• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Lincoln and Welland Regiment. KIA France 1944

Royal Engineer

Inactive
Reaction score
Hello.

I am a Scottish, ex member of the British Corps of Royal Engineers. I served from Sept 1978 until Sept 1979. I served in the Falkland Islands aswell as Germany , Medicine Hat and various other places. In Germany I was a member of 5 Fld Sqn RE in 26 Engr Regt. This unit was based in Iserlohn in an ex Canadian barracks, which used to be called "Fort Beausejour". I was twice attached to the RCME for training in Lahr south Germany.

I am looking for any information concerning the only member of our family to be killed during WW2. I'd like to know....where? what? how? and , indeed, if there are any veterans out there who served with John and knew him before he was K.I.A

His name was John Lackie (he was known as "Iain" in our family....Gaellic for John)and he was 19 at the time of his death. He was killed on the 15th of August 1944, I presume somewhere near or in Falaise "The Laise". John came from  Chatham , Ontario.

I'd really appreciate any information that any one may have.

Thanks.

David

Hello can anyone help me?

I am looking for information on the only member of our family to be killed during WW2.

His name was; John Lackie, Service number; A.117318, rank ; Private and as already stated, he served with the Lincoln and Welland Regiment. He lived and grew up in, Chatham ,Ontario. John was known as "Iain" in our family...Gaellic for John.

I know that John was killed on the 15th of August 1944, in or near Falaise "the Laise". I'd like to know, where, what, how etc etc any information, really , including anything on his training, his time in the UK before deploying to Normandy ...etc etc etc.

My mother still maintains to this day that he was killed by "friendly fire" she has always told me that he was killed by USAAF aircraft.....I've no idea where she got the information from............but as we all know these thing do happen.

Thank you.

David

Royal Engineer,

Please do not make repetitive posts in the various forums.

May I suggest you order his service record from Library and Archives Canada, see this page - http://www.collectionscanada.ca/genealogie/022-909.007-e.html

How to Send an Inquiry Concerning Your Own or Another Individual's Records

* Your request must be signed.
    * To identify a file, we require surname, full given name(s), date of birth, and service number or social insurance number.
    * If you do not know the date of birth, service number or S.I.N. (social insurance number), secondary information (e.g., the names of next of kin, postings, dates of service, place of enlistment) can assist in identifying the correct individual.
    * Consult the section below on Access Restrictions.
    * Please specify what document(s) you require. If you are doing family history research, we recommend that you request a "genealogy package," which will include copies of selected documents from the file that highlight/summarize the individual's service.
    * We do not accept e-mail inquiries for these records. Inquiries must be sent by mail or fax.
    * Your request can be written as a letter or you can print off a blank copy of the Application Form, which should be filled in, signed and sent by mail or fax.
    * Inquiries should be sent by mail or fax to:

ATIP and Personnel Records Division
Library and Archives Canada
395 Wellington Street
Ottawa, ON K1A 0N4
Fax: 613-947-8456

Royal Engineer said:
My mother still maintains to this day that he was killed by "friendly fire" she has always told me that he was killed by USAAF aircraft.....I've no idea where she got the information from............but as we all know these thing do happen.

David,
your mother maybe right. The are several well written accounts of this occurring mostly with the USAF but there were mistakes by Commonwealth aircrews as well.

Examples:
"To assist them, the United States Army Air Force was to employ its B-17 Flying Fortresses in a daylight precision attack. Unfortunately, two 12-plane groups bombed short, inflicting more than 300 casualties on the 1st Polish and several hundred more on other units. The North Shore (N.B.) Regt., well behind the lines in the suburbs of Caen, lost almost 100 men and the 3rd Cdn. Infantry Div. commander, Major-General Rod Keller, was wounded."(August 8th)http://www.legionmagazine.com/features/canadianmilitaryhistory/99-09.asp

Now doing a little poking around the L and W also lost a Major ANDREW ULRIC  GILLES  and a Lieutenant  WILLIAM GEORGE  ADAMS that day. Here is the L and W email contact for their regimental museum lincweldmuseum@becon.org and the website is http://www.lwmuseum.ca/

Pte J Lackie died of wounds on 15 Aug 44.  The Regiment was in the advance as part of the 10th Cdn Inf Bde on the 14th of Aug, heading towards the Laison River, having departed from a small valley between Cintheaux and St. Sylvain.  Halfway to the river, the column stopped and saw the dust caused by bombing from Allied aircraft in the friendly rear area.  At 3 pm on the 15th the Regiment began to advance out of Olendon to an area south west of Epancy.  A very short way out of Olendon, heavy small arms fire was encountered and from there past Epancy the fighting was very stiff , with heavy 88 mm and mortar fire.  The objective was taken south west of Epancy and overlooking the main road from Caen to Falaise.  It may have been during this action that Lackie was wounded and died.  However,  from time to time the Lincs were straffed and bombed by their Allied air and the possibility of his wounds due to friendly fire still exist.

J.Cairns
Lincoln and Welland Regiment Museum
lwmuseum@becon.org

Back