• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Joining NAVRES with full-time job.

Ironman118

Banned
Banned
Inactive
Reaction score
Hello all,

I've searched the forums and have found some information I've been looking for but I'm specifically looking for course length information. I currently work for a Police service as a civilian analyst, on a 4 on 4 off schedule. Ex reg force member (Got out in 2014). Wanting to join the NAVRES based in Hamilton but wanted to know a couple things if anyone could help me out.

I'm mostly interested in Cook, and Bos'n. Is the Cook course as a reservist broken down into "MOD chunks" or are you expected to go to Borden for a few months to do the QL3 all in one shot? Same questoin for the Bos'n course, although I've heard from buddies who are still in, that the Bosn' course is only 4 weeks long for reservists. I'm sure I could submit a memo/take vacation time for a course but I think 2-3 months at a time might be pushing it.

Any insight would be very appreciated.

Coursing for those with full tome employment is always an issue. There is no problem regarding your 4 onn 4 off rotation. The unit should  be sufficiently flexible. If you got out in 2014, you may get a BMQ bypass, but I admit that I don't know the current rules on that subject. I'm away from work right now, but once I return I can look up the courxe details for both Bosn and Cook. Unless someone beats me to it of course.

Ironman118 said:
Hello all,

I've searched the forums and have found some information I've been looking for but I'm specifically looking for course length information. I currently work for a Police service as a civilian analyst, on a 4 on 4 off schedule. Ex reg force member (Got out in 2014). Wanting to join the NAVRES based in Hamilton but wanted to know a couple things if anyone could help me out.

Have you contacted STAR yet? Their recruiters are top notch and can answer all of these questions.

ModlrMike said:
Coursing for those with full tome employment is always an issue. There is no problem regarding your 4 onn 4 off rotation. The unit should  be sufficiently flexible. If you got out in 2014, you may get a BMQ bypass, but I admit that I don't know the current rules on that subject. I'm away from work right now, but once I return I can look up the courxe details for both Bosn and Cook. Unless someone beats me to it of course.
I'm not EXPECTING a bypass, but it would be nice. I tried to rejoin the reg force a couple years ago but was told my non-offensive small finger tattoo was an issue and I'd have to get it removed (I got it while I was in the Forces, funnily enough). Do you know if this would still be an issue? I've been told by people that it shouldn't have been a problem but I know things constantly change IRT regs, etc.

Lumber said:
Have you contacted STAR yet? Their recruiters are top notch and can answer all of these questions.

Working on it!  ;D  There was a little mix up with them not receiving my email that I sent, if I don't hear back by next week I'll just call in. I've heard good things about STAR.

Ironman118 said:
Hello all,

I'm mostly interested in Cook, and Bos'n. Is the Cook course as a reservist broken down into "MOD chunks" or are you expected to go to Borden for a few months to do the QL3 all in one shot? Same questoin for the Bos'n course, although I've heard from buddies who are still in, that the Bosn' course is only 4 weeks long for reservists. I'm sure I could submit a memo/take vacation time for a course but I think 2-3 months at a time might be pushing it.

Any insight would be very appreciated.

Ironman118,

I'm not too sure how the Cook courses are run, but I'm assuming it is broken down into MOD's. I know a couple people who have completed their cook courses in stages. It is possible. I don't know how long it is either.

As for the Boatswain trade, the course is now 2 and a half months long. This is a course where you can complete it one MOD at a time, if that's all you're available for.  If you chose this route you'll be expected to also complete OJT (much less flexible than Cook-OJT). The OJT for boatswain will require you to sail, so what that means is more time away from your civi job. You could probably get the OJT done in 2 months (minimum) but that doesn't account for the time spent alongside doing workups and GD.

There are two members at my unit (both boatswains) who have full time jobs and still need to work on their OJT, but are also unable to take time off from their civilian employer (they also have kids) to complete it. So, if you were to pick the boatswain trade make sure you have the ability to take that big chunk of time off.

I would also suggest looking into the Port Inspection Diver trade. STAR has a diving section and they have some good competent people in that department. That course is 9 weeks. After that you only have to dive once every 90 days and you can still drive the boats. Super flexible. I'm actually in the process of VOT-ing from Boatswain to PID. So if you'd like to ask more about both trades send me a PM.

As mentioned in the previous posts, your best to just contact STAR recruiting and ask about the time commitments and the tattoo issue.

Regards,
jaysfan17

PID is overborne by at least 200 applicants last I heard. I say applicants because folks have to pass the dive medical in order to be formally assigned to the trade.

jaysfan17 said:
Ironman118,

I'm not too sure how the Cook courses are run, but I'm assuming it is broken down into MOD's. I know a couple people who have completed their cook courses in stages. It is possible. I don't know how long it is either.

As mentioned in the previous posts, your best to just contact STAR recruiting and ask about the time commitments and the tattoo issue.

Regards,
jaysfan17

Thank you for all the information! Im hoping that it is the case that I can do the Cook course in chunks. I had inquired with the unit about PID since I tech dive civvie side but they werent recruiting for that trade, Cook was a close second for choice.

Ironman118 said:
Thank you for all the information! Im hoping that it is the case that I can do the Cook course in chunks. I had inquired with the unit about PID since I tech dive civvie side but they werent recruiting for that trade, Cook was a close second for choice.

I was told by the recruiter at my unit that after March 31st new positions open up, ie: PID openings. However,  with this whole virus thing going on and bases having all these restrictions, I’d just wait out for a bit. IMO. Cook is a good trade though. Good luck!

If you don’t mind me asking, what did you do in the Reg forces?

jaysfan17 said:
I was told by the recruiter at my unit that after March 31st new positions open up, ie: PID openings. However,  with this whole virus thing going on and bases having all these restrictions, I’d just wait out for a bit. IMO. Cook is a good trade though. Good luck!

If you don’t mind me asking, what did you do in the Reg forces?

Was a combat engineer up in Gagetown. Yeah, I wouldnt be surprised if they halt recruiting or something similar with this thing going around.

Back