• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Just a Few Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheGPH

Inactive
Reaction score
I know this has been posted a thousand times before..and ive looked through alot, but i still feel slightly uneducated and i want to know as much as possible before i apply.

So i am currently 15 years of age, and i have wanted to join the military for a while, 3-4 years maybe? When my brother went into the army reserves i heard about the things he got to do, what it was like, so i started researching more and more recently, (as theres no point in researching 4 years before i apply, things change fast.), and i see things that really interest me..

So here goes: (on a side note, all these questions are regarding the reserves, as theres no point in asking about the reg forces, if im not going in that for 3+ years.)

Q: I want to apply for the army reserves when i am 16. That will be not soon, but in around 7 months, anyway, if i join the reserves, do i have a better chance of being accepted into the regular forces when i am 17/18?

Q: How hard is the initial training? My plan is to start doing pushups, pullups, and running/jogging, slowly adding more weight every 2 weeks to a schoolbag. until i can comfortably (?) run for at least a half hour with 80 pounds in the bag.

Q: This is the biggest question i was wondering about.. Does canada ever go to combat? I was looking and some people on this forum said that the US army is more combat and close quarters adrenaline type things, and the Canadian Forces just give speeches and patrol, and nothing else. Is that true?

Q: (this question is aimed towards Regular Forces + the Reserves.) As far as i know, when you apply you can write down 3 jobs youd be interested in, then they will offer you one, and you either take it or walk out the recruitment center with nothing. Is that true?

Q: How do they make there decision on what career in the military your going to be offered? For example, if i wrote down Infantry Soldier, Armored Soldier, and Artillery Soldier, what is the chances of me getting Infantry Soldier? (thats the job im most interested in.)

Q: Is school an important factor for any of those 3 jobs listed in the above question? Especially Infantry.

Thank you to any who answer, and hopefully ill see you in the future.  :cdn: :salute:

I'm not sure how much research you did, but you are going to want to do some more.  Search these forums in the recruiting, basic training and Infantry forums, etc there is a lot of information here. 99% of the time, any questions you have, are already answered here. Plus, if your brother is/was in the military, I'm sure he can answer most of your questions.

TheGPH said:
Q: I want to apply for the army reserves when i am 16. That will be not soon, but in around 7 months, anyway, if i join the reserves, do i have a better chance of being accepted into the regular forces when i am 17/18?

If you only want to be in the Reserves until you are 17/18, do not join the Reserves.  If you want to be Regular Force when you are 17/18(be sure to finish high school), join the Reg Force at that time.  The transfer from Reserves to Reg Force can be long(over a year or two). 

TheGPH said:
Q: How hard is the initial training? My plan is to start doing pushups, pullups, and running/jogging, slowly adding more weight every 2 weeks to a schoolbag. until i can comfortably (?) run for at least a half hour with 80 pounds in the bag.

Do NOT run with weight.  Just go for regular runs and sprints/intervals and slowly increase distance, play sports, etc.  Also, do body weight exercises, and if your school has a weight room, take advantage of it. Have a look through some of the threads here about fitness, and how to prepare for BMQ(basic training).

TheGPH said:
Q: This is the biggest question i was wondering about.. Does canada ever go to combat? I was looking and some people on this forum said that the US army is more combat and close quarters adrenaline type things, and the Canadian Forces just give speeches and patrol, and nothing else. Is that true

Yes, the Canadian Forces does go to war when called to do so.

Google and Youtube search "Canada Combat Afghanistan". Canada has seen a lot of combat in southern Afghanistan(as well as a air campaign over Libya in 2011, etc). There is a lot more than just combat when it comes to the military. Also, the US also does more than just combat on deployments, as well not everyone gets what you would call a "action packed adrenaline type" deployment.

Something else you should research for combat.. combat related deaths, injuries and PTSD.

TheGPH said:
Q: (this question is aimed towards Regular Forces + the Reserves.) As far as i know, when you apply you can write down 3 jobs youd be interested in, then they will offer you one, and you either take it or walk out the recruitment center with nothing. Is that true?

Yes, you can write down a few trades on your application. Assuming you pass all testing, and get merit listed, you will may get a call with a job offer for X trade. If they offered you, your second choice on the application, but you really want your first you can say no to the offer and wait for a job offer for your first choice(how ever long that may take). Have a look through threads about the recruiting process - Regular Force and Reserve recruiting is a bit different as well.

TheGPH said:
Q: How do they make there decision on what career in the military your going to be offered? For example, if i wrote down Infantry Soldier, Armored Soldier, and Artillery Soldier, what is the chances of me getting Infantry Soldier? (thats the job im most interested in.)

All depends on if you meet the requirements for the trade, how you fit in the merit listing, what is currently open, etc.

TheGPH said:
Q: Is school an important factor for any of those 3 jobs listed in the above question? Especially Infantry.

What do you mean? Like do they care about what grades you get in high school? Or if you dropped out and only have grade 10?

Education is important no matter what, it makes you a better looking candidate, complete school and try to get the best marks/grades you can. As well, there are only so many open positions per year for these trades, and you are going against a lot of people for those few openings.  Make yourself the best candidate you can.

TheGPH said:
Q: This is the biggest question i was wondering about.. Does canada ever go to combat? I was looking and some people on this forum said that the US army is more combat and close quarters adrenaline type things, and the Canadian Forces just give speeches and patrol, and nothing else. Is that true?

:facepalm:

I've got to ask why have you not asked your brother any of these questions?

TheGPH said:
I know this has been posted a thousand times before..and ive looked through alot, but i still feel slightly uneducated and i want to know as much as possible before i apply.

So i am currently 15 years of age, and i have wanted to join the military for a while, 3-4 years maybe? When my brother went into the army reserves i heard about the things he got to do, what it was like, so i started researching more and more recently, (as theres no point in researching 4 years before i apply, things change fast.), and i see things that really interest me..

So here goes: (on a side note, all these questions are regarding the reserves, as theres no point in asking about the reg forces, if im not going in that for 3+ years.)

Thank you to any who answer, and hopefully ill see you in the future.  :cdn: :salute:

Seriously?  And your brother who was already in the Reserves wasn't able to answer any of these questions for you?  Okay, so top down, based on my YELLOW highlights.......

A - Come back and ask those questions 3-4 years from now, because things will have no doubt changed.
A - Same respone as before, your asking these question far too early.
A - Joinging the Reserves or joining the Regular Force is a choice.  If choose Reserves and decide to transfer to the Regular Force later on, it may take "longer".
A - You are the one who chooses the occupation, the CF does not choose the occupation for you.

Schindler's lift said:
:facepalm:

OMG, we think the same!    :facepalm:

Teager said:
I've got to ask why have you not asked your brother any of these questions?

Yup and to repeat what Schindler's lift said......      :facepalm:

It's not often I stray and get off track, but this is surely one of them.......

TheGPH said:

And yet, you still felt the need to start yet another thread asking the same questions, and you apparently have family in the CAF.

Some people seem to have been kind enough to answer your question.  I am not.  More reading, less posting for you.

Locked.

Hatchet Man
Army.ca Staff

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back