• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Mathematics applying/within the Forces.

Ipip12

Inactive
Reaction score
Hi,

I'm not really joining anytime soon (which is why I'm bugging you instead of a recruiter), but I just had a few questions about the level of competency required for the Forces when it comes to mathematics. So really it's two questions:

1. I heard that there's a bit of math on the aptitude test. I read on one of these threads that it's "math you haven't seen since highschool!". Oh man. I've only been out for a year and I can't remember anything. I can't remember exactly what a quadratic equation is, nor can I remember the log table (never learned it, actually; we're lazy nowadays and use calculators). I did like trig, though.

What kind of math questions are actually there on the aptitude test? The questions on the practice exam were nothing like highschool... I'm wondering if I'm too stoopid.

2. What level of math is required to be an artillery soldier? See, here's my secret shame: I never took math 12 (in the final year of high school). I went for humanities instead  :-[, and ended up taking law.

So, please tell me about math...

Welcome to army.ca and the Internet. We're experimenting with a really cool feature called Search.  It may be new to you, so let me provide an example:

Google site-specific search of army.ca:  site:army.ca cfat math

Enjoy your results, I'll presume you didn't skip reading along with math.  ;D

Amazing. Simply amazing.

I totally missed the Sticky on it, too.

If you don't use it, you lose it.

It's been covered that no one whose taken can divulge information about. You sign your name to that, as a matter of fact.

Try using math in your every day life. Precalculate tax before you purchase things, stop using calculators to shed the dependancy we all develop towards them etc etc . There's alot of books out there in Chapters and book stores and online. Math is easy when you consider you should be ending up at one final and correct answer.

Good luck researching it and in preparing. Doing something today about it means one less thing to do later on. Don't under estimate the entirety of the test. Don't base your outlook on it from the experiences of others and how they found it... It's different for everyone, worry only about feeling confident in your own abilities, then work some more. As for anything else.

Good luck. 

Hey I'm wanting to join but the career I want in the Army isn't available to me right now so I must wait.  While I'm waiting I signed up to go and take some math classes at my local adult ed institution, I must say I did just get laid of my job a few months ago and am currently collecting EI so I do have some time on my hands to be able to commit to such a thing but let me tell you I'm kinda thinking the same way you are and I'm just preparing myself, the other half of my day is nothing but exercise, run, eat, sleep... do it all over,  anyways good luck 

Know your basics: Addition, subtraction, multiplication, division.

Most people think they understand the basics, but I find they don't. When I tutored HS math, I found some people would say, "Oh I know division, but what about fractions?" *headslap*

There are a tonne of posts on this forum regarding it. Haven't recently wrote the tests, I'd say the posts are accurate - it's Grade 10 math. Get a text book and study.

Back