• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

MLVW restrictions

Dwight Schrute said:
I can't believe the CF are still using MLVW's. They must be literally falling apart. They were in rough shape when I got out 22 years ago!

Believe it, our procurement system at its finest. We only start thinking about replacing a vehicle when they're so worn down they need to be grounded.

Apparently the LSVW is going to go on parking ground sometime in the next year or two, no replacement even talked about yet.

Dwight Schrute said:
I can't believe the CF are still using MLVW's. They must be literally falling apart. They were in rough shape when I got out 22 years ago!

Say what you want about the age of the vehice, on average I find it to be the most reliable vehicle of the ones I use (MLVW, LSVW and MILCOT) and I can depend on it starting when it is cold out.

I remember like it was yesterday the first time I drove an MLVW (had less than a 1000 k on it) in 84, in the mo. The MLVWs in 3PPCLI when I got out in 89 were thrashed, almost 10 years old at that point.

Grimaldus said:
The MSVS is a Great machine.

The CF picked an excellent vehicle to replace the MLVW.

:salute:

I don't know how often you've been in an MSVS or driven one , but the truck is not nearly as good as you think it is . It sucks off road especially when do troop lift and the only thing(s) i like about it are it has a radio AC and coffee cup holders other then that give me an ML any day of the week and twice on sunday when in the field

The MSVS-MILCOTS is best suited for highway movement......

Yep, the MSVS-SMP is supposed to be the offroad tactical beast.

I do love the MLVW, but time has simply caught up to them. I don't ever think I've had a breakdown with one, while LSVWs are consistently on the VM shop floor.

The MSVS takes forever to debus as well. Because it's so high, you are basically stuck in the back until someone comes around and attaches the ladder. At least with the MLVW you can jump down fairly easily, especially when you have a trailer or a gun you can use.

jeffb said:
The MSVS takes forever to debus as well. Because it's so high, you are basically stuck in the back until someone comes around and attaches the ladder. At least with the MLVW you can jump down fairly easily, especially when you have a trailer or a gun you can use.

You do realize that with the new gun tractor, all the crew sits in the cab now.... the cargo box will be for ammo, stores, kit, etc.....

Same is true of the ENGR SEV......

I didn't know that. I haven't seen an MSVS being used as a gun tractor yet. That does seem like a better plan though.

jeffb said:
I didn't know that. I haven't seen an MSVS being used as a gun tractor yet. That does seem like a better plan though.

It's because the gun tractor and sev's haven't been fielded yet........

As of today my MLVW course was officially cancelled.... I'm definitely not speaking in an official capacity, but it sounds like all MLs in 39 CBG are grounded.

I'm waiting to be issued shotguns to take the ML out behind the POL shed and pull an "ol Yeller"......

*Sniff Sniff* I'll miss ya old Boy.....    ;D

When we first got our MLVW, we took it on a slightly rough trail and the front spring mount sheared off the frame, not an inspiring start to their career.

Colin P said:
When we first got our MLVW, we took it on a slightly rough trail and the front spring mount sheared off the frame, not an inspiring start to their career.

True... Though at roughly 30 years in service, they certainly have held up.... 

I'm sad to see them go, on one hand, but thankful that they are finally being retired on the other... its just time...

More like 25 years, entered inventory in 1986. Clearly we need a new truck, not an updated Deuce and a half, but that's what you get from a primarily skidoo manufacturer.

Tango18A said:
More like 25 years, entered inventory in 1986. Clearly we need a new truck, not an updated Deuce and a half, but that's what you get from a primarily skidoo manufacturer.
1986? We were getting them in Lahr in 1983. I rember doing a tool swap from the cage on a Deuce to an MLVW in Hollenfells at the start of the fall Ex.

The official CFR is 86-xxxxx. The first 2 numbers being the date of entry into inventory. Not that I can't say you didn't have them, but every MLVW that I have run across in 20+ years has been an 86-xxxxx.

Maybe we had the first run sent overseas to bolster our NATO conmitment.

From the DND Internet site in ref to the MLVWs.  I have seen MLVW CFRs from 82 to 86.

Specifications:
Weight: 6.3 – 7.8 tonnes (depending on variant)
Payload: Off-road – 2.27 tonnes / Highway – 5 tonnes
Engine: Detroit Diesel, 8.2 litre, V-6
Maximum speed: 90 km/h
Entered service: 1982
Number acquired: 2,769

Back