• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Military Making Pitch to Aboriginal Youth ($1,200 bonus for aboriginals)

scm77

Inactive
Reaction score
Military making pitch to aboriginal youth
Last updated May 25 2005 05:08 PM ADT
CBC News
FREDERICTON â “ The Canadian military has started a public relations and recruiting campaign in an effort to attract more aboriginal people to its ranks.

Lt.-Col. Bruce Parks says native people make up just five per cent of the armed forces right now. He says the military needs to do a better rob reflecting the native population in Canada.

"It's a concern when we don't have the proper representation," Parks said at CFB Gagetown, where the new recruitment campaign was being unveiled.

"In the Department of National Defence we would like to see the percentage at least equal to the percentage of aboriginals in within Canada. That's our goal and we are moving towards that goal."

A specific target for aboriginal recruits has not been set.

But the military's Aboriginal Entry Program is offering financial incentives to boost the numbers.

Native people who sign up will receive $1,200 for successfully completing the pre-recruitment training course.

The military is also working to forge ties with aboriginal people in the far north of Canada, where current recruitment levels are low.

Sgt. Charles Paul says he hopes to use his own experience as an aboriginal person to encourage others to join up.

"It's a great way of life," Paul said.

"There is a great opportunity to join the military see the world and finish their education."

Paul also said the military gives native people in struggling communities the chance to escape from poverty.

http://nb.cbc.ca/regional/servlet/View?filename=nb-recruiting20050525&ref=rss
----------------------
Sorry if I'm going in over my head here, but am I the only one who thinks that the military should only be looking for the best people for the job, not the people who are going to best reflect the diversity of Canada?

I know several Native Canadians in the CF and their service has been nothing but top notch and exemplary.

That's it CF - throw money at something as a fix.... ::)

I like how we have incentives based upon ethnicity now - so much for "We are all Green", or whatever that line was.

The answer isn't money for Natives, it's image.  Desmond Morton's Understanding Canadian Defence does a pretty good job of addressing the issue: 

2. Mohawks living near Montreal have their own proud warrior tradition, backed by war memorials for all of Canada's twentieth-century wars.  Today many Mohawks do terrifying work, such as building high steel towers in New York.  Mohawks want the young men of their community to get military experience.  These days, Canadian Forces' "basic" isn't good enough, Dr Taiaiake Alfred of the Kahnewahke reserve told me.  Mohawk warriors choose the US Marine Corps boot camp because American Lethernecks make no-nonsense soldiers.

pg - 127

Answer - let's move away from the image of the goofy, smiling recruit and the notion of the "peacekeeper" - Afghanistan is the start for us.

Agreed Infanteer, I was under the impression from scm77s post he did not think it was worth the CFs time to try and recruit Natives into the CF.

Sorry if I'm going in over my head here, but am I the only one who thinks that the military should only be looking for the best people for the job, not the people who are going to best reflect the diversity of Canada?

My reasoning is bolded.

Ex-Dragoon said:
Agreed Infanteer, I was under the impression from scm77s post he did not think it was worth the CFs time to try and recruit Natives into the CF.

That's not what I meant at all.  Sorry if it sounded like that.

What I meant was shouldn't they be targeting the BEST people for the job regardless of race/religion/gender

Infanteer said
I like how we have incentives based upon ethnicity now - so much for "We are all Green", or whatever that line was.

That basically echoes my thoughts.  I don't care if the person is black, white, brown or purple, male or female, gay or straight.  They should be recruited based on their skills and performance, not given a bonus incentive because there skin is a different colour then the skin of the majority of other soldiers).

Hopefully that's clearer now. Sorry for the confusion :)

Edited to remove a question mark that I put in the wrong spot :-[

From a brief look at StatsCan's web site, 2001 census data indicate about 4.5% of Canadians claimed North American Indian or Metis heritage.  Unless the population balance has shifted violently in the past four years, a 5% representation in the CF would be _over-representation_.  Is that still a problem, or is the 5% figure cited incorrect?

Wow, its great that people will get an added bonus simply for having the right skin pigment. Best person for the job regardless of what they look like.

Dare I say it out load; sounds racist to me.  Someone miss their SHARP training.

I agree ARG - either everyone is equal, or they are not. This is the kind of stuff that I hate...

I wonder what study identified this as a good way to spend tax dollars? I don't think it's racist for other at-risk youth or minority groups to feel offended by this offer based soley on race and nothing else. Go to any inner city school in Vancouver and you will see poor white kids, chinese kids, korean kids, black kids, etc.

There are plenty of disadvantaged youth and plenty of minority groups that could benefit from military training and the brotherhood/sisterhood that goes along with that life. And $1,200 would be a nice incentive for them too. I think it's just another way of the government acting as if they care. (dare I say buying votes?). I have no problem with wanting more representation from minority groups. If they want to attract a certain group into the military then so be it, but I hope it is being funded from the Ministry responsible for that group, not from the defense budget.

I disagree. A few incentives at the start of the recruiting pipe specifically targeted at trying to increase the representation of some groups is acceptable to me. It's miles ahead of quota systems where standards are lowered for some groups so some politically correct mix is achieved. Such a system if overdone could skew the applicant pool but $1500 just isn't that large of a pile of money.

Brad Sallows said:
From a brief look at StatsCan's web site, 2001 census data indicate about 4.5% of Canadians claimed North American Indian or Metis heritage.  Unless the population balance has shifted violently in the past four years, a 5% representation in the CF would be _over-representation_.  Is that still a problem, or is the 5% figure cited incorrect?

I agree. By not including the target figure and how it was arrived at the article is lacking. Such information has to available as it would be very dishonest to ask for support in solving a problem that hasn't even been confirmed as existing. Leaving it out of the article or not researching deeper to find the information shows a lack of judgement on the part of the CBC.

A guess on my part is with the aboriginal population increasing faster than the general population the % will shift some over the years. Perhaps as well the numbers entering the forces each year has been declining and while the current figure is good looking at graphs of future trends shows a decline. Thats just guesses however I am very much interested in the actual target and how it was arrived at.

It's a bad policy any way you look at it or try and justify it,why give a bonus to one group but not another?? That is not an equal policy why shouldn't all recruits be offered the same. Pathetic truely pathetic.

MG34 said:
It's a bad policy any way you look at it or try and justify it,why give a bonus to one group but not another?? That is not an equal policy why shouldn't all recruits be offered the same. Pathetic truely pathetic.

Exactly.

Like I said earlier, toughen up the image and training, and the right people will come....

Another Recce Guy said:
Dare I say it out load; sounds racist to me.

I was going to say that but was afraid to, but now that I see I am not alone...

I think that yes, it is racist to pay someone doing the same job more ($1200 bonus) because of their skin colour/ethnic background.

Note that the article (if true - has anyone verified it?) claims the bounty is paid for completion of pre-recruitment training.  Am I correct to assume this is some form of military socialization aimed at natives?  If so, what other identifiable groups with non-military cultural traditions or distrust of the military are under-represented in the CF, and why are they not treated to equal consideration?

On line references to the Canadian Forces Aboriginal Entry Program (CFAEP) make no inference that this is a "bonus" for the "same" work. The candidates, after an initial selection process, attend the Pre-Recruit Training Course (PRTC) Farnham as civilians and receive a bonus for completing three weeks introductory training before they complete the recruiting process - which helps them and us ensure we are recruiting candidates most likely to survive and enjoy military life.

http://www.recruiting.forces.gc.ca/engraph/news/details_e.aspx?id=296
http://static.highbeam.com/w/windspeaker/april012000/canadianforceshasnewaboriginalentryprogram/

The program falls under initiatives to meet the requirements of the Employment Equity Act:

http://laws.justice.gc.ca/en/E-5.401/

EMPLOYMENT EQUITY

Employer Obligations
Employer's duty

5. Every employer shall implement employment equity by

(a) identifying and eliminating employment barriers against persons in designated groups that result from the employer's employment systems, policies and practices that are not authorized by law; and

(b) instituting such positive policies and practices and making such reasonable accommodations as will ensure that persons in designated groups achieve a degree of representation in each occupational group in the employer's workforce that reflects their representation in

(i) the Canadian workforce, or

(ii) those segments of the Canadian workforce that are identifiable by qualification, eligibility or geography and from which the employer may reasonably be expected to draw employees.

http://www.psc-cfp.gc.ca/centres/definitions_and_notes_e.htm#d
Employment Equity Designated Groups

Employment equity designated groups as defined by the Employment Equity Act include women, Aboriginal peoples, persons with disabilities and members of visible minorities.

I would love to see someone like Paul Martin stand up and announce a $1200 bonus for young white males to join up.  I don't understand how giving aboriginals $1200 isn't a racist  stance if doing the same for a white or whatever other race would be.  Don't get me wrong I have no problems with aboriginals, or people of any other origin becoming members of the CF or any other work force for that matter I just don't think we as taxpayers should have to bribe them to achieve the result.

mbhabfan said:
I would love to see someone like Paul Martin stand up and announce a $1200 bonus for young white males to join up.   I don't understand how giving aboriginals $1200 isn't a racist   stance if doing the same for a white or whatever other race would be.   Don't get me wrong I have no problems with aboriginals, or people of any other origin becoming members of the CF or any other work force for that matter I just don't think we as taxpayers should have to bribe them to achieve the result.

So all of those high school kids who sign up for the paid Army Reserve Co-op programs (and at the end of the semester they elect not to stay in the reserves)... You would call that what....? Or yeah, and when we send cadets to summer camp and give them a training bonus, that is.....what?

Clearly, most on this thread don't understand the history or the aim of the CFAEP and in fact diversity issues and challenges in general.  Do some research. Read up on the program and its history. Veterans Affairs has an excellent book entitled Native Soldiers Foreign Battlefields that chronicles Aboriginal achievements in Canada's 20th century wars.

And cut out the qualifying statement "Don't get me wrong, I have no problems with..."  This statement is easily interpreted as bigotry.

Back