• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

MMEV (Multi-Mission Effects Vehicle)

• Thread starter Herecomesthegun
  • Start date
'Pologies most humble Blackshirt - but "Hippie?"  You go too far. ;D

Rocket Man said:
Then again, it wouldn't be a "M"MEV anymore, would it?  Imagine how bothered the Project Office would be if they had to change all their stationary!

Just add an "s" to the end of the title.  ;)

" Power mgt is really going to suck on this vehicle.  Not only that, but we're considering throwing an active suspension on the thing too, to provide autolevelling and on-the-move surveillance and engagement capabilities (obviously not the laser-beam rider, but possibly for another missile).  The hybrid configuration that would be required to provide all that power would have to be based on a turbine, similar to the existing ADATS PPU."

- Noisy, high-idling stationary power hungry vehicles in a tactical non-linear environment do not contain crews - only dead men awaiting their own throat slitting at the convenience of the enemy.

Tom

Just thinking a bit more about this and considering the implications of distributing capabilities on different platforms.

Couldn't these vehicles (34) be configured as launchers and brigaded with the Coyotes for INdirect fire support. As I understand it the Coyotes have a 10-20 km surveillance range which is to be enhanced by adding UAVs.  Combining munitions with an 8-14 km range  (Spike-ER/Hellfire/Brimstone, Starstreak/Crotale VT-1, CRV-7/APKWS) on one launcher, a Multi-Mission EFFECTS Vehicle, with the sensor capability of the Coyote Squadron and similar mobility - might that not make some sense?

Then, as a-majoor, Blackshirt and others have suggested add a missile capability to the existing LAVIIIs and supplement with a functional DFS vehicle for the close battle (<5km).

Next layer back from Coyote/MMEV is M777/Netfires/Himars-GMRLS (40-100 km),  What is a compatible Air Defence Missile with comparable range?

The Theatre Control group presumably would be dealing with munitions and sensors at the >250 km range.

As I understand the current "jargon" effects are what happens to the guy at the receiving end.  Therefore any vehicle that can deliver multiple munitions against multiple types of targets is delivering multiple effects.

If you turn these vehicles into Indirect Fire Support Vehicles - Missile then they are still MMEVs and you don't have to change the stationary.

Cheers again.

I just wanted to post a picture of a concept MMEV, a version I hadn't seen before, having gone off of the ones from CASR. I found it while perusing through Jane's website. I do apologize, if it is a repost. seems rather ungainly and obviously heavy from the top. the inclusion of a PWS seems like an odd afterthought, given its location.

p1116661.jpg

PatrickO said:
I just wanted to post a picture of a concept MMEV
Not seen.  Are you hot linking to a picture in the subscriber section?

Captain Sensible said:
HESH requires a rifled barrel in order to make it work.  Failing that, it would have to get its spin from fins,
Or change to a fuze that is not armed by spinning.  The HESH main charge is not dependant on spin to function.  The fin system could be the same one used to keep HEAT going straight once it leaves a smooth bore.

Canadian government and Oerlikon Contraves/Rheinmetall developed a new technology and mobile system called " MMEV " ( Multi-Mission Effects Vehicle ) this vehicle is a new version of ADATS but this time the ADATS will be integrated into a 8×8 wheeled LAV III.
MMEV.jpg

The MMEV equipement :
- 4x Air Defense Anti-Tank System
- 2x CRV7
- 2x IRIS-T
- 1x SAGEM Sperwer
- 1x Protector M151 7.62 mm machine gun
- 1x X-Tar 3D radar
- 2x Skyshield 35mm

The MMEV was Designed in 2005 and will be introduced in Canadian forces in 2010 it is a ADATS Variants but modernized (nothing new maybe his system like the Links 11/15 and X-tar 3D radar). The MMEV is a anti-tank/anti-aircraft like the ADATS but more moderns is the only Multi-System in the world, built by the German industry Rheinmetall and Oerlikon Contraves.

http://ca.youtube.com/watch?v=D2Wa2skbj08 here is a promotional video about the MMEV system. And yes the pictures is a fake one because  the MMEV isn't yet ready you can see a half production here http://www.armyrecognition.com/europe/France/Eurosatory/Eurosatory_2006/pictures/pictures_2006/MMEV_ArmyRecognition_Eurosatory_2006.JPG it is only a cheap demonstration of our future MMEV system. Some nation like turkey think buying some Canadian MMEV

Nice PhotoShop, but not good enough to not be an obviouse PhotoShop job.

As for this topheavy vehicle being announced as going into production, well that seems to be a mistake.

Dunno.... was going by the workshop's work in progress parking the other day - saw a bunch of Engineer APCs in line for their turn at a rejuvenation cure.  At their side were a bunch of APCs with TOW spraypainted on their rear ramp.... can mean one of 2 things - either it couldn't make it under it's own means OR vehicle destined for TOW and possibly TUA

WRT the MMEVs - thought the MMEV LAV hulls have been returned to regular service as LAVIIIs - make up for some of the war losses

geo said:
Dunno.... was going by the workshop's work in progress parking the other day - saw a bunch of Engineer APCs in line for their turn at a rejuvenation cure.  At their side were a bunch of APCs with TOW spraypainted on their rear ramp.... can mean one of 2 things - either it couldn't make it under it's own means OR vehicle destined for TOW and possibly TUA

WRT the MMEVs - thought the MMEV LAV hulls have been returned to regular service as LAVIIIs - make up for some of the war losses

If they're in for refit, I suspect "TOW" is an instruction, not a destination.

- The more systems we plie onto a vehicle, the more time the vehicle will spend in a maint bay.

I thought the MMEV was dead and gone (like the MGS).

This is like some grade "B" zombie movie........("Dawn of the System of Systems", or maybe "28 hulls later"....)  >:D

TCBF said:
- The more systems we plie onto a vehicle, the more time the vehicle will spend in a maint bay.

That perfectly sums up the Bisons I drove overseas.... 3 engine+tranny replacements in 7 months....

The MMEV's passed on! This vehicle is no more! It has ceased to be! It's expired and gone to meet it's maker! It's a stiff! Bereft of life, It rests in peace!  It's metabolic processes are now 'istory! It's off the twig! It's kicked the bucket, It's shuffled off it's mortal coil, run down the curtain and joined the bleedin' choir invisibile!! THIS IS AN EX-VEHICLE!!

(Apologies to Monty Python)

IIRC, the hulls originally destined for MMEV are now being converted to LAV RWS...but I've been wrong before.

Teddy Ruxpin said:
IIRC, the hulls originally destined for MMEV are now being converted to LAV RWS...but I've been wrong before.
considering some of the LAV III losses we've incurred, I would venture to say that we have enough "spare" turrets & chain guns to fit onto the MMEV LAV hulls.

PuckChaser said:
That perfectly sums up the Bisons I drove overseas.... 3 engine+tranny replacements in 7 months....

Hope that isn't a demonstration of your driving skills >:D

geo said:
Hope that isn't a demonstration of your driving skills >:D

I only got to drive once! Trying to remember if we went in for repairs after that.  8)

geo said:
considering some of the LAV III losses we've incurred, I would venture to say that we have enough "spare" turrets & chain guns to fit onto the MMEV LAV hulls.

No, as I understand it, there's no effort to "rebuild MMEV" into a true LAV III.  They're RWS.

Back