• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

M1 Carbine

Halifax Tar

Army.ca Fixture
Reaction score
Any other M1 Carbine shooters out there ?

I recently purchased a new AO M1 I've upgraded the springs with a wolf kit, bought some new mags and the thing runs like a top.

I love that style of action and now that my M305 is an evil piece of material I figured this was my best option as Garands are now in the 2-3K range.

Thinking of using it this upcoming deer season.

I had a Universal M-1 carbine for years. Loved it - best groundhog gun I ever owned. I think it might be underpowered for deer. The best aftermarket mags I was able to find for it came from Marstar.

I had a Universal M-1 carbine for years. Loved it - best groundhog gun I ever owned. I think it might be underpowered for deer. The best aftermarket mags I was able to find for it came from Marstar.
From what I have read it has similar performance to a .357. I don't have a chronograph or I would test it myself.

Really from Marstar eh ? I haven't even been to their site since the whole Garand controversy a few years back. The three I bought are made by Khar. I was one of the few who got some when IRG had them a month or so ago.

When reading online I found it is defiantly a polarizing round WRT to its use for deer. I wouldn't use it for black bear that's for sure.

I mostly used mine for varmint control at my father-in-law's cattle farm. He died a few years ago, the family got rid of the cattle and I only fired the M-1 a couple of times since then. So, two years ago I traded the M-1 for a new pistol.

Universal is notoriously poor quality. Their earlier production when they used surplus parts was better, but when their supply ran out and they started making their own, quality dropped way off. Iver Johnson on the other hand seemed to improve in quality as they went on.

Auto Ordnance is okay, not nearly as good as surplus, though it was bad before Khar took over. The magazine catch can't support 30 round magazines and has to swapped with the D type catch. Their main feature is being non-restricted out of the box.

Marstar has gotten much better since John left. They had Israeli surplus M1s for $549 in Choate stocks a few months ago, so I picked one up which turned out to be a Winchester. Don't like the Choate stock so I ordered a surplus wood handguard and I'm going to order a wood stock from Boyd's when the handguard arrives.

Back