• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Joshua Boyle/Caitlan Coleman, AFG hostages, 2012-2017

Your missing the point. The "staffer, the senior or experienced PR agent", the appointments secretary, the COS or whomever.

Is Trudeau just a unthinking robot who is wound up and set forth? Did he see his appointments calendar at any time and ask "Why am I seeing this family?" Or after the proceeding appointment/meeting, did he say "What next on the agenda?" "Boyle, why am I seeing this family?"

Don't blame the lack of common sense on the "staff". It's Trudeau's decision on who he sees or doesn't see. He is the PM, the elected leader of a G8 country you know.

I didn’t miss it at all.  Thanks.

Not blaming it on a staffer either.  You missed my point or rather I didn’t explain it well enough.

Out of touch/depth staffer thinks this would make a good photo op based on a narrative he fell for.  The out of touch (I truly believe he is) pm agrees without thinking it through either.  Photo happens.  Senior guy finds out either after or during or whatever and suggests this might not be a good idea.  Clueless boss agrees and nothing goes out officially.  Too late though as Boyle emerges as a much bigger liability.

In the end yes it’s on the PM.  Not arguing that or deflecting.  Just putting out a scenario.

Rifleman62 said:
Your missing the point. The "staffer, the senior or experienced PR agent", the appointments secretary, the COS or whomever.

Is Trudeau just a unthinking robot who is wound up and set forth? Did he see his appointments calendar at any time and ask "Why am I seeing this family?" Or after the proceeding appointment/meeting, did he say "What next on the agenda?" "Boyle, why am I seeing this family?"

Don't blame the lack of common sense on the "staff". It's Trudeau's decision on who he sees or doesn't see. He is the PM, the elected leader of a G8 country you know.

Remius said:

Out of touch/depth staffer thinks this would make a good photo op based on a narrative he fell for. 

A "photo op" that wasn't published by the PM's office  but put up on Boyle's twitter? Riiiight.

Jarnhamar said:
A "photo op" that wasn't published by the PM's office  but put up on Boyle's twitter? Riiiight.

Exactly.  Someone put the brakes on but by then the train wreck was already happening.

Remius said:
Exactly.  Someone put the brakes on but by then the train wreck was already happening.

That's what's been bothering me about the meeting with the PM ... it looks like a cover-up and smells like a cover-up because, at some point, someone ~ maybe Justin Trudeau himself, but maybe he is just a sock-puppet ~ said, "Oh, this is so wrong on so many levels ... but we cannot undo it so let's try and pretend it never happened."

And CTV's Don Martin questions the judgement of JT et al:

https://www.ctvnews.ca/politics/don-martin-blog/don-martin-trudeau-showed-questionable-judgment-in-meeting-with-boyle-1.3746048

http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/boyle-trudeau-gurski-meeting-1.4472099

Good story.  Trudeau couldn't find time for a father who lost a son in Afghanistan but could for this guy.  ::)

Every day like clockwork, even when he’s on vacation, the Prime Minister’s Office kicks out Justin Trudeau’s itinerary.

But back on December 18, the itinerary listed Trudeau’s attendance at the new chief justice’s swearing-in ceremony and a chat with Quebec civic politicians, but nothing about meeting with freed hostage Joshua Boyle and his family, whose five-year ordeal while held captive by Taliban-linked hostage-takers in Afghanistan ended in October.

Well thats really strange isn't it? 

Maybe we'll hear some sort of
I don't think I did anything wrong  but I look forward to working with the ethics commissioner bla bla

Followed by

Sorry, I didn't know any better

Again.

E.R. Campbell said:
The Globe and Mail is reporting that the government (Global Affairs Canada) hired a NGO to help the Boyle family readjust after their release. Nothing wrong with that ... we (Canada) haven't had much experience with returned hostages, after all.

But I am perplexed by what appears (from what little we know) to be the "cloud" around Mr Boyle and his family ... some people seem to have tried to sound some alarms, or did they? Are some people just now trying to make 20/20 hindsight into insightful analysis?

At the time I thought that Mr Boyle was a naive fool for going where he did, and that his wife was even dumber for going along. I hope I was right ... but as MJP reminds us, hope is not a valid COA.

If he was something other than a naive fool then what in hell was he doing in the prime minister's office for a photo-op? Was some PR agent trying to engineer a 'narrative' in which someone like a returned Da'esh/ISIL/ISIS terrorist is turned around and made a positive force because he met Saint Mr Justin Trudeau?

It was probably d riven by the Trudeau 'Kinder Crowd', who noticed the popularity of the Boyle case on social media amongst millennials. They likely thought it would be a good move for 'St Justine' as he starts to ramp up for the next election.

This is a long running thing with the Liberals. After all, Jean Chretien worked to get the senior Khadar out of Egyptian prison, and there was no real rational really ever provided. Paul Martin didn't do photo ops with the LTTE, but certainly seemed to have friendly connections with people associated with the Tamil Tigers in Canada.

As for judgement, the multitude of gaffes coming out of Trudeau Jr's mouth from the time he began doing into politics should have been a clear warning....

Any chance that JT's good buddy Agha Khan suggested it would be a nice thing to for the PM to meet and Boyle be provided with supports?

Every once in a while I just get the feeling that someone is in JT's ear.....

Not surprised that this has all gone south: it stank from the very beginning. I'm fairly sure there will be some more interesting revelations. Dreadful lack of judgement on the part of the PMO and the PM himself.  A smart move would have been an RCMP or CSIS brief to the PM or his COS before any photo ops.

pbi said:
A smart move would have been an RCMP or CSIS brief to the PM or his COS before any photo ops.
But photo ops is what this PM does.

pbi said:
A smart move would have been an RCMP or CSIS brief to the PM or his COS before any photo ops.

I'm sure they'll have that process sorted out before PMJT's first photo op with a "returning foreign traveler".

Haggis said:
I'm sure they'll have that process sorted out before PMJT's first photo op with a "returning foreign traveler".

With a "returning foreign traveler" who has committed to and is undergoing rehabilitation, of course?  ;)

It may be that some "returning foreign travelers" may either just say they want to rehabilitate, or...believe they did nothing wrong and just come back to Canada to potentially prepare for their next travel abroad.

Regards
G2G

Joshua Boyle, who is now facing 19 charges, appeared in an Ottawa court via video link Friday morning. He will undergo a psychological assessment in Brockville, Ont., before his next court appearance in March.

http://www.cbc.ca/beta/news/canada/ottawa/joshua-boyle-ottawa-charges-court-1.4504010

:pop:

For those of you who may have lost track of this couple, they were "guests" of the Taliban for number of years.  In 2017 they returned to Canada and were hosted by PM Trudeau, a meeting which was very closely followed by Mr. Boyle's arrest in Ottawa on 19 charges related to alleged domestic violence. I placed it here due to the nexus to the PM.  Mods fell free to move or delete it..

An interesting article on today's court proceedings.

Back