• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Liberal Minority Government 2021 - ????

OTTAWA - New Brunswick Conservative MP John Williamson says his province should go back to using the federal carbon price because at least it comes with rebate cheques that could ease the current pain of the price at the pump.
Federal carbon tax>Provincial carbon tax.

Federal carbon tax>Provincial carbon tax.
the 'stated' purpose of the tax was to raise prices so folks wouldn't drive so much. At 2 dollars a litre I would say they have more than achieved that objective. Perhaps it would be a good time to drop the tax so folks can at least get to work so they can pay the increase in their mortgages and credit card debt with interest rates heading skyward

Ha! We can replace the question marks in the title of this thread with "until at least 2025!"

https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/trudeu-jagmeet-singh-working-together-1.6392756
Not particularly surprising. This is about the best case for the NDP, and it gives the LPC some increased confidence to move forward with a policy agenda longer than eight months out. Plus nobody needs to pay for a campaign.

Nature of the beast in a Westminster system. There will be much angry gnashing of teeth from the CPC about ‘a coalition’ (it’s not), but this is simply a matter of maintaining the confidence of Parliament.

For the CPC, they’ll at least have the time to elect a new leader and get him or her well established and ready for when the election does finally come.

Gives the CPC time for, what, two or three more leaders before an election?

Pessimist!
I'm certain that they do themselves proud with at least five leaders.
If you think that I don't take the CPC seriously , I don't.
I stopped taking them seriously when I realised that a lot of their campaign speeches were literally angry tirades directed at a lot of the people who might actually vote for them. Including me.

LPC- 33.12

NDP-15.98

33.12+15.98= 49.1

Close as we are going to get in generations to the majority of Canadians voting for the ruling party/parties

Also very funny to see the CPC attack the NDP directly for once. Usually they leave them alone hoping that high NDP numbers hobble the LPC, but I guess the gloves come off when the NDP join the LPC in governing.

There will be much angry gnashing of teeth from the CPC about ‘a coalition’ (it’s not), but this is simply a matter of maintaining the confidence of Parliament.
You know more about the government than me. Why do you say it's not a coalition?

A coalition is a group formed when two or more people, factions, states, political parties, militaries, or other parties agree to work together, often temporarily, in a partnership to achieve a common goal.
A coalition government is a form of government in which political parties cooperate to form a government. The usual reason for such an arrangement is that no single party has achieved an absolute majority after an election.

It's not a coalition government technically but they still formed a coalition, no?

You know more about the government than me. Why do you say it's not a coalition?

It's not a coalition government technically but they still formed a coalition, no?

A coalition would mean the NDP would form part of government. Likely sitting with Cabinet. This is an arrangement for support in exchange for policy decisions that they want.

A coalition would mean the NDP would form part of government. Likely sitting with Cabinet. This is an arrangement for support in exchange for policy decisions that they want.
Not a coalition government but two parties forming a coalition. Same same but different.

I'm excited for the NDP to be forced to support something against the wishes of their base.

Not a coalition government but two parties forming a coalition. Same same but different.

I'm excited for the NDP to be forced to support something against the wishes of their base.
It isn’t the same thing though. It will achieve the same aim of keeping the Liberals in power though.

No NDP MP will have a ministerial portfolio and the NDP and a Liberals will whip their own members. The NDP are not part of forming government. They don’t have a seat at cabinet or participate in the privy council.

Not a coalition so not a coalition government. It’s still a liberal minority government propped up by the NDP. They just formalized it. So really not much different than what we’ve had. They just aren’t pretending to be an opposition party anymore.

All this does is give us more of the same of what we had. They are all just being more upfront about it. This litterally changes nothing.

It isn’t the same thing though. It will achieve the same aim of keeping the Liberals in power though.

No NDP MP will have a ministerial portfolio and the NDP and a Liberals will whip their own members. The NDP are not part of forming government. They don’t have a seat at cabinet or participate in the privy council.

Not a coalition so not a coalition government. It’s still a liberal minority government propped up by the NDP. They just formalized it. So really not much different than what we’ve had. They just aren’t pretending to be an opposition party anymore.

All this does is give us more of the same of what we had. They are all just being moe upfront about it. This litterally changes nothing.

Yes it does.

The Liberals are now in a 'deal with the Devil'.

A similar arrangement, between the Greens and the NDP, just about killed the government in BC as the NDP had to compromise like crazy to keep it's 'partner' happy, which caused huge conflict in both parties.

Yes it does.

The Liberals are now in a 'deal with the Devil'.

A similar arrangement, between the Greens and the NDP, just about killed the government in BC as the NDP had to compromise like crazy to keep it's 'partner' happy, which caused huge conflict in both parties.
It still does not mean a thing from where we were. They can formalise it or not. We still have a liberal minority propped up by the NDP. Situation no change.

Do you really think that LPC as a minority gvt hasn’t been trying to keep the confidence of the house by getting support and making concessions to the opposition since 2019?

Again. This changes nothing.

All this does is give us more of the same of what we had. They are all just being more upfront about it. This litterally changes nothing.
As an opposition party they retain their time during question period which, coincidentally takes that time away from the remaining opposition. As part of a coalition they would lose those questions

Back