• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Marine Technician ( MARTECH )

Eaglelord17 said:
Just because you asked, safety wise it is a joke.

When I was there a few years ago no one did any sort of lockouts, large unguarded shafts, tons of places to get injured or killed (and I am amazed no one has had the second one happen to them yet), lack of proper tools and equipment (never even heard of a comealong there, used ratchet straps instead), lack of proper rigging, etc. Unless there has been some massive change (which I doubt) it is not a safe environment.

Honestly I am doing a millwright apprenticeship at the moment, and looking back in my time as a Stoker, I can tell you its a joke. I learned more about what not to do from the Navy than what to do. From the sounds of it you are doing much more interesting work where you are, and you will likely feel more rewarded doing what you are doing currently. Nothing like not having the parts or tools needed to actually fix something to make you hate your job.

Highly unlikely and the MARTRCH trade is great. We have a safety program that includes LOTO and continuous inspections for compliance.

Chief Stoker said:
Highly unlikely and the MARTRCH trade is great. We have a safety program that includes LOTO and continuous inspections for compliance.

I hope that is the case now, as when I was there in 2015 that wasn't the case.

Thanks for the info there. Sounds a little concerning but I imagine things are improving that way.

Things have really been tightening up safety wise these last few years in industry.

Any info on what the initial training focus' on? I don't mean the NETP or BMQ, I just mean the Mar Tech Trade course. For starters what is burning? Incinerating garbage or something else?

I'm sure it's a big spread, but if you could give me a few main things to google (in the meantime while I wait patiently for the recruitment process to run its course).

Chief, would you mind chiming in on some things I should focus on learning ahead of time? Maybe HVAC....or something aside from the obvious diesel engines and generators. I'm working with a group of guys close to retirement. They've seen a ton, and if you mention a few types of machines I should pay a little extra attention to, I will, and might be able to get some good info before hand. Always helps to know a little more.

Thanks for the help guys.  It seems the process has slowed up a bit since the last time I went through in '03. Judging by what was in the news recently about recruiting and tripling the defence budget, there must be a flood of people joining (and re-joining). That'll give me lots of time to dwell on things and ask you guys a few more questions, ha ha!

SigMar said:
Thanks for the info there. Sounds a little concerning but I imagine things are improving that way.

Things have really been tightening up safety wise these last few years in industry.

Any info on what the initial training focus' on? I don't mean the NETP or BMQ, I just mean the Mar Tech Trade course. For starters what is burning? Incinerating garbage or something else?

I'm sure it's a big spread, but if you could give me a few main things to google (in the meantime while I wait patiently for the recruitment process to run its course).

Chief, would you mind chiming in on some things I should focus on learning ahead of time? Maybe HVAC....or something aside from the obvious diesel engines and generators. I'm working with a group of guys close to retirement. They've seen a ton, and if you mention a few types of machines I should pay a little extra attention to, I will, and might be able to get some good info before hand. Always helps to know a little more.

Thanks for the help guys.  It seems the process has slowed up a bit since the last time I went through in '03. Judging by what was in the news recently about recruiting and tripling the defence budget, there must be a flood of people joining (and re-joining). That'll give me lots of time to dwell on things and ask you guys a few more questions, ha ha!

Being on a ship at sea can be dangerous as its an industrial setting but we mitigate that with safety programs and so forth. You will be taught everything on your course. Any industrial experience you have is an asset.

Good day,

I'm in the process of applying (applied March 2018, waiting on final clearances before landing on the merit list) and I have my eye on MarTech. It was the only trade I've opted to apply for and still remains the most appealing to me.

My question is directed towards anybody who is involved with the training of fresh candidates within the trade, or the candidates themselves:

As I understand it, it's been a bit of a circus ironing out the wrinkles associated with amalgamating the 3 trades into MarTech. I've heard it's especially messy for the legacy guys who are trying to get up to speed and as unfortunate as that is to hear, my primary focus is the full training from square one for new recruits like myself. So to that end, how smoothly is the training going? And for anybody who may have gone through it and now has their boots on the ground, do you find that the training has been sufficient to prepare you for what's been expected of you in the field? If not, how could it have been improved?

I don't think I can be dissuaded from the trade at this point, but it's always nice to have a rough idea of what to expect. Unfortunately the local CFRD isn't able to provide much information on the subject.

Thank you in advance to anybody who is able to offer some insight.

Hi guys,

I'm just wondering how long the Nav Res Marine Tech QL3 is?

I have a paper from the unit I'm enlisting in to that says NETP is 5 weeks, and the Trades course is also 5 weeks. This contradicts the forces.ca website that says trades training is 9 weeks.

which is it, 5 weeks or 9 weeks?

thank you for the help.

Back