• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

LSVW CP

MedCorps

Reaction score
I am having a brain fart and looking for a sig to sort me out...

Does a LSVW CP:

1) always tow a generator trailer
2) the generator carried in the CP and then dismounted

Finally, can the LSVW CP run off vehicle power when running?

Thx

MC

1) Not always, but it should have one as part of the det. Only time I haven't seen one is when its a part of a CP complex, and someone else is bringing power.
2) That is a COA for small out dets, 2kW gas generator hand carried.
3) Yes, all the radios work from truck power.

MedCorps said:
I am having a brain fart and looking for a sig to sort me out...

Does a LSVW CP:

1) always tow a generator trailer
2) the generator carried in the CP and then dismounted

Thx

MC

1) Not always, but the norm is for a 5-10 KW trailer mounted TQG to be the power source
2) Absolutely can. I've seem some dets that prefer to use a 5KW civilian style generator

For a short time yes. It's not something you want to depend on as the truck is not designed to run at idle indefinitely. If you are setting up a CP for more than, for instance, an hour, you'll want a generator.

It will depend on your CP's power requirements too. Are you running just the inside of the truck pod, or are you expected to power a tent full of officers, laptops and coffee pots as well? Keep in mind 5KW or 10KW sounds like a lot of power, but if you're using regular household outlets they only offer up ~1800W (120v x 15A). To get the full output of the generator you'll want a proper distribution system. We often used a "Hubble" distribution system.
Your local EGS Techs should be able to provide this, or give you answers on where to get it.

MedCorps said:
Yes but IOT have enough power to properly run the radios the truck needs to be in high idle. It is not great for the truck to remain in high idle for long periods of time.

I would never rely on an LSVW's batteries to last long enough to power your radios for any thing but the shortest period of time.

One other question... now that you have me thinking about it...

The few (1/2/3) sections of mod tent you see hanging off the back of the LSVW CP when set up... is that carried inside the CP when on the move or on top? Or is it in another vehicle? 

I have never seen the A-Frames and purloins now that I think about it when on the move.

Cheers,

MC

If doesn't quite look like standard mod, its a penthouse and is stored on the roof. If its a small CP of 3 sections of mod, I usually split it between genny trailer and LSVW pod.

RADOPSIGOPACISSOP said:
To get the full output of the generator you'll want a proper distribution system. We often used a "Hubble" distribution system.
Your local EGS Techs should be able to provide this, or give you answers on where to get it.

Stop calling it a god damned Hubble.

The manufacturer is "hubbell" and that's not the name of the product, it's actually a "spider box", it comes in two versions, a yellow "civilian version", and a green "military version" and all it is is an exceptionally large power bar.

The only difference between the two was the green version came with a "milspec" connector to accept the supply from the generator but it wasn't compatible with any of the other power connectors we had on hand and we still need another cable to fit the stupid thing.

It's a lot more than a power bar.

Running a "power bar" from the convience outlets gives you 120v 15A. Taking the power from the leads (which is what the connector for the power distribution system does) gives you more of the output of the generator. If you didn't know this then you've probably had a lot of power problems in your career.

And if this is the first time you experienced a person refer to something by the manufacturer I'd like to welcome you out from under your rock.

Give him a xerox of the manual, and a kleenex to blow his nose.

RADOPSIGOPACISSOP said:
It's a lot more than a power bar.

Running a "power bar" from the convience outlets gives you 120v 15A. Taking the power from the leads (which is what the connector for the power distribution system does) gives you more of the output of the generator. If you didn't know this then you've probably had a lot of power problems in your career.

And if this is the first time you experienced a person refer to something by the manufacturer I'd like to welcome you out from under your rock.

It's still what amounts to a power bar, just a large power bar, with access to more power.

Folks got it into their heads that it was some mystical piece of equipment, unless you're running a generator larger than a 5kw, it doesn't provide much benefit, as it's still limited by your source power.

You'll also find it's helpful if you call the piece of equipment by it's actual name if you're suggesting someone goes looking for one, as they won't find anything called either a "Hubble" or for that matter a "hubbell", so I would kindly invite you to eat a dick.

NO need to pull this out:

61BioavRfkS._SL1170_.jpg

Now

Be nice.

MedCorps said:
One other question... now that you have me thinking about it...

The few (1/2/3) sections of mod tent you see hanging off the back of the LSVW CP when set up... is that carried inside the CP when on the move or on top? Or is it in another vehicle? 

I have never seen the A-Frames and purloins now that I think about it when on the move.

Cheers,

MC

If it's a "penthouse" which is sort of like mod but specifically designed to attach to the back of a cp vehicle, it can all be stored (poles and arches and canvas, everything) on the roof of the vehicle, with a bit of practice it all sits quite nice and flat, but pro-tip, fold, don't roll.

If your unit doesn't have one, make sure you have an entitlement on your CFFET, or the Penthouse Gestapo will deny your request.

Also there's a manual, or at least an instruction sheet for it. Should help with identifying parts.

I don't recall being able to find it on the din, but it definitely exists, I thought I had a copy in my email but it must have been my din email, which no longer exists.

I think it may have been posted here at one point it was only maybe one or two pages, and all the diagrams still featured the 5/4 pickups.

Not a Sig Op said:
It's still what amounts to a power bar, just a large power bar, with access to more power.

Folks got it into their heads that it was some mystical piece of equipment, unless you're running a generator larger than a 5kw, it doesn't provide much benefit, as it's still limited by your source power.

You'll also find it's helpful if you call the piece of equipment by it's actual name if you're suggesting someone goes looking for one, as they won't find anything called either a "Hubble" or for that matter a "hubbell", so I would kindly invite you to eat a dick.

Buds, a tea kettle uses 1100W, so plugging into the convience outlets is only giving your CP ~1800W.

Now I'm just a simple operator with 16 years of experience, but last I checked 5000W is a lot better than 1800W when you're running a CP.

If you start plugging a bunch of stuff into the convience plugs you are going to piss th EO techs off. Kettles blow the breaker on 5kw more often than not and people plug it in with more stuff. Its also a very good way to lose your power bar. Go see them and get them to construct a pannel or get set up with a spider box and do things properly.

If you are running off of the lugs you have access to 41 amps at 120volts. Outlet is max 15 and may be breakered to less, cant remember ive been out of the game for a bit.
We can run quite a bit off of a 5kw gen. However a CP draws a fair bit.
Also if you are running the cp off of veh power, make sure the high idle is turned up so the battery meter is in the green. Our lovely lsvw alternator will not charge batteries at low idle.

If your unit doesnt have power distribution get them to LPO it.

Pretty sure the convenience plugs are fused to 10 amp, can barely run a small kettle and a laptop.

I think so...i have a 5kw manual here somewhere ill look later.

Either way its fairly easy to justify getting small power distribution for a cp...do that, have your eo guy connect it and just leave it with the gen.

I was never a fan of the 3am calls because the cp tripped a breaker making coffee off of that plug

RADOPSIGOPACISSOP said:
Buds, a tea kettle uses 1100W, so plugging into the convience outlets is only giving your CP ~1800W.

Now I'm just a simple operator with 16 years of experience, but last I checked 5000W is a lot better than 1800W when you're running a CP.

I'm sure in that 16 years you noticed the large cable coming out of the generator connected to the truck?

With that connected, between the ac outlets inside the pod, plus the convenience receptacle on the trailer, you have access to all 5kw, so if you have a 5kw or smaller generator, the spider box doesn't provide any benefit.

It looks pretty and makes for a convenient place to plug things in, but zero benefit in power distribution.

If you find yourself with a 10kw tqg, then the spider box is beneficial.

If you're running one of the old green 2kw, you've got access to 100% of the power either via either the side mounted receptacles or the lugs for connecting a vehicle cable.

If you're running any sort of civilian generator between those amounts, they're typically designed such that you have access to 100% of the power from the side panel.

Best bet if you're running a smaller generator is looking at options to reduce power consumption.

Led lighting is relatively cheap and accessible now, either as screw bulbs or replacements for 4' fluorescents.

Dump any electric heat in favour of combustion where possible, if you can get a Herman Nelson or a dantherm
Heater use instead of the little ceramic heater.

If you're having that many kettle related issues, get a smaller kettle.

Back