• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

IR in Edmonton

Line052

Inactive
Reaction score
Looking at being posted this APS to Edmonton and due to Family education requirements at my current posting I will most likely be going IR for the first year. I have heard that I will be required to live in the Shacks on IR in Edmonton, unsure if this includes having to eat at the mess as well. Is this the only option that is offered? I am wondering how they can not allow you to have the same QOL on IR in Edmonton that is afforded those on IR here in Kingston, where they are permitted $1600 to secure accomidations. I was hoping to take 1 of my dogs with me to Edmonton as well as to have a place for my Spouse/son to stay when they visit me. I do realize that it is my choice to go on IR but I question that I can not live on the economy like other locations.

Any insight or info is appericated

The only reason a base would allow you to live on the economy is if the base does not have accomodations available to IR personnel.  Kingston is regularly full to the brim with people who HAVE to live in shacks due to courses and what-not, which explains why IR is offered on the economy.

Edmonton has occasionally allowed pers to live on the economy, but that is usually because people are being posted to the base at a time when the area is full up with augmentees getting ready to deploy or people on course.

Make sure that they have quarters available that meet the standards for IR ...

See this thread ...

And yes, they can force you to live in the shacks ... provided that those shacks "meet" that standard. Many bases do not have enough shacks that meet the standards (private washroom facilities, cookspace etc), so those pers can rent off-base if none that meets standards is available.

Although, I do hear that there are numerous pers being forced to move into below the residential standard on-base accomodations while IR, and at least two grievances coming that I know of. Time will tell.

Strike said:
The only reason a base would allow you to live on the economy is if the base does not have accomodations available to IR personnel.  Kingston is regularly full to the brim with people who HAVE to live in shacks due to courses and what-not, which explains why IR is offered on the economy.

Edmonton has occasionally allowed pers to live on the economy, but that is usually because people are being posted to the base at a time when the area is full up with augmentees getting ready to deploy or people on course.

Kingston doesn't have many shacks that meet the IR residential standard. That's why some are housed in on-base PMQ apartments and most in off-base.

The new quarters (Same as Wx)  in Edmonton will be ready this summer and will meet the requirements.

Grunt_031 said:
The new quarters (Same as Wx)  in Edmonton will be ready this summer and will meet the requirements.

And, there you have it.  :)

In Wainwright while on IR you have to eat in the All Ranks Kitchen. We do not have a cook space in 654 or 653.

George Wallace said:
Couldn't IR be considered "transient" in certain lights?    ;D

Yep. In Borden, I was IR, but was 'kept' in a transient suite for the duration.

Likewise mt 3 X 1/2 days post-deployment this past December, I was into a suite rather than a hotel.

Check the CANFORGENS for recent changes to SE, etc which came into effect on 01 Jan 2012. 

PMedMoe said:
Check the CANFORGENS for recent changes to SE, etc which came into effect on 01 Jan 2012.

That'll have to wait until I get back to work. But, already auth'd me to start apartment hunting.

Our OR says that it works out to about $4.00 less per day, but nobody's actually done the calculation yet.

Loachman said:
Our OR says that it works out to about $4.00 less per day, but nobody's actually done the calculation yet.

Really?  What about deducting days when you go home on the weekend?  Or deducting the leave when you take it as opposed to the two days per month they used to automatically deduct?  Some months are going to be much less.  For me, February will suck.

PMedMoe said:
Really?  What about deducting days when you go home on the weekend?  Or deducting the leave when you take it as opposed to the two days per month they used to automatically deduct?  Some months are going to be much less.  For me, February will suck.

That's how it (the rules) was my first IR posting. I've got zero issues with that as when I'm home, I am not separated from my family/residence. I'm quite OK with the taxpayer not paying me separation allowance on days that I'm not separated from them --- quite like you lose the days of IR when yiou are TD'd where your family is.

ArmyVern said:
That's how it (the rules) was my first IR posting. I've got zero issues with that as when I'm home, I am not separated from my family/residence. I'm quite OK with the taxpayer not paying me separation allowance on days that I'm not separated from them --- quite like you lose the days of IR when yiou are TD'd where your family is.

Never had that in Ottawa.  They just deducted the two days per month for leave and if you were on TD.  Oh well, I really don't care.  It actually only boils down to one day a week anyway.

PMedMoe said:
Never had that in Ottawa.  They just deducted the two days per month for leave and if you were on TD.  Oh well, I really don't care.  It actually only boils down to one day a week anyway.

It changed while I was in PEI on IR - 2006 I believe it was that it changed.

When I began my IR there, we had to report the days that we were "reunited with our families" (ie: they were in PEI OR I was in Gagetown at the family home) and the days we were on leave and days that we were on TD somewhere (as our meals and accommodations were being covered by the CF then anyway) and all of those days were deducted from the calendar days in the month.

They've simply reverted to the old way of doing business --- and most certainly, the most cost-effective way of doing business.

ArmyVern said:

What about when you are forced to burn leave off and cant go home? Is it fair for SE not to be collected then? Or how about when you are on special leave because you worked a Saturday? I agree with not paying when you are on leave at home. When I first took leave I brought me leave pass in expecting to not get SE those days but was told they do not deduct that anymore. The CBI contradicts itself, stating that SE is meant to compensate for additional expenses while separated from family and DF&E while  a few paragraphs later it states SE will be ceased when on leave of any type. I would imaging there will be some clarification on that in the next several weeks as there has been in the past.

wesleyd said:
What about when you are forced to burn leave off and cant go home? Is it fair for SE not to be collected then? Or how about when you are on special leave because you worked a Saturday? I agree with not paying when you are on leave at home. When I first took leave I brought me leave pass in expecting to not get SE those days but was told they do not deduct that anymore. The CBI contradicts itself, stating that SE is meant to compensate for additional expenses while separated from family and DF&E while  a few paragraphs later it states SE will be ceased when on leave of any type. I would imaging there will be some clarification on that in the next several weeks as there has been in the past.

Who is forcing you to stay wherever to burn off your leave? Or is that your choice? If you are on leave - with a valid leave pass - have at 'er. So yes, you can be forced to burn off your leave, but you can't be forced to stay away from your family while doing so.

So, what's wrong with the CBI again? It's to compensate you for additional expenses while away from family and F&E. If you choose not to go home to your family while on leave, that's personal.

I would love to go home every time I am on leave. But 600 dollars plus tax to fly home I cannot afford. LTA is only offered once per year.
I was saying the CBI contradicts itself by saying SE should be ceased even when on special leave. I cannot fly home for one day or a weekend every month, my unit does not allow for CTO so I have to submit special leave forms, 2 per month for the 8 evenings and 1 weekend per month extra that I work. To say it is a personal choice to not be with my family is just wrong.

ArmyVern said:
Kingston doesn't have many shacks that meet the IR residential standard. That's why some are housed in on-base PMQ apartments and most in off-base.

"Shacks" and "residential" are two very separate issues, though.  While yes, Kingston is full and all IR mbrs are living on the economy, mbrs posted to bases with ample barrack space are still expected to reside in quarters.  When that's the case (on IR with the benefit of R&Q), there is no "standard" according to the Treasury Board.  They even specifically mention a tent.

I've noticed the term "IR standard" has popped up quite a bit around here, though, and I can't seem to find a source for it.

s_other said:
"Shacks" and "residential" are two very separate issues, though.  While yes, Kingston is full and all IR mbrs are living on the economy, mbrs posted to bases with ample barrack space are still expected to reside in quarters.  When that's the case (on IR with the benefit of R&Q), there is no "standard" according to the Treasury Board.  They even specifically mention a tent.

I've noticed the term "IR standard" has popped up quite a bit around here, though, and I can't seem to find a source for it.

No, all IR pers in Kingston do NOT live on the economy.

Now, as for living in quarters if there is space ... we've already said that --- a couple of times. The link to the quarters residential standard is given in a previous post in this thread.

Yes, a tent is mentioned because, like me, many IR pers still go to the field on ex/trg when posted somewhere IR ... when that occurs, tents are acceptable.  ;)

Back