• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

MMA Anyone?

haha .. didn't catch it unfortunately :(

Lodune was friggen hilarious with his gay hijinks and all.

You find it funny how in Ep. 2 or something Chris remarked how Diego won't get that contract cause he'll knock him out first or something?

Ohhh Chris ya poor fool if you only knew then...

Hind sights ALWAYS 20/20. I dont like Diego, really hope Kenny puts the stomp on him...

Wow really?? I think Diego is a machine. Why don't you like him?

Simply because of his attitude. I just hate the "Im a beast and worship me" attitude, some of the things he's said to the interview camera have made me laugh as I've heard the same thing from fellow nemesis' on the playground in grade 5...

He has a good ground game, but his stand up seems weak IMO. When he ground and pounded Rafferty, he barelyy bruised him. I'm more of a fan of fighters who are well rounded, ie. Ken Shamrock. Excellent ground game and has extremely heavy hands. I like Stephan just because he doesnt feel the need to beat his chest and grunt to the other fighters. i've always said, the one who talks the most simply has the most to prove. NOW, I have a funny feeling he's going to get over kenny, simply because kenny took that win from lebel on a whim. he had his @ss handed to him up until he got that elbow in, i dont think he's going to get that lucky twice in a row.

Stephan simply has trained with Crosley Gracie, has a fairly extensive kickboxing background, and he just seems comfortable in any situation. Diego on the other hand looks out of place on his feet, and really showed it by failing to knockout Koscheck in 3 rounds. I mean, you've got a weak hook if you can catch someone that many times, and although he bruised him up pretty bad, barely rocked him. The same effect can be made with a plastic garbage can to the forehead, sure its gonna sting but nothing more. If he does win, I have much doubt that he's going to be fairing well up against the current UFC roster. Stephan and Forest are really the only guys i have confidence in, and 1 of them is on his way out tonight...

Ah but in the 3 months Diego could have worked on his stand up game more.. we'll have to see tonight. One thing is for sure is that it's gonna be great.

Between Stephan and Forrest, I don't care who wins I like em both. I do think that Diego will beat Kenny though.

BTW you seen the commercials for the finale? Doesn't Stephan look like a complete psycho when it shows him smiling at the camera?

Well after round 1 the light heavyweight fight is shaping up to be an absolut fucking war. One of the best fights I have seen in a long time.

What an amazing end! I am so glad for Bonnar, he deserved it as much as Griffin! Diego kicked Kenflo's ass ... who I am left wondering as to why he didn't do anything!

Not an exceedingly technical fight, but then often times 'technical' is just a word thrown around by snobby elitist 'martial artists' to describe inaction and postering on the mat.

That was a full 15 minutes of war, with all the blood sweat and adrenalin to go along with it. Given the choice between 'technical' and 'maximum aggression', I'd rather watch two guys pound the living shit out of each other for 15 minutes. (When the skill is there, agression will always beat excessive dwelling on technique anyway)

The Diego and kenny fight went pretty much as i had expected it to go. Kenny had a lucky break with leben, but you can only get lucky so many times...

The Forest and Stephan was simply amazing. it was funny, because in the 2nd round i said something along the lines of "the way this is going, both of them should get the contract". If i had to pick 1 of them to get it, I would have chosen Forest. he's living on a friends floor, no car..nothing. He even said on the show, "all my stuff is in an 8x10 storage unit". Stephan has a job, house and family..but it works out well since they both got it.

I was quite dissapointed in the Shamrock/Franklin fight though. Is it just me or did Shamrock not seem his usual explosive self? The wet mat didnt help him any, but nonetheless... his defence while on the ground wasnt exactly a smart choice.

For those who dont know already, heres how the prelim fights went.

Mike Swick won by KO in 20 seconds into the first round via punches against Alex S.
Sam Hogar defeated Bobby Southworth by unanimous decision, by scores of 29-28 (twcie) and 30-28
Koscheck KO's Sanford (Punch) 4:21 Round 1
Leben TKO Thacker (Strikes) 1:35 Round 1
Nate Quarry beats Louden Sincaid by TKO at 3:17 of the second round, via punches

I was surprised in josh and Sam, who knew Josh knew how to punch!?  ;D :o

Well I'd like to get in on the Steve and Shortbus show here. I'm a MMA, I do Judo and BJJ, I've done some TKD also and want to get into Krav Maga and Combat Sambo ( the latter two not being offered here in St.John's) The Ultimate Fighter Live the other night rocked, jeez that Bonner, Forest fight was probably the best strikers match I've ever seen. (although Taktarov and Abbot and Shamrock did have some good ones back in the day) I do have to disagree with your statements about fighting going to the ground, and I've seen it all, as I have worked as a bouncer in a club (4 years) The reason it ends up on the ground is instinct, when a guy gets pounded by a fist his natural reaction is to get as close to the other guy as possible thus shortening the puches and the impact. If you know what to do when you get a guy on the ground, then you're in good stead. So I would have to say that it's better to be a grappler who can strike rather than a striker who is ok at grappling.  :salute:

Island Ryhno said:
Well I'd like to get in on the Steve and Shortbus show here. I'm a MMA, I do Judo and BJJ, I've done some TKD also and want to get into Krav Maga and Combat Sambo ( the latter two not being offered here in St.John's) The Ultimate Fighter Live the other night rocked, jeez that Bonner, Forest fight was probably the best strikers match I've ever seen. (although Taktarov and Abbot and Shamrock did have some good ones back in the day) I do have to disagree with your statements about fighting going to the ground, and I've seen it all, as I have worked as a bouncer in a club (4 years) The reason it ends up on the ground is instinct, when a guy gets pounded by a fist his natural reaction is to get as close to the other guy as possible thus shortening the puches and the impact. If you know what to do when you get a guy on the ground, then you're in good stead. So I would have to say that it's better to be a grappler who can strike rather than a striker who is ok at grappling.   :salute:
Combat Sombo's a good show. Picture your typical reverse-lever or revers knot armbar  only now put a knife in the guy's hand and don't get sliced or poked while you are trying to trap the joint. See where this can get fun?

I am going to disagree with you on your last assertion, thoough. I'd say it's better not to define yourself as either. Make sure you have an A-game standing up and on the ground.

I think it was Randy Couture that said its better to be a grappler that can strike, than a striker that can box. I could be wrong though.

NOW, on the other hand, I've had the pleasure of chatting with a UFC fighter Jens "Lil Evil" Pulver

JENS%20PULVER.jpg

His advice was simple. The better rounded you are, the easier it is to roll. NEVER isolate your training to grappling or striking. When he trains, he follows the similar training schedule as Team Quests MMA does, 1 day grappling, the next striking and alternating throughout the week. As well, its always best to dedicate the end of the week to light sparring or simply focusing on how to implement elements of your ground game into your striking game. Myself, I'm focusing on my BJJ first. once comfortable, im moving over to Thai Kickboxing and going to begin implementing the 2. Then, i hope to begin some organized amateur fights, but ONLY when I'm confident that my game is not superior, but rounded.

God I love that guy, always puts on a good show.

But yeah, UFC 52 Couture vs Lidell is on in 14 minutes.. Woot  :threat:

I've been madly refreshing this webpage providing live up to date summaries of the fights ...

...I'm just waiting to read how round 1 ends.

I tried to get it but Shilo Cablevision is such --BS--, cheap bastards want me to get the digital cable box before I can order PPV. To hell with that crap.

Liddel KO'ed Couture in 2:06 of the first round. From what I've been told, it wasnt half as exciting as their initial fight.

9R Domestic said:
Steve, you should have come to the Junior Ranks last night, they had it on.

Bloody hell! I wish I had have known that.. I thought they just got that WWE crap for PPV, not UFC

Sorry to revive an old thread, but figured it was due for an update. I've began training at Rebellion Jiu-Jitsu here at Victoria Park and Gorden Baker (close to Steeles) and couldnt be more impressed with the calibre of trainers, fellow trainees and the training provided. Anyone with a slight interest in kick Boxing, Jiu-Jitsu, or MMA should defiantly check the club out.

I've sparred a bit (tonight in fact) and despite a banged nose from an accidental knee, am fairing pretty good with winning 3 spars out of 4. A little eye candy, me and the boys after Ex fooling around with our technique...  ;D

ArmyGrappleCompitition.jpg

Too much fun, much love to my "partner" in the image. Im the bald one

Hey, cool pic. The National Judo Championships were held here in St.John's over the past weekend, it was a great event. BTW here is the link to my club, some cool videos and pics on there. www.judoclub.ca

I've always found judo interesting...u throw em down, I'll submit em  ;D

Back