• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Jeffrey Deslisle-former RCN, convicted of spying

Boxkicker said:
Let me clarify the charges should be treason!! He swore an oath of duty and honour he broke that oath. As someone in his postion he would have had access to highly sensitive material.

As well I did read and I know what he was charged with espionage against his own, to me know matter how someone else looks at it is treason.

ON a different note I do remember when Chretien had the death penalty removed from the NDA, and when we used to train for the big bad Russians.

As was stated by recceguy wait to this individual has his day in Court before spouting off about treason etc. This is your last warning.

Edited to correct quote box

This should prove to be very interesting. And it could have been ANY country - or group - that was allegedly buying info from the accused.

We may never know the true details though.

Does this mean he is right side justified on his next PER for leading change??
Do the crime do the time but when the lawyers get involved this case will take a very long time.

Tow Tripod said:
Does this mean he is right side justified on his next PER for leading change??
Do the crime do the time but when the lawyers get involved this case will take a very long time.

By not taking bail, he's banking up time for a 'two for one' at sentencing. Not saying that's his plan, just an observation.

recceguy said:
By not taking bail, he's banking up time for a 'two for one' at sentencing. Not saying that's his plan, just an observation.

That's gone out the window recently.  He's SOL in that respect I believe.

Jim Seggie said:
This should prove to be very interesting. And it could have been ANY country - or group - that was allegedly buying info from the accused.

We may never know the true details though.

Interesting indeed. Regardless of guilt or innocence, I'm pretty sure that this is the first instance of prosecution of espionage in Canada. If anything, it should be a wake-up as to foreign interest and activities in this country

Its definitly not the first.

The first took place shortly after the 2nd world war.  Russia was caught conducting massive espionage ops in Canada although the King govt at the time tried very very hard to ignore it.

Let's also remember, the likes of "Wikileaks" could also be considered a foreign entity.  There are many other organization chomping at the bit to be the new information source, with a lot more to offer than some nations.

dileas

tess

So just listening to CBC Ottawa and they refer to him as a "high level Navy officer"...typical CBC reporting

riggermade said:
So just listening to CBC Ottawa and they refer to him as a "high level Navy officer"...typical CBC reporting

I heard Scott Taylor  on News Talk Radio 95.7 FM describe, Sub Lieutenant, as the lowest commissioned rank in the Navy.  But of course we all know the depths of his knowledge... :rofl:

If there are any gorgeous FEMALE Russian spies with a backpack full of money I am a very high ranking Navy official and my PM function is turned on.

I can tell you about our fleet of Submarines, our destroys and cruisers and their bigger cousins our frigates.

Grimaldus said:
If there are any gorgeous FEMALE Russian spies with a backpack full of money I am a very high ranking Navy official and my PM function is turned on.

I can tell you about our fleet of Submarines, our destroys and cruisers and their bigger cousins our frigates.

This is all pillow talk....correct?  :nod:

recceguy said:

There is another possibility, that he (or others) may be thinking that being held in custody may be safer than being out where persons of ill intent may attempt to bring harm to him.

Oh, you mean the packs of reporters who would be baying for blood I mean a story.

jollyjacktar said:
Oh, you mean the packs of reporters who would be baying for blood I mean a story.

Actually, I was thinking about misguided persons who felt they needed to exact their own form of justice.

Or unnamed co-conspirators who may wish to send a message to STFU.

But, then again, keeping the press at bay would also be a big side benefit.

cupper said:
Actually, I was thinking about misguided persons who felt they needed to exact their own form of justice.
Yes, yes.  That's who I meant, "The Press Corps",  CBC in particular.  ;D

the 48th regulator said:
Let's also remember, the likes of "Wikileaks" could also be considered a foreign entity.  There are many other organization chomping at the bit to be the new information source, with a lot more to offer than some nations.

dileas

tess

Actually, I don't think so. Its kind of convoluted but according to the Security of Information Act, a foreign entity is defined as a "foreign power/group or an association of foreign powers or a person acting at the direction .... of a foreign power;" a foreign power in turn means "a government of a foreign state/ an entity exercising or purporting act in the behalf of a foreign state" or "a political faction or party operating within a foreign state ....;" a foreign state in turn is defined as "a state other than Canada/ a province, state or other political subdivision" or "a colony, dependency, possession, protectorate, etc falling under the jurisdiction of a state other than Canada." 

In other words, a foreign entity is a political organization (eg country) or some group acting in the behalf of of a foreign government (eg spy agency).

Nothing to it ... clear as mud. 

Retired AF Guy said:
Actually, I don't think so. Its kind of convoluted but according to the Security of Information Act, a foreign entity is defined as a "foreign power/group or an association of foreign powers or a person acting at the direction .... of a foreign power;" a foreign power in turn means "a government of a foreign state/ an entity exercising or purporting act in the behalf of a foreign state" or "a political faction or party operating within a foreign state ....;" a foreign state in turn is defined as "a state other than Canada/ a province, state or other political subdivision" or "a colony, dependency, possession, protectorate, etc falling under the jurisdiction of a state other than Canada." 

In other words, a foreign entity is a political organization (eg country) or some group acting in the behalf of of a foreign government (eg spy agency).

Nothing to it ... clear as mud.

Ahh roger that.

I was thinking it can also be the same as US's Pte Bradley Manning's case.

dileas

tess

Back