• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Minimum Wage

C

cheechue

The minimum wage in Ontario is about to go up to $7.15 I believe...as recently announced by the new Ontario Liberal Government. Does that mean we will get a raise to match the changes?

I wouldn‘t think, The wages are all set the same across the country. So if they raised the wage in Ontario they would have to raise it out here in Halifax as well. Which wouldn‘t make much sense since our minimum wage is something along the lines of $6.50.

in BC, it‘s 8 dollars. god bless the NDP. god bless.

wages are set by province
MB it‘s 6.75 *going up to 7 come april

I think cheech was asking if his military pay would go up if Ontario raised minimum wage.
And the Military wage wouldn‘t go up because that is set evenly all across the country it depends on rank.

I imagine if it fell below all the minimum wages of each province then they might make a change, but I don‘t think an individual province‘s adjustment would force the CF to ammend their system.

If you divide a full day‘s pay by 24 hrs (if you work a full day and stay somewhere overnight) then it amounts to less then minimum wage anyway for alot of ranks so it shouldn‘t make a difference.

Yeah that‘s true, I think it works out to about 3.40 an hour here for a new private on a full day (24 hours)
I make 3.80 an hour for a full day.
But it balances out, they give you free food, board and clothes.
Besides that, anyone who complains about how much they make, knows exactly where they can go.

I used to work at blockbuster. By the hour, making minimum wage, I made more money there then I do now as a reservist. On the other hand, my paycheck now per week amounts to a great deal more then it did then... why? Because once I got to 40 hours, they wouldn‘t let me work any more...

It all balances out... sure, hourly, you could make more elsewhere, but at the end of the pay period, you make less. You also never hear the words "Oooooh... a man in uniform" uttered towards a MacDonalds emloyee ;)

Free food, board and clothes (uniform) while you‘re working!
And You don‘t actually work 24 hours straight (sometimes) but you are on the clock for 24 hours if you‘re training sometimes.

Wednesday night parades are 3 hours, generally. A corporal makes 50 bucks for a 1/2 day, or 16.67 an hour for these three hours. It does even out over time; for a Saturday of training from 0800-1630, say 8 hours with an unpaid half hour for lunch, for a corporal that is still 12.50 an hour. If you take away all the time spent just standing around, rest breaks between periods, etc. and all the times you get dismissed early...well, you do the math.

For the 24 hour duty periods, did we factor in FOA? That‘s roughly a dollar an hour more. If you‘re not in the field or away from the unit on a range somewhere, you‘re probably not doing more than 8 hours.

None of us joined the army for the great wages and the dental plan and I doubt a few cents added to ontario‘s minimum wage would really amount to anything substantial for us. It‘s a hard life, hard wage and we like it like that because if it were easy, where would the Navy get their recruits from? :)

I know when I miss work on the weekends (sorry don‘t have a m-f 9-5 job yet) I take a fairly substantial pay cut but I love it and won‘t trade it away for anything!

AlphaB said:
Contrary to most merchants, Costco is siding with Obama in his call to increase the federal minimum wage to $9 an hour. In fact, it would do the President one better, supporting a minimum hourly wage of $10.10. Resource for this article: why right visit https://personalmoneynetwork.com/cash-advance/?
Holy necropost; this thread -- under Canadian Military wages -- has been dead for 10 years, and you bring it back to argue for AMERICAN CIVILIAN MINIMUM WAGES?!

:facepalm:

Journeyman said:
Holy necropost; this thread -- under Canadian Military wages -- has been dead for 10 years, and you bring it back to argue for AMERICAN CIVILIAN MINIMUM WAGES?!

:facepalm:
Sheer genius...this should be a new competition

Living wage in London, Ontario would be $16.55, or lowest living wage in Ontario at $16.20:

Sudbury at $16.98:

Metro Vancouver would be $20.52:

Edmonton at $18.10:

Halifax would be at $22.05:

Back