• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Jarhead

Sh0rtbUs

Army.ca Veteran
Inactive
Reaction score
Anyone else interested in checking this out? As well, has anyone read the book, and what was your impressions about it?

http://playlist.yahoo.com/makeplaylist.dll?id=1374069&sdm=web&qtw=480&qth=300

Could be a hit or miss in my books. Im afraid its going to lean to the left a little too much ...

46 views, yet nobody has anything to say regarding it!? interesting...

I've read it.  I would suggest that you sign it out from the local library as opposed to spending your hard earned money on this book. 

It is written in what likely passes as a very "artistic" style.  That being said, it is an intersting and easy read.  Swoffard strikes me as a bit of a bag of hammers as a soldier.  I think if he did half of the things he brags about in this book he would likely still be in the brig.

I can't see too many Marines appreciating this book.

The book is okay, but... He doesn't really see any action... Most of the book is about how they trained in Saudi Arabia and how they had to clear the Bunkers in Kuwait after the war!
And the part about how he dresses up in his basement is simply disturbing!  :eek:

Right now I'm reading "Boots on the ground" By Karl Zinsmeister. It follows the 82nd Airborne Division From Kuwait to Talil doing Operation Iraqi Freedom...  :threat:

Here's a review of the book by a retired marine infantry officer
http://www.westwrite.com/action.lasso?-database=WWProducts&-layout=CGI&-response=articles_detail.htm&-recordID=32863&-token=%5bFMP-currenttoken%5d&-search

After reading Bing West's review (a real author), I'll skip this asshats book AND movie....

I work with a fella in Baghdad who claims to have been in the same unit as Swofford.  He says most of the book is a testament to his literary skills and not to his sniping/soldiering skills. I found the book only interesting.  I tend to agree with my colleague.... I'm sure there were more intersting stories out there but didn't have the vehicle to get the story out.

Theres a movie coming out soon with Jake Gyllenhall or Toby Maguire with the same name as the book

Alex252 said:
Theres a movie coming out soon with Jake Gyllenhall or Toby Maguire with the same name as the book

Yea.. perhaps you didn't notice but the movie has been mentioned here an the movie trailer has been posted here. And Jake Gyllenhaal is in it, not maguire.

Here's another review of the book from another marine.

http://imdb.com/title/tt0418763/board/thread/14407285?d=14774176#14774176

I love the theme song.  Didn't take long to download it.  Kanye West-Jesus walks with me. 

cool.

Hey, it looks like this movie is going to be a big hit at the oscars:

Press Release Source: BetWWTS.com

First Official 2006 Academy Awards Odds Released By BetWWTS.com
Wednesday September 28, 11:41 am ET

ST. JOHN'S, Antigua, Sept. 28 /PRNewswire/ -- With the jury still out and several months left until the announcement of the official Oscar nominations, the odds makers at BetWWTS.com have already begun calculating the odds for the 79th Annual Academy Awards. BetWWTS.com, the first bookmaker in the world to offer betting lines on the Oscars, has released early odds on the top 10 contenders for Best Motion Picture.

Among the top contenders for best picture is "Jarhead," a fact-based drama from "American Beauty" director Sam Mendes; "Brokeback Mountain," a romantic drama set in 1963, starring Heath Ledger; and "Munich," a dramatic recount of the Israeli attempt to avenge the 1972 Munich Massacre. Noticeably at the bottom of the list is "Cinderella Man." With such big names as director Ron Howard, Russell Crowe and Renee Zellweger, this movie was an instant hit and thought to be a big Oscar contender, however, the buzz has faded on this one and we see it struggling to make the cut on nomination day.

When asked about the early release of odds on the Oscars, BetWWTS.com Lines Manager Michael Perry explained that the company pioneered the release of Oscar odds in 2002, which created a huge interest in Oscar betting and that this year they are looking to add a unique element that will capture and keep the attention of movie fanatics. "Every year, we release odds on the major categories right after the nominees are announced; that worked for a few years but the bettors are getting tired of the routine," he commented. "This year, we will be releasing early odds on the major category, which is Best Motion Picture, and follow their performance along with the critics and movie fans."

A leading offshore gaming company for over 10 years, BetWWTS.com is known for its unique entertainment offerings and has created odds on the Emmys, Golden Globes and a number of reality TV shows.

Current Odds:            *All odds are subject to change*

Best Motion Picture:
    Jarhead                              7/2
    Munich                              6/1
    Brokeback Mountain            7/1
    The New World                  10/1
    The White Countess            12/1
    Memories of a Geisha            12/1
    Cinderella Man                      15/1
    Walk the Line                      15/1
    All the King's Men                  20/1
    Elizabethtown                      25/1

For more information and a complete list of odds, please visit http://www.betwwts.com .

previews and trailers of the movie...

Has a good cast, but that doesn't mean anything anymore

I recently read this book... as its one of the only books that had the magical ability to grab my attention.. I read it through in about 3 days.
I thought it was absolutely excellent, and I thought the similarities between the life of the marines and the life of candian soldiers were very very similar.

I got my first taste of the yankees last year while I was in virginia... they really are quite similar... we both screw around alot more than we should and complain about everything =p
jk

I just saw that theyre making this book into a movie, and saw the trailer. I hope it does justice to the book, but by the looks of things, it appears to be very well done.

Anyone else read this ?

My bad. Didnt see the previous topic =p

Still though, I thought the book was really interesting.
That review by the infantry officer was ridiculously biased I found. Seems to me he simply despised swoffords character, and was just pre disposed to hating the book after the first 50 pages.

Take it for what it is... interesting.

I have read the reviews of this book and find that, if the reviews about the book are accurate (as they must be to get printed where they did) then the book's author is the type of person who probably didn't have many frinds in the service, didn't interact well with others and was probably the platoon (if not company) shit-magnate for his time in!

I think I'll skip the movie as I've seen too many peope like that in rreal life.

I saw the preview for this in the movie theater the other night (Doom is a brainless but fun movie BTW).
I am dying to see Jarhead now. If the guy who wrote it is telling some tall tails, oh well, it is a war movie! I am sure there are some general truths in the movie, and might give an idea of what it was like for a soldier in that war.

Back