• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

MND 2019

Either same old, same old; Karen McCrimmon; or somebody else.

That's my 100% guaranteed prediction.

dapaterson said:
Either same old, same old; Karen McCrimmon; or somebody else.

That's my 100% guaranteed prediction.

Geez. You'd think that someone who will be a ret'd LCol in an hour and ten minutes could be a little less general.

;D

Did a quick check of Karen McCrimmon's bio and she would seem to be a very credible candidate for MND.
Or is my "Sic itur ad astra" showing.  ;)

Baden Guy said:
Did a quick check of Karen McCrimmon's bio and she would seem to be a very credible candidate for MND.
Or is my "Sic itur ad astra" showing.  ;)

How does simply having been in the military make you a credible candidate to be the Minister of National Defence?  Does she have experience with the machinery of government?  Has she been in charge of a large and complex organisation before?  Does she have ties with industry, academia, or Allies that will assist in the conduct of her Ministerial duties?

Simply MND is a stepping stone to higher office and being female might be a bonus for the Government.

In some ways I'd rather have a MND with little experience in the military so they wouldn't be tainted by the inherited biases that their time in the service would produce.

My unicorn MND would have experience in international affairs, major project management in remote and/or rugged regions, and a PHD in history. Also this person would be able to stand up to senior bureaucrats (of all ministries), GOFO's, cabinet and the entitled little shytes in the PMO  ;D.

I'm not holding my breath for this type of person to be ever named MND. Their talents would be wasted there.

FSTO said:
In some ways I'd rather have a MND with little experience in the military so they wouldn't be tainted by the inherited biases that their time in the service would produce.

My unicorn MND would have experience in international affairs, major project management in remote and/or rugged regions, and a PHD in history. Also this person would be able to stand up to senior bureaucrats (of all ministries), GOFO's, cabinet and the entitled little shytes in the PMO  ;D.

I'm not holding my breath for this type of person to be ever named MND. Their talents would be wasted there.

This would require the PM, Cabinet and Caucus to actually believe that Defence is an important portfolio in the GoC.  I’m likely not the only one here to believe this is not the case. It is more of a secondary or even tertiary portfolio, used primarily to dispense a relatively large amount of discretionary Vote 1 and Vote 5 funding across various regions of the country.  True power (beneath PCO and PMO) is managed/effected within the halls of Treasury Board, Finance, Public Works and Foreign Affairs. 

:2c:

Regards
G2G

PPCLI Guy said:
Does she have experience with the machinery of government?  Has she been in charge of a large and complex organisation before?  Does she have ties with industry, academia, or Allies that will assist in the conduct of her Ministerial duties?

Are those requirements?  Because, y'know, it's 2019.

I was wondering too as to the various qualifications PPCLI Guy was looking for in a MND.

Let's see the current MND's quals before he took office:

Experience with machinery of Government: Nope!
In charge of large and complex organizations (unless you count a militia unit as such): Nope!
Ties with industry: Nope!
Ties with Academia: Nope!
Ties with Allies: Nope!

He's been there four years now. That's fairly uncommon these days (Since Richardson in 72' to 76', only Art Eagleton and Peter Mackay have had tenures of more than two/three years). Is he a great MND? Nope! Is he a bad one? Neither!

Since the post is not seen as highly important and he hasn't screwed up on protocol/public relations lately, I wouldn't be surprised if he continued in the job.

Oldgateboatdriver said:
I was wondering too as to the various qualifications PPCLI Guy was looking for in a MND.

In charge of large and complex organizations (unless you count a militia unit as such): Nope!

He's been there four years now. That's fairly uncommon these days (Since Richardson in 72' to 76', only Art Eagleton and Peter Mackay have had tenures of more than two/three years). Is he a great MND? Nope! Is he a bad one? Neither!

Since the post is not seen as highly important and he hasn't screwed up on protocol/public relations lately, I wouldn't be surprised if he continued in the job.
I wouldn't be surprised if the PM has forgotten we have a MND.

Oldgateboatdriver said:

Wait a minute, I thought he was an architect? :)

Over at Bourque.org, the rumour is that Pablo Rodriguez is going to be the next MND and that the current MND is going to Fisheries.

That and a Toonie will get you a cup of coffee at Tims....

SeaKingTacco said:
Over at Bourque.org, the rumour is that Pablo Rodriguez is going to be the next MND and that the current MND is going to Fisheries.

That and a Toonie will get you a cup of coffee at Tims....

I didn't know that Brison had stepped down.

Global's predicting only a fairly small shuffle to fill a few key gaps https://globalnews.ca/news/4839994/trudeau-cabinet-shuffle-prediction/

I'm more curious who will replace Goodale at Public Safety and Emergency Preparedness.  :pop:

Journeyman said:
I'm more curious who will replace Goodale at Public Safety and Emergency Preparedness.  :pop:

Blair? Or the current MND moves laterally (given he used to be a police officer)?

Journeyman said:

My guess is Mark Holland.....

daftandbarmy said:
I didn't know that Brison had stepped down.

Global's predicting only a fairly small shuffle to fill a few key gaps https://globalnews.ca/news/4839994/trudeau-cabinet-shuffle-prediction/

Given that prediction was for a shuffle back in January...

Back