• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Maritime Coastal Defence Vessels (MCDVs)

Yeah, what does that entail? 25mm? 30mm? 40mm? 57mm?
The drawing looks like something 25-35 mm range. I’d hope for the 35 Marlin that the CSC is supposed to get. At least there’s a better options for ammo (the 25 doesn’t have an air burst shell, for example).

L
The drawing looks like something 25-35 mm range. I’d hope for the 35 Marlin that the CSC is supposed to get. At least there’s a better options for ammo (the 25 doesn’t have an air burst shell, for example).
Let me just correct myself here, I should have written 30mm. Apologies for the erroneous information.

What would it have for armarment? Small caliber gun?
Yeah, what does that entail? 25mm? 30mm? 40mm? 57mm?
Let me just correct myself here, I should have written 30mm. Apologies for the erroneous information.

If I squint and hold my tongue just right I might convince myself that the shadow in front of the bridge looks like this.

1685494575388.png

The RN's 30mm with 7 Martlet missiles on the side. 13 kg, 3"/76mm, 8 km. The Ukrainians are using the against Aerial and Surface targets.

1685545048116.png

a vessel “that can carry a strike team and a small vehicle in from 150 miles, at 25 knots plus and with a low signature,” adding: “That’s the challenge we’ve set to industry.”

A stealthy CB-90 perhaps?

From the concept art and the placement of the gun I'm inferring a stern lander. The CB90 has a length of 14.9m and a heavy displacement of 20.5 tonnes.

I wonder if those boat bays on the Vard OPV could be engineered to also accommodate something like that?

1685545448131.png

And that platform aft....

Does it need to be able to land a Cormorant or Cyclone? Or it just a clear area that might allow a Griffon to perch? To launch and recover UAVs?

1685546002778.png

Just as useful for ship to ship as for ship to shore. For routine operations, sovereignty visits and aid to local communities, disaster response and combat operations.

And supporting a section of troops ashore with an ATV.

View attachment 77871

a vessel “that can carry a strike team and a small vehicle in from 150 miles, at 25 knots plus and with a low signature,” adding: “That’s the challenge we’ve set to industry.”

From the concept art and the placement of the gun I'm inferring a stern lander. The CB90 has a length of 14.9m and a heavy displacement of 20.5 tonnes.

I wonder if those boat bays on the Vard OPV could be engineered to also accommodate something like that?

View attachment 77872

Port side boat bay is enclosed, or is it another possible design?

IZh5pH7.jpg

More of the announcement

View attachment 77871

View attachment 77872
The CIC appears to be a new take on the older Mk V SOC that used to be used down here.

MKV_N75.JPG

Interesting that cut out on the port side sweep deck. Looks to be for deploying UUV, towed sonar etc.
It looks quite the same as the AOPV's boat decks.
Option to turn it into a mini-mission/boat bay? And improve stealth and shelter characteristics?
Methinks it has to do with the need to deploy in the Arctic.

Could potentially be used for other purposes, but I'd be surprised to see the Navy sacrifice a ship's only small boat redundancy on anything other than an exceptional basis.

Supplemental capabilities instead borne out of the modular mission bays at the back.

More of the announcement

First out of the gate. There will be more. If following letter of the NSS it should be one of the two with maybe Davie. Will it be a design contract? Then a build contract? Or just throw out the NSS for this?

If just going with NSS shipyards there should be a Irving and Seaspan with a Davie submission.

or just keep the thing 999 tons and Heddle (and a couple of other) can bid.

First out of the gate. There will be more. If following letter of the NSS it should be one of the two with maybe Davie. Will it be a design contract? Then a build contract? Or just throw out the NSS for this?

If just going with NSS shipyards there should be a Irving and Seaspan with a Davie submission.

or just keep the thing 999 tons and Heddle (and a couple of other) can bid.
Isn't heddle partnered wuth Seaspan right how on some NSS stuff?

It looks quite the same as the AOPV's boat decks.

Methinks it has to do with the need to deploy in the Arctic.

Could potentially be used for other purposes, but I'd be surprised to see the Navy sacrifice a ship's only small boat redundancy on anything other than an exceptional basis.

Supplemental capabilities instead borne out of the modular mission bays at the back.
The RCN won't sacrifice a second sea boat capability. It goes to the baseline safe at sea redundancy. You need one operational rescue boat to sail. If you have two boats and lost one for whatever reason you can still safely sail. If you have one and lose it you can't sail. Not safe.

I'm very interested in the designs here. Looks about what I expected but with less length and more beam. The flight deck + work deck is interesting. Small little doors for UAV's. Likely also be able to put more sea cans on the flight deck.

I don't think that deck is large enough to land a cyclone, but its certainly large enough to do a vertrep from.

The RCN won't sacrifice a second sea boat capability. It goes to the baseline safe at sea redundancy. You need one operational rescue boat to sail. If you have two boats and lost one for whatever reason you can still safely sail. If you have one and lose it you can't sail. Not safe.

I'm very interested in the designs here. Looks about what I expected but with less length and more beam. The flight deck + work deck is interesting. Small little doors for UAV's. Likely also be able to put more sea cans on the flight deck.

I don't think that deck is large enough to land a cyclone, but its certainly large enough to do a vertrep from.
Looks like an UAS deck, to me.

Yep, that was my point.
Agreed. It certainly looks like something we'd all like to work with.

I don't know much about aviation. Has anyone looked into the feasibility of permanently using griffons? They're basically the same airframe as the Bell 412s the CCG uses.

MQ-8 Firescout?
No but they are in the process of trialing a new UAV this summer. It depends on what they want to use them for. I think the future is open for a lot of UAV options. Its still a very new capability for all militaries so testing things out is important.

Last edited:
Back