• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Liberal Minority Government 2019 - ????

Status
Not open for further replies.
Are they announcing things solely on Twitter, or are there social media releases scheduled to go out at the same time as written media releases, and of course proper publishing in the Canada Gazette? Pretty much any time you see social media posts about such things, there’s a link to a more comprehensive press release. There’s absolutely nothing wrong with using social media to get the word out.

Obviously if a release is prepared and accidentally goes out early - by any means - that’s a bit of a problem. But only on the scale of ‘gaffe’. We aren’t talking about a big crisis here in how that happens.
I totally agree with you. By no means suggesting a crisis, and gaffes happen.

I was moreso referring to using Twitter as a platform to make announcements of a certain nature. If it’s just a tweet to give a heads up, and link a more in depth article - all good. 👍🏻

Personally, I believe social media has a useful place in government communications. It really does, and provides the government with an amazing avenue to showcase what it’s doing in an easy to access way.

But I’ve ‘personally’ found Twitter to be more of a burden than a tool when it comes to government communications. (Personally just as in my own opinion is all)

I guess I was letting my initial thoughts of past incidents where Twitter was used in lieu of proper channels, which caused some challenges at the time. This just had my reaction thinking “Ugh, not again...”

This has wide implications for the government as the speaker has effectively ruled national security is not a reason to hide information from law makers.
That needs to be remedied. There absolutely has to be a way to sync oversight and the very valid national security imperatives. If NSICOP doesn’t cut the mustard, make the necessary reforms so that they do. There is no effing way that the bulk of national security intelligence information should be accessible to Parliament at large. I would support any government of any party in fighting this and eating a censure over it. I don’t expect the NDP to know better, but the CPC sure as hell do. They’re playing BS partisan games with national security. The concerns are absolutely valid, but an open airing of this is likely not an appropriate remedy.

Brihard, I agree with you in general and I totally understand the national security aspects surrounding this file. However, this, coupled with the Liberal Government's outright refusal to release "evidence" they used to justify the May 1, 2020 OIC gun ban, despite an order to do so from an Associate Chief Justice, is symptomatic of their disdain for the rule of law when applied to them.

I'm sure there are redacted documents that could be released in-camera to satisfy the Opposition who are bound by the same secrecy and disclosure laws as the government. The Liberals simply saying "no" in both cases is hypocritical given their mantra of "openness and transparency" and contemptuous towards both institutions.

Brihard, I agree with you in general and I totally understand the national security aspects surrounding this file. However, this, coupled with the Liberal Government's outright refusal to release "evidence" they used to justify the May 1, 2020 OIC gun ban, despite an order to do so from an Associate Chief Justice, is symptomatic of their disdain for the rule of law when applied to them.

I'm sure there are redacted documents that could be released in-camera to satisfy the Opposition who are bound by the same secrecy and disclosure laws as the government. The Liberals simply saying "no" in both cases is hypocritical given their mantra of "openness and transparency" and contemptuous towards both institutions.
But they were demanding unredacted documents. We’re talking, in all likelihood, some really sensitive stuff here. There are separate mechanisms for handling security intelligence, both inside Parliament and out. The opposition wants stuff out in the open that they can make political hay with. If their concerns were simply working the national security angle in a straightforward manner, utilize NSICOP, and simultaneously work to make it a proper parliamentary committee rather than an arms length separate agency.

For sure, security and intelligence still needs to be accountable to parliament. But let’s not be blind to the political games being played from both sides on this.

I bet this ruffled some feathers. Good example of a politician choosing duty and integrity over loyalty.

Bill C-10 hits speed bump as Speaker voids dozens of 'secret' amendments

Speaker Anthony Rota declared dozens of amendments added at committee after debate time ran out null and void, and ordered the bill to be reprinted without them

But they were demanding unredacted documents. We’re talking, in all likelihood, some really sensitive stuff here. There are separate mechanisms for handling security intelligence, both inside Parliament and out. The opposition wants stuff out in the open that they can make political hay with. If their concerns were simply working the national security angle in a straightforward manner, utilize NSICOP, and simultaneously work to make it a proper parliamentary committee rather than an arms length separate agency.

For sure, security and intelligence still needs to be accountable to parliament. But let’s not be blind to the political games being played from both sides on this
Yes, they should know better. This is likely driven by the Liberal's almost total redaction of the documents released in the "WE" scandal.

Yes, they should know better. This is likely driven by the Liberal's almost total redaction of the documents released in the "WE" scandal.
And recent redaction of PHAC documentation (not) explaining why two Chinese nationals, themselves with direct associations to China’ Peoples Liberation Army medical scientists, were removed from Canada’s Level-4 biological laboratory in Winnipeg…

Liberal Govermnent: “Open and transparent (except when we want to obfuscate and hide things from the public).”

And recent redaction of PHAC documentation (not) explaining why two Chinese nationals, themselves with direct associations to China’ Peoples Liberation Army medical scientists, were removed from Canada’s Level-4 biological laboratory in Winnipeg…

Liberal Govermnent: “Open and transparent (except when we want to obfuscate and hide things from the public).”
Alternatively, and I’m speculating - but it’s informed speculation - given the national security implications it could easily be a Security of Information Act thing, or could relate to ongoing national security investigations. A vast amount of stuff is never made public or openly tabled, for very good reason.

Alternatively, and I’m speculating - but it’s informed speculation - given the national security implications it could easily be a Security of Information Act thing, or could relate to ongoing national security investigations. A vast amount of stuff is never made public or openly tabled, for very good reason.
Agree. That said, how they ever were vetted and an actual PLA Med O allowed into the facility makes me appreciate that this Government has an underlying inappropriately insecure attitude towards China (military, academic (cum military), business (cum military), etc…. Canadian citizens deserve better…much better, than this disrespect and disregard by Government.

"Our politically well-connected elites would like to take advantage of the fantastic investment opportunities in your country."

"Certainly. Perhaps some of our people could embed in your institutions to learn and observe?"

That needs to be remedied. There absolutely has to be a way to sync oversight and the very valid national security imperatives. If NSICOP doesn’t cut the mustard, make the necessary reforms so that they do. There is no effing way that the bulk of national security intelligence information should be accessible to Parliament at large. I would support any government of any party in fighting this and eating a censure over it. I don’t expect the NDP to know better, but the CPC sure as hell do. They’re playing BS partisan games with national security. The concerns are absolutely valid, but an open airing of this is likely not an appropriate remedy.
The Americans have a system where certain members have clearance to see classified information. When they are dealing with a national security issue, they will bring those members into to read the documents that can't be released. The members are then able to raise issues in the house generally that deal with those specific issues. I.e. they could raise issues with the process if it shows that the process was followed or it can raise issues with the government not following the process, if it wasn't.

Agree. That said, how they ever were vetted and an actual PLA Med O allowed into the facility makes me appreciate that this Government has an underlying inappropriately insecure attitude towards China (military, academic (cum military), business (cum military), etc…. Canadian citizens deserve better…much better, than this disrespect and disregard by Government.
Absolutey. This should never have been able to happen. I have no beef with that.

It's clear that if the documents were provided to NSICOP then there is a national security implication that is classified and likely compartmentalized. You don't just hand documents like this out. The President of PHAC is likely correct in saying he needs to obey the law.

This just gets crazier, so the CPC and NDP voted to have the Sergeant at arms to search PHAC's offices for the documents they are refusing to release.

Wow. This is idiotic. Pure theatrics. They think the Sergeant at Arms will be able or will be allowed to simply go search a secure zone and trundle off highly classified documents? No. And the departmental officials would be wrong to allow or facilitate it.

It's clear that if the documents were provided to NSICOP then there is a national security implication that is classified and likely compartmentalized. You don't just hand documents like this out. The President of PHAC is likely correct in saying he needs to obey the law.

Yup, this. Section 14 of SOIA carries, if recollection serves, a 14 year maximum sentence.

Wow. This is idiotic. Pure theatrics. They think the Sergeant at Arms will be able or will be allowed to simply go search a secure zone and trundle off highly classified documents? No. And the departmental officials would be wrong to allow or facilitate it.

Yup, this. Section 14 of SOIA carries, if recollection serves, a 14 year maximum sentence.
Almost certainly there are National Security implications in these PHAC documents and they should not be generally released.

And the more the Liberals resist, the more it makes it look like there is fire behind the smoke story on the PLA messing around in our virology lab. Which the Liberals also need to own.

With that said, we would not be in this mess had the Liberals not run roughshod on Parliament these past five years and made everything even remotely embarassing to the LPC a “cabinet confidence”.

Saw this in the "Remains found at Kamloops residential school..." thread,

Somebody did paint a statue of him somewhere black not too long ago.
But perhaps they thought that it was the more recent Trudeau.

If that is what "the party" is going with, again, in the next federal election, good luck to them. This is how it went last time,

"If your riding has a majority of visible minorities, there's an 85-per-cent chance it elected a Liberal."

The biggest divide in Canadian politics? Men vs. Women.​

( Sorry for the bold. It's my computer. )

Philippe J. Fournier: If only men voted, the Liberal and Conservatives would be in a statistical tie. Only women: the Liberals win a crushing 226 seats.

National Post

How did Canadians react to Trudeau's blackface photos? With a big meh, polls find​

Committee adjourns for the summer without issuing final report on sexual misconduct in Canadian military​

Link

But there had been a breakdown in the committee’s work since late May, with Liberal MPs stalling meetings by talking out the clock while accusing the opposition of causing delays by introducing more motions.

That filibustering continued at Monday’s final committee meeting before the House rises for the summer on Wednesday, and ahead of an expected fall election that could impact the fate of a final report.

Nothing says support for victims of sexual abuse like filibustering.

2150.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back