• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Liberal Minority Government 2019 - ????

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reactions: MJP
Sure…so long as you weren’t gay or a lesbian and wanted to get legally married. The party policy opposed gay marriages in Canada, even though they were protected by law. Preston Manning and many of the Reform’s SOCONs were personally opposed to homosexuality, to wit his position that "homosexuality is destructive to the individual, and in the long run, society.”
Coming of political age in BC in the 90s, Reform wasn’t the socon boogeyman there that it appeared/became in the East. Basically, after 1993 the PC’s became a fringe party there and Alberta; virtually non-existent. As a result, mainstream centre-right conservatives joined the party and more liberal members went to the Liberals. In other parts of the country where the PCs still held sway, the mainstream centre-right members stayed with the party and more extreme elements went to Reform, hence their poorer election showings east of Saskatchewan.

At this time, the Liberals opposed same sex marriage as well. Doesn’t make it right, but it was mainstream thinking at the time.

At this time, the Liberals opposed same sex marriage as well.
By ‘opposed’ yes if you mean just the 28 Liberals who voted against the bill. Chrétien left it a free vote and the large majority of Liberals votes yes for gay marriage.

Were you insinuating that the Liberals were just as anti-gay as the Reformers? 🧐

By ‘opposed’ yes if you mean just the 28 Liberals who voted against the bill. Chrétien left it a free vote and the large majority of Liberals votes yes for gay marriage.

Were you insinuating that the Liberals were just as anti-gay as the Reformers? 🧐
No, but in the 90’s I recall same sex marriage not being a popular idea in the mainstream. I didn’t think it gained more acceptance until the 2000s. But maybe I am misremembering things. 🤷‍♂️

My point was that places where the PCs were wiped out, Reform became the centre-right party. Where the PCs still had party members and infrastructure, Reform was populated by those on the fringes right.

It’s unfortunate now that the CPC seems to be preaching to its base instead of trying to expand its appeal in places it needs to win. Being the party of rural/Western/white working class resentment won’t defeat Trudeau.

Sure…so long as you weren’t gay or a lesbian and wanted to get legally married. The party policy opposed gay marriages in Canada, even though they were protected by law. Preston Manning and many of the Reform’s SOCONs were personally opposed to homosexuality, to wit his position that "homosexuality is destructive to the individual, and in the long run, society.”

Ah, yes, Warren Kinsella.

I have little respect for either him or his views on most things, but he is useful from time-to-time and I used to read a lot of his articles when they were published more frequently.

I joined the Reform Party on the day that Kim Campbell tabled her firearms legislation in 1990 or 1991, and sent copies of my application and the accompanying letter of explanation and cheque to Brian Mulroney, Kim Campbell, my Conservative MP (I knew his kids in school and flew him on a pre-White Paper MP visit to Lahr, during which I pointed out Tiffany as we passed overhead), and one other whom I cannot remember. That was before Reform was officially active in Ontario.

I found the party quite refreshing, due to the quantity and quality of regular newsletters, meaningful surveys, other printed information, and the afore-mentioned diversity of thought and discussion. Policies were very much grassroots, with a little guidance in some cases. There was no more anti-gay discussion than in general society of the time; I don't think that it was an issue to many/most of us at all, either within or without the party.

That was the beginning of my appreciation for individual rights and freedoms, which continues today. Previously, I had considered rights to be basically meaningless, as anything merely existing on paper could be overridden by any government that chose to do so under any pretext (like recently). I still see rights and freedoms as fragile things, which need constant effort to protect and preserve.

And I came to realize that rights had to apply equally to all - neither more nor less to any particular person or group (not that there are any group rights in Canada). If they did not, then they were not rights. There are no such things as "gay rights", for example, only "human rights".

On the subject of gay marriage, when discussion began in the media, I had no objection because nothing was being taken away from me, or anybody else, but neither was I especially supportive. It should not have been an issue at all, really - it just needed government action to legislate the contractual side (basic fairness aspect) and the accompanying ceremonial aspect was up to individual Churches (in the overall organizational sense as well as specific congregations), or Elvises, or whatever. I presumed that divorce lawyers would have been ecstatic due to the increase in their customer base.

When the party became active in Ontario, I attended riding association functions, including several nomination campaigns. In each of the latter, we had several excellent potential candidates, many (possibly even most) of whom were women. We did not care about external features like skin colour, but only such trivial things as intelligence, motivation, people skills, and ethics etcetera.

We welcomed anyone and everyone.

Yes, there were some wild cards in the Prairie region, but their colourful attributes did not seem to garner much real influence within the party overall.

On the subject of gay marriage, when discussion began in the media, I had no objection because nothing was being taken away from me, or anybody else, but neither was I especially supportive. It should not have been an issue at all, really - it just needed government action to legislate the contractual side (basic fairness aspect) and the accompanying ceremonial aspect was up to individual Churches (in the overall organizational sense as well as specific congregations), or Elvises, or whatever.

So then why make the party policy something that would deny gay couples to legally marry?

So then why make the party policy something that would deny gay couples to legally marry?

I am not sure. I had no interest in that area. It could have been a holdover from earlier, as, barring any perceived need or push from somebody, policy items may just not get updated.

I don't remember it ever coming up in discussion, or anybody caring one way or the other.

Small government, and minimal governmental interfering in people's lives, were pretty high high up on our chart, so if it ever would have come up it would have generated some interesting discussion. Some people would have had a hard time balancing the equal rights/fairness/minimal interference aspect with other personal beliefs, I am sure.

But, really, nobody's going to go back and undo that, whatever their personal beliefs.

But, really, nobody's going to go back and undo that, whatever their personal beliefs.
So then why not put such contemporary issues to bed (abortion, climate change, etc.) and get rid of the seagulls around conservatives’ neck during the election? 🤷🏻‍♂️

So then why not put such contemporary issues to bed (abortion, climate change, etc.) and get rid of the seagulls around conservatives’ neck during the election? 🤷🏻‍♂️

I'll attempt to get into those issues soon, but they are not likely to die down regardless of any party policies.

Personally, I dislike abortion and will eventually outline my specific views and concerns.

Man-made "climate change" is a crock that is only being pushed by media, "celebrities", governments, and other interested parties because it is a money-maker and prestige-generator for them. Not one, single, prophecy-of-doom has come to pass in many decades, and none of the models used to predict dire outcomes has successfully reflected reality. Taxing carbon (dioxide) is futile, and only serves to move industries to countries with far more lax (if any) environmental policies.

An empowering story for the women who voted Liberal.

Satire article about a true story.

Liberal candidate dropped for boudoir photos as party only allows nudity on Zoom​

The Nova Scotia Liberals are defending their choice to drop candidate Robyn Ingraham over revealing photos, citing party rules that state that members can only have their nudes publicly shared if it’s during a Zoom meeting.

“This has nothing to do with sexism or double standards,” explained Liberal Leader Iain Rankin. “This candidate was viewed in a revealing state by consenting members of the public, and that is wrong. It appears that she didn’t even make an attempt to expose her genitals to her unsuspecting online co-workers, as per Liberal tradition.”

And the true story.

Critics decry 'double standard' in former Liberal candidate's departure​

But on Wednesday evening, Ingraham posted an open letter explaining that the Liberal Party told her to step down and to blame her mental illness. She said a party official told her that her boudoir photos, which have been posted online, were making the "higher-ups" nervous.

Forced her to step down and told her to blame her mental health. Nice.

Hey MarioMike, how many women in Canada voted for these guys again?

Last edited:
An empowering story for the women who voted Liberal.

Satire article about a true story.

Liberal candidate dropped for boudoir photos as party only allows nudity on Zoom​

And the true story.

Critics decry 'double standard' in former Liberal candidate's departure​

Forced her to step down and told her to blame her mental health. Nice.

Hey MarioMike, how many women in Canada voted for these guys again?
Provincial.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back