• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Mobile Support Equipment Operator (MSE Op) [Merged]

I am just waiting to hear back on my medical and hopefully soon I will be joining the MSE crew!  Can some folks who are MSE Op tell me a little bit more about the trade? What will I be doing mostly? What type of vehicles will I drive; specifically when first starting out?  Will/can I do some/a lot of feild work?

Didn't see any replies from current MSE Ops, so here goes...

This won't be of help regarding current vehicles. Our primary work-horse was the M135.

But, perhaps the attitude has at least remained somewhat consistent.

In the Service Corps I was a Transport Operator, later they called us MSE Ops.

So, we operated vehicles. But, I learned much more than that. Like customer service.

As I understood it, the unit we were servicing paid our unit for our time. So, we tried to give the best service possible, as you were representing your unit to the "contracting" unit.

At least, that's the way I understood it.

So, operators who did good work, tended to be offered more runs.

On Time Performance. Safety and courtesy. That the uniform we wore represented our command of a military vehicle.

Personal appearance was important. So was keeping your vehicle well maintained and clean.

I think those lessons learned helped me later in my full-time career.

Another version of the MSE Op customer service story.

I was a Platoon Commander and my platoon was off to do some training with a local fire department off Garrison. The Pl WO requested a bus complete with financial code (as our unit did not have any) and sure enough on the morning of the training said bus magically appeared from Base Transport complete with MSE Op. As I am getting on the bus (last with my WO) I notice the MSE Op is not wearing any combat pants. Strange I thought.

Before we set off, I opted to inquire to my WO as to why the professional driver was not wearing combat pants, but rather in his issued army boxers. The WO remarked that indeed he also was somewhat surprised by this diversion from the Dress Regulations and common decorum and that the problem was that the MSE Op had accidently pissed himself whilst conducting his morning driver inspection and did not want to be late to a paying customer and hence... disposed on his pants and executed his duties.

I of course inquired to the WO if the MSE Op was sober and he assured me he was an we went off about our daily training to the fire department. At the end of training a new MSE Op (complete with pants) picked us up and returned us to Garrison.

I figured I should call my mate from the Mess who was the Base Transport Officer, as I suspected my WO was doing the same on the NCM-net ans I wanted to give him a heads up. First question from the Base Transport Officer (who was not at all phased by this event), "Was he sober this time?".

Single incident. Otherwise I have enjoyed working with MSE Ops over the years.

MC

Just know that you have about a 75% chance that your either going to Edmonton or Pet.

With Petawawa and Edmonton needing so many people {I refuse to use the term "bodies"} the Air force is in complete lack of hands right now. Younger poeple go to the field so that the experience and "older" guys get to go to the static bases and AF wings.
For anyone still kicking around here, is this still the case for MSEOP's esp fresh out of QL3? Or has the army and its needs changed since these were posted 15 years ago.

For clarification, I'd like to OT to MSEOP to drive a variety of vehicles on base/wing, I'm not a fan of being in the field from BMQ. My posting preferences would be Borden, Trenton, and Winnipeg. At least with MMT (formally Supply) our career managers sent all of us where we wanted across the country; so I'm not sure if the demands as an MSEOP would be different for the leeway of posting preferences with its career manager.

Thank you.

Hey guys, quick question here;

Going into the PRes as a MSE Op. I already have my Class 1 (Manual and air brake certified) license here in Quebec on my civilian driver's license. Does the CAF recognise this for semi-trucks or do I need to completely redo a course only for that specific vehicle ?

I'm still in the recruitment process, so I can't really ask the question to my CoC, hense why i'm asking here if you guys had any clue.

Many thanks.

Thanks mariomike ! I have a buddy who's MSE Op in the Reserve and he loves it as well.

PRes MSE-op here, does anyone know how long the QL3 is for PRes? I am in an infantry unit and My CoC hasn’t been able to give me a definitive answer, it’s been anywhere from 1 month to over 3 months and either in Edmonton or Borden. Any info would be great.

PRes MSE-op here, does anyone know how long the QL3 is for PRes? I am in an infantry unit and My CoC hasn’t been able to give me a definitive answer, it’s been anywhere from 1 month to over 3 months and either in Edmonton or Borden. Any info would be great.
I believe it's ~70ish days (little over 2 months). I'll probably be doing it in Valcartier this summer.

Last edited:
Thank you,and sorry if I’m being obtuse, but isn’t 7 weeks 49 days? Or is it 49 training days plus weekends and travel or something? in the “reserve handbook” it lists the QL3 at 39 days

Thank you,and sorry if I’m being obtuse, but isn’t 7 weeks 49 days? Or is it 49 training days plus weekends and travel or something? in the “reserve handbook” it lists the QL3 at 39 days
My bad. No clue where that 7 weeks came from 🤣 But i've been told that it's a little over 2 months long.

Back