• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Marine Technician ( MARTECH )

Slowly moving into "Star-Trek" era: All engineers are just "engineers" and wear the same colour shirt.

Oh! Wait: We all wear the same colour shirt already!  ;D

Jolly, shoot me a note on the DWAN and I'll flip you a copy of a manning proposal I wrote up a while back.

You might be surprised at what I think....

Hi guys, do you know when  next NETP training thanks so much.

You should be able to look at the schedule through the Campus Atlantic Website on the DWAN.  I might have the link at work that I can look up on Monday.

5 trades if you count the Fire fighters.  :nod:
If you're on the ground level of Mar Tech it might be a decent go. It's business as usual for the stokers. The kiwi mar techs that have come over worked almost exclusively with the stokers.
HT's below a PO2 are trying to be cert 2 hull tech fire fighters and most of them are getting out. Or happier as a bosn.
On a new platform it will make sense. On a CPF not really.
I'd say go WENG if you can

hicks22 said:
5 trades if you count the Fire fighters.  :nod:
If you're on the ground level of Mar Tech it might be a decent go. It's business as usual for the stokers. The kiwi mar techs that have come over worked almost exclusively with the stokers.
HT's below a PO2 are trying to be cert 2 hull tech fire fighters and most of them are getting out. Or happier as a bosn.
On a new platform it will make sense. On a CPF not really.
I'd say go WENG if you can

The people who embrace it will do well, the people who are leaving because of it that's their choice.

Chief Stoker said:
The people who embrace it will do well, the people who are leaving because of it that's their choice.

Agreed but lots of good people and skills lost in the process that could have been avoided with some forsight and better planning/ leadership.

Chief Stoker said:

Not really.  This was forced upon us all, we were given no choice.  I have only run across 1 maybe 2 guys who are embracing it.  The corporate knowledge and potential that is leaving because of this is going to be a Pyrrhic victory for the Kraken.

jollyjacktar said:
Not really.  This was forced upon us all, we were given no choice.  I have only run across 1 maybe 2 guys who are embracing it.  The corporate knowledge and potential that is leaving because of this is going to be a Pyrrhic victory for the Kraken.

82776011_0_640x640.jpg

Most of the stokers are fine with it.. I mean nothing’s changed for them. They might get landed for a helo crash course or to learn welding. Nothing to be upset about.
You’ve got a MS HT whose now section base 3 IC the senior fire fighter, hull shop master and reports to OD stoker on his off time  :rofl: i’d want to be a bosn too.

Imagine working towards a job where you’re guaranteed to make less than the guy before you. You’re a flyco qualified Cert3 6A HT making spec 1. Unreal.  :facepalm:

jollyjacktar said:

I didn't agree either but what choice do I have. At least for me on the RES side of things is used to sailing for the last 20 years without a Hull Tech or EO.  In 10 years time no one will care and i'll be long retired (I hope)

Chief Stoker said:
In 10 years time no one will care and i'll be long retired (I hope)

Possible that’s the attitude of the OA team and every other chief driving this down people’s throats?  :nod:

hicks22 said:
Possible that’s the attitude of the OA team and every other chief driving this down people’s throats?  :nod:

Also keep in mind if we had less of the senior folks complaining that the sky is falling and giving it a fair chance more people would be staying.

Chief Stoker said:
Also keep in mind if we had less of the senior folks complaining that the sky is falling and giving it a fair chance more people would be staying.

At this point a Junior HT is on RAT. Learning HT systems and on his off time working on a roundsman package.
A junior stokers only job is a roundsman package.

How can senior personnel look them in the eye and say this is fair and I agree with this?

Like I said ground level on a new platform it will make sense. It’s been a disaster on a CPF.

hicks22 said:
At this point a Junior HT is on RAT. Learning HT systems and on his off time working on a roundsman package.
A junior stokers only job is a roundsman package.

How can senior personnel look them in the eye and say this is fair and I agree with this?

Like I said ground level on a new platform it will make sense. It’s been a disaster on a CPF.

So are ET's and stokers will have to learn hull systems through delta training. Its in the best interest of all concerned to get their OJPR done and move on.

Chief Stoker said:

If there was nothing to complain about, nobody would be bitching.  But there is.  We think we got raped in the shower and sold down the river, its a shit deal unless you're a Stoker.  Then it's just a bad deal as they're coming out best of all.  The junior rates are smart enough to see through the bullshit without any assistance from higher.  They're voting with their feet and l don't blame them at all.

jollyjacktar said:
If there was nothing to complain about, nobody would be bitching.  But there is.  We think we got raped in the shower and sold down the river, its a crap deal unless you're a Stoker.  Then it's just a bad deal as they're coming out best of all.  The junior rates are smart enough to see through the bullshit without any assistance from higher.  They're voting with their feet and l don't blame them at all.

I see where you're coming from I really do. There's OT transfer and finally release for those who wants to move on to greener pastures. At the end of the day ships will still sail.

Chief Stoker said:
I see where you're coming from I really do. There's OT transfer and finally release for those who wants to move on to greener pastures. At the end of the day ships will still sail.

God help them.

Back