• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

length of service?

Shadzing

Inactive
Reaction score
HI,
I got a question, and I have looked around the forum, used the search bar, and tried several times on Google, all with no luck finding my answer.
So I really hope someone here can help. Here's the question :

For a Combat Engineer, what is the minimum and maximum (and all options in-between, if any) Term of Service (more specifically the VIE) that one can sign up for?

Bonus question: Depending on were in Canada CEs are based out of, can one chose a career path that has them stationed closer to home?
EX: if I live in B.C. , and Combat Engineers that specialize in, lets say Armored Engineering, get stationed at the closest Base to were I live, (Edmonton I think), does that mean I could go that route and be possibly stationed closer to home? (don't get me wrong, I'm not going to get homesick or anything. But if making a rather irrelevant decision one way or another gets me closer, then I want to be as informed as possible.)

P.S. : I know that there is a list of something like this exists on the Canadian Forces Department of Defence website, but I found that a long time ago, and cant find it now. I cant expect anyone to find that list again, but if anyone knows of the western most Bases and what kind of Engineers get stationed were, that would help!

All you sign starting out is a VIE.  Not sure exactly but it would be between a 3 and 5 year VIE.

I think VIEs for us right now are 4 years. Don't quote me on that.

To the OP, you only get this much >< choice in your first posting. The Corps will try to accomodate your desires, but expect to be sent where Sappers are needed. The four RegF Engineer regiments are:

1 CER - Edmonton
2 CER - Petawawa
4 ESR - Gagetown
5eRGC - Valcartier

Everyone starts out as a plain jane Cbt Engr and goes to their first posting. After proving that you have the aptitude for certain specialty training (i.e. Armd Engineering as you suggested) you will be nominated by your chain of command for those courses and then depending on which stream you end up in, you may find yourself moved to a more preferable area based on your qualifications.

Shadzing said:
HI,
I got a question, and I have looked around the forum, used the search bar, and tried several times on Google, all with no luck finding my answer.
So I really hope someone here can help. Here's the question :

For a Combat Engineer, what is the minimum and maximum (and all options in-between, if any) Term of Service (more specifically the VIE) that one can sign up for?

As of May 13, the TOS Sequence for the Combat Engr occupation is (1) VIE 4, (2) CE 5 or IE 25, (3) CE 5 or IE 25 (4) IE 25 and (5) IPS.

Due to the fact the TOS Sequence has a CE, members are to be offered the option of both the CE and the IE simultaneously at each intermediate interval.

Great thanks.
That helps a lot.
At least having an idea as to of what to hope for helps.

Back