• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Kit stolen from vehicle

Ecox9930

Inactive
Reaction score
I was on the way from cold lake Alberta to Kingston and had a duffle bag of kit and a few other items stolen from my vehicle. I don’t even have a cadpat shirt to wear when I get there or boots. Do I have to fill out the lost/stolen kit form and complete that process before they will give me anything?

Likely yes.

You will also need to file a claim with your insurance company.

Ecox9930 said:
I was on the way from cold lake Alberta to Kingston and had a duffle bag of kit and a few other items stolen from my vehicle. I don’t even have a cadpat shirt to wear when I get there or boots. Do I have to fill out the lost/stolen kit form and complete that process before they will give me anything?
Hopefully you reported the theft to the local police when it happened.

You should be able to get a temporary issue of essential stuff while you get through the paperwork; contact your sponsor or unit to give them a heads up.

I did report the incident to the local police but it’s difficult to determine what was stolen when I have a lot of stuff being shipped as well. I’ll be able to call tomorrow when people are actually working. I unfortunately don’t have an off hour contact number for my Sponsor.

Out of curiosity should I be expecting to pay for the kit? I imagine this is going to be a sizeable several hundred dollars at least. I haven’t had kit stolen before.

Ultimately, that is why you need to be speaking with your insurance.  There is likely a good chance that it will be written off if you took reasonable steps to keep it secure and didn't do anything dumb that contributed to the loss, like leaving the bag in plain view in the back of an unlocked car but...

As much as it sucks, this is why when I'm moving all my bags go into the hotel each night, especially if I'm staying at a place that is proximate to a highway.  Those hotel parking lots are a shopping mall for certain people and, although the hotel would never admit it, this happens all the time.

Here's a good summary of what happens with lost kit from one of our resident Log Os: https://army.ca/forums/threads/26386/post-1043492.html#msg1043492

In short, the max someone can order you to pay appears to be $250, and that's when it hits the CDS level. You'd also have to be pretty negligent in the circumstances of the loss. If you locked your car and it got broken into overnight while in transit to Kingston, I doubt you'll get recovery action for anything. Then again, the CoC at CFSCE can be wierd sometimes...

Well hopefully all goes well. I don’t know how they got access to the vehicle as the window wasn’t broken. As long as I can at least get something to wear day to day that will be good enough in the short term.

Ecox9930 said:
Well hopefully all goes well. I don’t know how they got access to the vehicle as the window wasn’t broken. As long as I can at least get something to wear day to day that will be good enough in the short term.

Did you forget to lock the door?  :whistle:

Vehicles get broken into all the time, it's not rare so don't worry about trying to prove that thefts from vehicles happen...as for how they got in, youtube it, lol. I'm serious too.

Ya I remember locking the door which was why I was confused about how they got in and also so surprised about my stuff being thrown everywhere in the vehicle. Luckily they didn’t take everything in there. Probably because it was too heavy.

Thanks for the info everyone.

Go to your local clothing stores.  They will help with the Misc Loss Report.  Ensure you place your police report and insurance file number in the report and you will be rekitted at no cost to you.

Do I file an insurance claim for DND items that were stolen from my vehicle? I didn’t think auto insurance covered stuff like that. In this case I haven’t noticed any significant damage to my vehicle.

Ecox9930 said:
Ya I remember locking the door which was why I was confused about how they got in and also so surprised about my stuff being thrown everywhere in the vehicle. Luckily they didn’t take everything in there. Probably because it was too heavy.

Thanks for the info everyone.

There are some pretty cheap tools thieves can get to break into your car.  The article is a bit older, but still relevant;

https://www.nytimes.com/2015/04/16/style/keeping-your-car-safe-from-electronic-thieves.html

Ecox9930 said:
Do I file an insurance claim for DND items that were stolen from my vehicle? I didn’t think auto insurance covered stuff like that. In this case I haven’t noticed any significant damage to my vehicle.

You file the insurance claim your self and any funds given to you for stolen DND kit will have to be turned over to the crown.  Again go to your local Clothing Stores and they will assist you.

Alright I will be able to visit the clothing store tomorrow and get the process started.

Again thanks for the help.

Ecox9930 said:
Ask Clotting Stores for an itemized cost list of the kit that was stolen.  If the cost doesn't exceed the deductible on your car insurance, don't file a claim.  It could affect your rates, even if they are not required to pay out.

I had a kit bag containing a couple uniforms, sleeping bag and some other stuff stolen from my car once years ago (2003?) on my way home from a weekend ex (stopped for groceries).

I reported it to the local police, the MPs, my CoC and submitted a lost kit rep in which I declined responsibility for the loss.

The MPs recover some (was found on the side of the road) and the CAF replaced the rest at no cost to me.

Maybe I was just lucky?

winnipegoo7 said:
Maybe I was just lucky?

I don't think so.  When I worked in Base Supply, write-offs were a given even in cases of gross negligence.

Ecox9930 said:

Automobile insurance very rarely covers any significant amount for items stolen from a vehicle.  You should be able to claim for the damages to your vehicle caused by the thief, but there is usually only a token amount (if that) available for stolen items.  The contents of the vehicle would normally be covered under a household policy, which could be a problem if your between homes and have no household contents insurance at the moment.  This is why it's a good idea to talk to your insurance company before you move and have them transfer the policy to your new home and ensure unbroken coverage.

The only CAF items you own are your dress uniforms, so they should be covered under your household insurance (i.e. use the "sale" feature when replacing the items through Logistik and pay real money that will be reimbursed by your insurance company).  Unfortunately, you DO NOT OWN your issued kit (i.e. the stuff you have to give back - combat clothing, rucksacks, etc), so it is highly unlikely that any of your insurance (household or otherwise) will cover that.  Having said that, unless you've been grossly negligent, you shouldn't have to pay for any of that .  QR&O, Chapter 38 refers.

Back