• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Lost - Missing Kit ( merged )

BKells

Inactive
Reaction score
I lost my bush cap on a nighttime patrol back in October. I need to fill one of these out, as I understand, but no one in my unit has been able to give me one without me seriously looking hard for it.

1) Can I get a link to an online copy or instructions to procure it
2) What is the policy on lost kit? If I have to pay for the replacement myself anyway, what's the point in haggling with the brass to find this damn form.
3) Estimated cost of a bush cap?

$20 if its the new CADPAT one.  I think it might be too late to fill one out.

Same thing...tactically misplaced (or stolen) field cap.  Lost in October, submited LKR in December, supposedly receiving new one this Tuesday.

1)  Just keep bugging your CoC for it or go to the OR and see if they have it.  I don't think it's online.
2) The reasoning for the form is so that they don't think you're trying to buy mulitple field caps and selling them on ebay or something.  They pull in 90-100 bucks normally on ebay.
3) I was told somewhere in $15-20 range.

I'm in the same situation.  I lost my combat shirt back in June.  Actually I don't think I got it in the first place.  After I left ASU getting my basic kit issue, I went home and I found out that I only had 2 shirts, however I signed for 3.  Anyways, I have told various people that I lost it and it was mentioned that I have to fill out a lost kit report but I haven't actually been given one.  Is this one of those situations where I need to take some initiative or else I'll get screwed in the end.  What's the worst that will happen other than having to pay for it?

I've never had anything happen, the worst anyone can say is "watch what you sign" and make you pay for the shirt.  This might have been a bit of a failure of the NCO that took you down to your ASU, they should have been watching you like a hawk, especially when you were signing for your initial issue.  Also, when you got home and found out, you should have been right back on the phone or down to the unit to let them know, there might have been a chance that another recruit picked it up, or the supply guys had just dropped it into a pile somewhere.  Or, just stay in the army for 20 more years, eventually a new uniform will com along and the CADPAT will just be written off.  But you almost always acquire stuff on courses and tasking, not from thievery, just bad counting, and people not labelling their kit.  And the washing machines.

K Bell

if you send me a PM I can give you an online link of the lost stores report form, it's my units personal website, but it does have a link to the form that can be printed off.

-KaT

i just need an opinion here from some of the more experienced soldiers on the website.

i recently got back from an exercise and my duffle bag full of kit has been misplaced. i have several witnesses who saw my duffle bag of kit on our vehicle before departure, then when we arrived back home it was missing. my assumption is some of the other soldiers we dropped off accidentally grabbed my bag, or it was offloaded, and forgotten by one of them to be replaced b4 i left and they still have it. so in all likely hood it was a simple mistake. we loaded the vehicle just after last light, and we dropped off those individuals late at night, so it was very dark and we were all sleep deprived making it easier to have lost things. in that duffle bag is almost $1000 worth of kit, (gortex IECS items) that is now missing. i realise it is my responsibility and will accept that responsibility if it comes down to it, but just out of ur opinion, due to the circumstances, do u think the kit will be written off or will i have to pay for it? i ask this due to the high cost of the kit and the circumstances in which it was lost.

thanks for ur advice.

i plan on asking on monday, but in the mean time im freaking out over the possibility of losing $1000 i dont have and cant afford to pay, so im just looking for an honest opinion based on experience. so i can either lift some weight off my shoulders, or plan out how im gonna afford this

You need to fill out a Preliminary Loss or Damage Report (PLDR) yesterday.  If you are found neglingent the CO can only assess you $250.  This is after an investigation which will be conducted by an assigned Officer or Warrant Officer.

You should already have a detailed list of what is missing as well as the particulars of the incident - who, what, where and when.  If you haven't do it NOW.

In my time working for the CQ and as a Coy Clk I found PLDRs poorly staffed and sat on desks for weeks or months.  I hate to sound paranoid, but keep copies of all correspondence and who and when it was submitted to.  Good luck.

Step 1) Get a copy of the Loss Report form from Clothing or your QM and fill in section 1 and 2 (your pers details, list of what you lost and the story as related below);

Step 2) In section 3 you cross out the applicable word in each of the following sentences:
I accept/do not accept responsibility for the loss. and
I accept/do not accept financial responsibility for the loss.

Step 3) If the bag contained anything that is cadpat material or a Clothe the Soldier item...your boss (min rank WO) must sign off at section 4 prior to the next step.

NEXT STEP: (I bold this step because some Units love to send the MLR through the CoC for investigation at this point in time which takes forever and is not the way it works)
Step 4) You hand carry your MLR to Clothing Stores and they will re-issue your lost kit immediately. If you accepted financial resp...you will be required to pay the full dollar value of the lost items at the time of re-issue. If you do not accept financial responsibility then Clothing Stores annotates the re-issue req # onto your MLR and assigns it a control # for tracking purposes. You now have your items re-issued and can soldier on.

If you accepted financial that is the end of the process.

If you did not accept financial then:

Step 5) After re-issuing the items Clothing Stores will send your MLR back to your Unit QM on a tracked DND728 document transit and receipt voucher.

Step 6) Your Unit QM will send your MLR the rest of the way through your Chain of Command where ultimately, the CO will either recommend a write-off or recommend an Admin Deduction. Dependant upon whether he finds you negligent or not will decide the amount of the Admin Deduction he recommends...the 250 dollar limit is no longer applicable.

Keep in mind that filing an MLR through the system does not preclude the CO from also taking disciplinary action if he deems it necessary. The MLR process is only an Administrative action. I do not see any recommendations for discplinary action in the scenario that you have detailed below.

Just get your Section 1, 2, 3 & 4 filled out and get to Clothing so you can carry on.

allright thats soom good advice, thanks.  i plan on filling out a lost report first thing on parade night this wednesday. also i have witnesses that can attest to the fact of the situation and how easy it could have been to loose kit under those circumstances and that its not my fault. how would i best go about attacking a small letter from each of those individuals in support of my claim? or am i better off simply mentioning there names in the lost report and when the CO needs to sign it he simply can either take my word for it or ask the other individuals?

When Clothing Stores sends your MLR back to your Unit for it's final processing it will be investigated at that point (before it reaches the CO) if deemed necessary. Obviously your Unit would already be aware of the tasking that you were undertaking at the point in time of the loss and will also be already aware of timings of end-ex/delivery back to Unit.

Your report of incident as related in your original post should be fine.

in any of ur experienced opinion, do u think im gonna be made to pay for this kit, seeing as how the situation was as such in my first post, and i have witnesses to attest to those conditions.

Total thread hi-jack, but something that I just HAD to bring up:

Loyaleddie, please use correct English.  It is so hard to read ur (your) posts that a lot of people are probably nt (not) reponding to them, because it gives them a headache.  And capital letters and apostrophe marks are also a good thing. (It is don't, not dont; can't, not cant; won't, not wont; etc).

I think you have been told before, by a moderator, that you should not be doing msn-speak on here, only the Queen's-English.  In the chat room is one thing, but on a full thread, make your English teacher proud.

Just a hint to make your stay here a bit more enjoyable.

Cheers

qjdb

qjdb said:
Total thread hi-jack, but something that I just HAD to bring up:

Loyaleddie, please use correct English.  It is so hard to read ur (your) posts that a lot of people are probably nt (not) reponding to them, because it gives them a headache.  And capital letters and apostrophe marks are also a good thing. (It is don't, not dont; can't, not cant; won't, not wont; etc).

I think you have been told before, by a moderator, that you should not be doing msn-speak on here, only the Queen's-English.  In the chat room is one thing, but on a full thread, make your English teacher proud.

Just a hint to make your stay here a bit more enjoyable.

Cheers

qjdb

Yes....That is the truth.  Unfortunately, for all of us Loyaleddie has an attitude that will require adjusting if not rectified.  Replies like this to requests to clean up language and grammar don't go over well:

loyaleddie87 said:
sorry im used to trying to type as fast as possible, disregarding proper grammer.

Loyaleddie.......Time to act like a mature soldier and start cleaning up your act.

George Wallace said:
Yes....That is the truth.  Unfortunately, for all of us Loyaleddie has an attitude that will require adjusting if not rectified.  Replies like this to requests to clean up language and grammar don't go over well:

Loyaleddie.......Time to act like a mature soldier and start cleaning up your act.

Wow, sorry, I didn't realise I was offending so many people by trying to save time. I find it kind of silly to be angry over something so mundane or to not make a post due to incorrect English that can be clearly understood, but if I did offend anyone or come across as less than proper I apologize, it was never my intention to do so. I will make an honest attempt to be more proper in these forums, less forgetfulness ;) As well I don't know what attitude your referring to but again if I have ever offended anyone I apologize I have never intended to do so. I'm only human I make mistakes just like everyone else, if it will mean that I get a response to my posts, then i will redo my posts properly.

Allright by request here is my situation summarized proprely. I lost almost $1000 in kit. This kit could have been misplaced one of two ways.

1. Before departure from the exercise I was at, someone could have removed my kit bag. Possibly to reorganize the van as to make more space available and accidentally forgot to replace my bag or could not see it on the ground as it was dark at this time. This would be the only option from this scenario as I am 100% positive the kit bag was in the van as I loaded it personally before departure.

2. Some of the soldiers we dropped off at their armouries could have done something similar to the first scenario. They unloaded a lot of kit in order to sort through there own and make sure they have everything, they could have easily overlooked my kit bag on the ground as again it was 3-4am in the morning and very dark. However in this scenario I should receive my kit back, excluding the off possibility that everyone did not notice it in the parking lot and left it.

So this is my little problem, and I thank those of you who have responded thus far with your advice, it has been very helpful. The question I leave you with as many of you on army.ca have a lot more military experience than I do is this, assuming my kit is not recovered and I thoroughly explain this situation in the loss report, with 2 people to support my claim from above of the situations at the specific times the kit could have gone missing, do you think I will have to replace this kit at my expense? I ask because of the financial struggle I am in at the moment, this is why I am concerned. I thank you for your experienced thoughts on this.

Loyaleddie, I believe what Armyvern suggests and tells you should be taken for near gold.. she runs the base QM here in Gagetown and has MUCHO experience with these type of incidents.  Good luck.

Ps: my Lost/damage report for my $4.70 balaclava will be running through the system shortly Vern.

Back