• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

iPod Help

Scott

Staff member
Directing Staff
Subscriber
Inactive
Reaction score
I've got an iPod Classic, 160 gig, that I purchased a little over a year ago (thus not being under Apple's warranty) and the bloody thing will not turn on, not even a flash.

The other day I retrieved it for the first time in about a month and found it stone dead. I plugged it in and charged it until full. The next day I found it dead again and charged it again. It was working okay after this but was giving me some trouble in the starting of songs. Now it won't do a damned thing.

I've been to the Apple forums, installed newer version of iTunes and restarted my computer along with trying all the stuff Apple suggests.

Anyone out there with some personal experience with this or tech expertise? Or am I simply hooped and have to purchase a new one or send it to Apple?

FYI: Apple wants people to PAY for tech support by phone? What kind of bullshit is this?

Not being familiar with iPods, bear with me:

Do you have an alternate charging method?  Perhaps it's not the iPod itself, you may not be getting a charge into it.

Is it being detected when you plug it into your computer?

Paying for telephone support is pretty much par for the course now. 

Have you tried restoring it to factory settings (through iTunes) and then going through the whole noz of updating it?  That might work.  Takes some time but can't hurt.

If you've gone through these 5 R's then I bet its a paper weight now.  :2c:

http://www.apple.com/support/ipod/five_rs/classic/

Scott said:
I've got an iPod Classic, 160 gig, that I purchased a little over a year ago (thus not being under Apple's warranty) and the bloody thing will not turn on, not even a flash.

The other day I retrieved it for the first time in about a month and found it stone dead. I plugged it in and charged it until full. The next day I found it dead again and charged it again. It was working okay after this but was giving me some trouble in the starting of songs. Now it won't do a damned thing.

I've been to the Apple forums, installed newer version of iTunes and restarted my computer along with trying all the stuff Apple suggests.

Anyone out there with some personal experience with this or tech expertise? Or am I simply hooped and have to purchase a new one or send it to Apple?

FYI: Apple wants people to PAY for tech support by phone? What kind of bullshit is this?

I traded the Classic for a new 8GB Nano. Much lighter and I think it will be dependable. All I got for the Classic was 10% off the Nano.

Well fuck.

I've been through the 5 R's so methinks I am hooped.

It is not even being detected on my machine so everything is out until it will switch on...which won't happen after the 5 R's so I guess I am back to the above comment

You could take it to the Apple Store. I did and the young man tested it and we figured the hard drive was fried.

The new Nano is nice.

Thanks Jim, the next time I hit Halifax I'll take the damned thing with me.

This is my third iPod and the first time I've had major issues with one. A couple of years ago when I had an 8 gig Nano it kept getting wiped when I charged it from certain computers but we were always able to recover everything, just not playlists.

As said, I hardly ever use this one so I am puzzled and pissed that I am only a month past my year of having it  :mad:

Sounds like the battery to me. Classic iPods seem to only like being plugged into 1 computer, no car chargers, and charged only when low like a cell :p

This link might help but I agree that Apple will prob have to look at it if you don't want to replace the battery yourself.

http://www.ifixit.com/Wiki/iPod_Classic_Troubleshooting

Scott said:
A couple of years ago when I had an 8 gig Nano it kept getting wiped when I charged it from certain computers but we were always able to recover everything, just not playlists.

There's a way to ensure that they won't get wiped.

Open itunes before plugging it in. Go to the "edit" bar on the top, then select "Preferences". When the box opens, look for the "devices" bar at the top, and click on that. You'll see a few options with boxes beside them. One says "Prevent ipods, iphones, and ipads from syncing automatically. Click on that box, and you should have no issues.

I recently got an 8G ipod nano as well, and so far have had no issues. Hopefully this is still the case a year from now. If mine craps out too, then we'll know what Apple's policy relating to 'planned obsolescence' is.

Also, it didn't happen to come into contact with any magnets, did it? A friend of mine had a somewhat similar issue, and apparently it was due to keeping it in a drawer next to some rare earth magnets.

Found these guys: http://www.ishoprepair.ca/ and it sounds legit...

My iPod gets plugged into a Belkin car adapter that charges it as well and I have never had issues. I also have a case for it with a magnet closure - again, no issues.

My IPod was tossed in a lake and I brought it to iRepair.ca in Toronto (http://www.irepair.ca/). They tested it for free while I waited and were very professional. They said that usually it is the board or hard-drive that would be damaged and replacing one or the other is cheaper than buying a new one. Mine wasn't able to be fixed because both were fried and it would have cost more to repair than buying a new one. The Apple store told me that they would give me a discount on purchasing a new one if I brought in the fried one. It wasn't much, 10% or so.

Back