• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

LAV III Mobile Gun System - Status of Purchase?

The US did indeed finish all of their trials, with the exception of user acceptance trials.  Whether fortunately, or unfortunately, the MGS managed to fail every single test, with the sole exception of being able to fit in to a Hercules.

Because it failed so miserably, the US Army has not formally accepted the MGS, and therefore, it has not been placed in to series production.  No assembly line would be set up for our miserable little order for 66 of the pieces of sh*t, ergo, for the forseeable future, no orders for the MGS.  It was always the intent to tag our order on to the US order, presumably for many hundreds of the things.

Good that the order was held up pending an inquiry or whatever they're gonna do with it.

In the mean time maybe the govt. will see sence and get us some tanks...

Fat chance but I can always dream.

Slim

The MGS may be down but it does not yet appear to be out.

http://www.dailynews.com/Stories/0,1413,200~20943~2358776,00.html

Army cannon car gets first airdrop test

Paratroopers hope to wheel into combat

By Daily News

EDWARDS AIR FORCE BASE -- A new armored car equipped with a cannon has been dropped by parachute from a C-17 transport plane in a test of whether the vehicle can go into combat with paratroopers from the Army's 82nd Airborne Division.
For the first time, the eight-wheel Army Stryker armored car, mounted with a 105 mm cannon and called a mobile gun system, was dropped from an Air Force cargo plane Aug. 13 onto the south part of Rogers Dry Lake.

"There is a present need to have airdrop capability for the mobile gun system, and we performed the feasibility test to see if the impact of an airdrop is consistent with static impact testing the Army has already completed," said Alec Dyatt, 418th Flight Test Squadron C-17 Combined Test Force flight test engineer.

Before the parachute drop at Edwards, the Army performed its own tests to develop a honeycomb cargo carrier to cushion the impact.

The purpose of the airdrop was to verify that the extraction system -- three small parachutes that pulled the vehicle out of the rear door -- was adequate and that there was sufficient clearance in the C-17 for the extraction, as well as to demonstrate safety, said Dan Jones, 418th Flight Test Squadron Boeing mission systems engineer.

"We built up to this test by dropping a cargo container that contained steel plates with the same mass properties as the mobile gun system," Jones said.

The armored car's cargo container is equipped with 10 parachutes -- each 100 feet in diameter -- that allow the container to hit the ground with the same force as if it had been dropped from 12 feet off the ground, Jones said.

"The next step after the feasibility test is to have the Stryker vehicle undergo full developmental testing, which will conclude when the Army performs three operational extractions," said Maj. Landon Henderson, 418th Flight Test Squadron C-17 test director and test pilot.

Developmental testing will include dropping more than one Stryker on the same pass.

Recce41 said:
12A
We have not really spent too much on the MGS. We just had the US do all of the work. The moneys spent are for what we will require as an improvments. I heard the hold up was that the US had not finished their trials, and we had to wait.

Do a search on the net.

We have allready spent enough for you and I to retire on, and a few more I would think. I have seen 3 different figures, think millions.

Frankly i'm relieved to hear the MGS was stalled, maybe stopped entirely?
all ive seen is pics and vids, and from those the outlook wasn't good.
A-from the vids every time the thing turned it looked inches away from goin over
B-the guy who was commentating (think it was a M.Gen) even said it wouldn't take Tank vs. Tank
C-it was uncertain wether an RPG-7 could penetrate the amour
Lets hope they put this thing down the drain for good
(the vid was on the army site for a very short time)

Back