• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Member of Canadian Forces Arrested in incident at Rideau Hall

RomeoJuliet said:
Veritas means truth correct.

I trust you are not equating the PA Branch with ‘Pravda’ the Russian ‘newspaper’...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well, some of us call it the Red (or People's) Army Daily...  ;)

RomeoJuliet said:
Veritas means truth correct.

I trust you are not equating the PA Branch with ‘Pravda’ the Russian ‘newspaper’...

Not at all.

Pravda was timely.

;)

RomeoJuliet said:
PAO’s don’t speculate nor are they poor writers.

Veritas

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My experience in Federal service showed that quality and knowledge of those charged with Public Affairs and media enquires varied wildly from very good to god awful. After the Thompson case, my opinion of the Crown in Ontario is extremely low.

Colin P said:
My experience in Federal service showed that quality and knowledge of those charged with Public Affairs and media enquires varied wildly from very good to god awful.
Same same - with a similar range of quality seen among bureaucrats who inform and work with the advice (or not) from said PA folks.

I'm not sure how serving/former military folks feel, but I have a bit of a problem with the media use of the word "veteran".  The traditional definition is "a person who has long experience in a particular field", but it seems these days it gets attached to anyone, military or otherwise, that has the most fleeting of connection.  I have seen when the topic is police as well.  This dude did  ~2 1/2 years as a Reservist.  Certainly not taking away anyone with military service, but does that make him a 'veteran' (any benefits notwithstanding).  I doubt that some who played a game or two in the NHL would be considered a 'veteran'.

On the discussion of charges he is facing, could being in possession of military meal packs be considered a dangerous weapon?  :D

The media may be using the same bar as the provinces do to approve veteran license plates.

lenaitch said:
I'm not sure how serving/former military folks feel, but I have a bit of a problem with the media use of the word "veteran".  The traditional definition is "a person who has long experience in a particular field", but it seems these days it gets attached to anyone, military or otherwise, that has the most fleeting of connection.  I have seen when the topic is police as well.  This dude did  ~2 1/2 years as a Reservist.  Certainly not taking away anyone with military service, but does that make him a 'veteran' (any benefits notwithstanding).  I doubt that some who played a game or two in the NHL would be considered a 'veteran'.

On the discussion of charges he is facing, could being in possession of military meal packs be considered a dangerous weapon?  :D

Most of the coverage I've seen on this has focused more on his status as a presently serving CAF member, FWIW.

They call him a veteran because VAC and The Legion say he is one.

https://www.veterans.gc.ca/eng/about-vac/what-we-do/mandate

Definition of a Veteran
Any former member of the Canadian Armed Forces who successfully underwent basic training and is honourably discharged.

When people think of Veterans, many immediately picture someone who served in the First World War, Second World War or the Korean War. While many Canadians recognize these traditional Veterans, the same may not always be true for Canadian Armed Forces (CAF) Veterans—those who served Canada since the Korean War.

In fact, some former CAF members don't even see themselves as Veterans. Veterans Affairs Canada (VAC) wants to change this and is working to ensure CAF Veterans receive the honour and recognition they have earned and so richly deserve.

VAC considers any former member of the Canadian Armed Forces who releases with an honourable discharge and who successfully underwent basic training to be a Veteran.

This Veteran status recognizes the risk CAF members assume by wearing the uniform and pledging allegiance. Canada's modern-day Veterans are carrying on the traditions, values and legacy of wartime Veterans and all Canadians, especially our youth, should be aware of their accomplishments and sacrifices.

lenaitch said:
I'm not sure how serving/former military folks feel, but I have a bit of a problem with the media use of the word "veteran". 

I wouldn’t refer to him as a veteran at all, because he is still a serving member of the CAF. Veterans Affairs uses a similar definition as I do, defining a veteran as a former member of the CAF who has been honourably discharged. Whatever this man is, he isn’t a veteran; and he actually may never be one, depending on his eventual release item.

What this man is, however, is one of us. And the conduct of this Master Corporal reflects, poorly, on the CAF and on his unit.

Blackadder1916 said:
https://www.veterans.gc.ca/eng/about-vac/what-we-do/mandate

Definition of a Veteran
Any former member of the Canadian Armed Forces who successfully underwent basic training and is honourably discharged.

When people think of Veterans, many immediately picture someone who served in the First World War, Second World War or the Korean War. While many Canadians recognize these traditional Veterans, the same may not always be true for Canadian Armed Forces (CAF) Veterans—those who served Canada since the Korean War.

In fact, some former CAF members don't even see themselves as Veterans. Veterans Affairs Canada (VAC) wants to change this and is working to ensure CAF Veterans receive the honour and recognition they have earned and so richly deserve.

VAC considers any former member of the Canadian Armed Forces who releases with an honourable discharge and who successfully underwent basic training to be a Veteran.

This Veteran status recognizes the risk CAF members assume by wearing the uniform and pledging allegiance. Canada's modern-day Veterans are carrying on the traditions, values and legacy of wartime Veterans and all Canadians, especially our youth, should be aware of their accomplishments and sacrifices.

I get the legal distinction, but I'm not sure the media does.  I've seen the term used when referring to police officers as well, seemingly as a way to simply describe someone who's been around for a while (although describing a cop as a 'two year veteran' strikes me as creative writing, similar to 'armed police' which drives me quite nuts).  At least with police, they do tend to use 'former' or 'retired'.

Does all of this "veteran" discussion really matter? A CAF member crashed his truck through the gates of Rideau Hall. Whether he was a 3 year or 30 year "veteran " doesn't matter....he is a CAF member, and that will be the headline. Think about it for a moment.

The media doesn't differentiate between years in, the fact that it was a CAF member is the headline.

You are wasting air debating on this.

You are correct that it is not a key takeaway, but I had a view - and posted it.

lenaitch said:
You are correct that it is not a key takeaway, but I had a view - and posted it.

Lenaitch,

I 100% support both your view and your right to post it.....I am simply pointing out that how media portray issues, and how we mere (non Media) plebes perceive things, are regularly dis-similar. It is the intent/job/raison d'etre of the media to create introspection and controversy, through opposing views, headlines, and Op/Eds'.

Weinie said:
Lenaitch,

I 100% support both your view and your right to post it.....I am simply pointing out that how media portray issues, and how we mere (non Media) plebes perceive things, are regularly dis-similar. It is the intent/job/raison d'etre of the media to create introspection and controversy, through opposing views, headlines, and Op/Eds'.

Agree, but there is a difference between news reporting and opinion.  Headline writers have a particular challenge because they have to title a story in a very limited space.  But we are off down a rabbit hole.  Cheers.

As usual, nothing proven in court @ this point -- no copy of the court document provided in the story, which is shared here in accordance with the Fair Dealing section of Canada's Copyright Act ...
The Canadian Armed Forces member facing a long list of charges after breaching the grounds at Rideau Hall last week allegedly had multiple firearms in his possession at the time, and is accused of uttering a threat against the prime minister, according to recently filed court documents.

Corey Hurren, 46, was charged with 22 criminal charges, mainly firearm-related, on Friday — a day after he allegedly drove a truck onto the official residence grounds and set out on foot toward the prime minister's home.

According to the court information sheet, Hurren allegedly had the following loaded firearms with him:

An M14 rifle.
A Hi-Standard revolver, a restricted firearm for which Hurren allegedly did not have a licence.
A Lakefield Mossberg shotgun.
A Dominion Arms Grizzly shotgun.
Hurren also allegedly had with him a high-capacity magazine, without a licence.

He's also accused of uttering a threat or conveying a threat to "cause death or bodily harm" to Prime Minister Justin Trudeau, according to the court document.

Hurren remains in custody and his next court appearance is July 17.

How does someone make MCpl in just over a year? Even for the reserves, that still seems insane.

reverse_engineer said:
How does someone make MCpl in just over a year? Even for the reserves, that still seems insane.

Rangers have their own, unique methods of selection for leadership.

reverse_engineer said:
dapaterson said:
Rangers have their own, unique methods of selection for leadership.

Who wants Joe to be the patrol leader, raise your hand?  Okay Joe, you're the patrol leader.

https://www.canada.ca/en/ombudsman-national-defence-forces/education-information/caf-members/career/canadian-rangers.html
. . . Unlike the traditional CAF promotion practices, Canadian Rangers elect their patrol leaders, Canadian Ranger sergeants. . . .

https://www.canada.ca/en/department-national-defence/corporate/policies-standards/defence-administrative-orders-directives/2000-series/2020/2020-2-canadian-rangers.html#adm
Promotion
6.2  The substantive rank of a CR member is private. A CR member may only be promoted to a higher acting rank.

6.3  A CR member may be promoted to fill an establishment position within a CR patrol either:

a.  normally, by an elective promotion process involving the concurrence of their community and the approval of the CO of their CRPG; or
b.  by exception, solely on the authority of the CO of their CRPG.

The latest from the RCMP commissioner and union. On some of the less than useful comments coming from a few federal politicians.

https://www.rcmp-grc.gc.ca/en/news/2020/rcmpnpf-statement-speculation-rideau-hall-arrest?re&fbclid=IwAR0-A_2lG955Rh4ozkMaM18Gqt2kX7wQ2KDng6UbsEx1uIRAHqcIIcGpTt8

RCMP/NPF Statement: Speculation on Rideau Hall Arrest

Last week RCMP Members successfully intervened with and arrested an individual who posed a significant threat at Rideau Hall in Ottawa. We have since been disappointed by commentary from multiple sources speculating on a potentially different outcome to the peaceful resolution of this incident.
To suggest a more violent conclusion would have been inevitable if the suspect was of another race is speculative and disheartening to the responding officers, their families, and all partners who helped successfully and professionally resolve this threat.
This creates an abstract and negative distraction from an evolving and important national dialogue with all stakeholders seeking solutions to societal issues. In fact, it may only further distance some of Canada's communities from the vast majority of dedicated and caring police officers who respect all people and keep their communities safe.
Our Members responded quickly and effectively to end a volatile situation using successful de-escalation techniques taught and practised by all RCMP officers. RCMP officers are guided by the Incident Management Intervention Model (IMIM) when interacting with the public. The IMIM emphasizes approaching situations with the lowest level of intervention possible which starts with officer presence and communication and adapts to the subject's own actions and response. Through this model, RCMP officers successfully resolve the vast majority of crisis situations without using force.
We welcome the constructive and necessary dialogue evolving across the country. The RCMP is changing and evolving to reflect the people and country we serve. It is already well underway and we are committed to so much more.

Brenda Lucki
Commissioner
Brian Sauvé
President
National Police Federation

Back