• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Military Service on your Resume

runormal said:
You need to provide enough context information so that they can understand but try not to get lost in a sea of acronyms.

They seem to have a Military Skills Translator in the US. Do they also have it in Canada?

“develop a comprehensive, algorithmic, military skills translation software tool to facilitate CF members to obtain civilian employment upon release”.
http://www.parl.gc.ca/Content/HOC/Committee/412/FINA/WebDoc/WD6615327/412_FINA_PBC2014_Briefs%5CMonsterGovernmentSolutions-e.pdf

Having successfully developed a Military Skills Translator for the U.S.,

mariomike said:
They seem to have a Military Skills Translator in the US. Do they also have it in Canada?

“develop a comprehensive, algorithmic, military skills translation software tool to facilitate CF members to obtain civilian employment upon release”.
http://www.parl.gc.ca/Content/HOC/Committee/412/FINA/WebDoc/WD6615327/412_FINA_PBC2014_Briefs%5CMonsterGovernmentSolutions-e.pdf

Having successfully developed a Military Skills Translator for the U.S.,

I know I have already posted this link on army.ca before, but here it is again, a "translator" of your Canadian military skills, Trades, Rank, etc. :

http://www.forces.gc.ca/en/business-reservist-support/tools-resume-writing-guide.page

I used the company at www.bestfootforward.co to build my resume for me.  It is a Canadian company that is familiar with the MPRR, PDR, and such.  They also offer a military discount.  They did a wonderful job with mine. 

Hello all,

As a Part-time Reservist, when is it appropriate to add your military service onto your Resume/LinkedIn profile?
Can you do so immediately upon enrollment? After you've been in your unit for a few weeks? After completing BMQ? At the end of DP1?

I have conducted some hiring in my career, and I would say that if I were hiring a young engineer who had been through BMQ, I would view it as favorable. However, I also don't want to violate any unspoken rules of conduct.

ACE_Engineer said:
As a Part-time Reservist, when is it appropriate to add your military service onto your Resume/LinkedIn profile?

When you can back it up with CAF documentation?

No rules ive ever seen,  it's your current employment. I listed my experience while serving in the reserves and trying to get a Co-Op job in college. As long as you're truthful, have at it.

Sent from my SM-G973W using Tapatalk

Don't be afraid to emphasis what you have learned/achieved in the military that is pertinent to the job your applying for. So if you have forklift on your 404's and your applying for a warehouse job, make sure you state that you were trained and qualified on forklifts. Military jargon and acronyms do not translate to the civilian world. 

Don't forget to include stuff about gender based analysis training (seriously) , training on sexual harassment prevention, first aid.

Probably quite a few things from bmq that you can help sell yourself.  Like PuckChaser said be honest.

Jarnhamar said:
Don't forget to include stuff about gender based analysis training (seriously) , training on sexual harassment prevention, first aid.

Probably quite a few things from bmq that you can help sell yourself.  Like PuckChaser said be honest.

Transport Sergeant = Vehicle Fleet Manager

I concur with the others - team environment etc

There are tools available to map military experience to the civilian workforce; I know a MSE Op who leveraged his military fleet management experience into a job where "OMG! When I travel on long trips overseas to do simple fleet management stuff, they send me in business class and I F***IN' LOVE IT!"

Back