• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

If we went to war?

FormerHorseGuard

Reaction score
I am looking at all the kit being loaned, donated, off loaded on the Ukraine and was wondering what equipment would you want donated to Canada if we were in their shoes?

Posted here because it is not important post but you get to post your crazy wish list of equipment

What do we need to fight a peer type war ?
Post away

I am looking at all the kit being loaned, donated, off loaded on the Ukraine and was wondering what equipment would you want donated to Canada if we were in their shoes?

Posted here because it is not important post but you get to post your crazy wish list of equipment

Post away

Starting with issued boots that don't injure the soldier due to poor design and production, or just stick with things like a bayonet that doesn't break and, you know, MRLS etc etc etc?

Starting with issued boots that don't injure the soldier due to poor design and production, or just stick with things like a bayonet that doesn't break and, you know, MRLS etc etc etc?
Lets go even lower... how about a decent shovel for proper entrenchment?

Once we are able to dig nice holes, we can work our way up from there.

Weren't we on the winning side of two world wars in parade boots, puttees, wool battle dress and the finest bolt action rifles ever developed ?

Post away
A new Prime Minister?

We would have capitulated before any help could be sent. There are member's within our political class that, should have have a Zombie invasion knocking at the gates of Parliament, calling for us to see things from their perspective; and try to advocate for hteir protection and rights.

We have politicians who cower at people honking their horns, I doubt that any of them would step up and do what's needed once the first volley is fired.

I suggest the OP read up on Gulf War I (1990-1991). Specifically, the (approximately) 30 day interval between the announcement that three ships would deploy to the Gulf and the actual departure date.

For those that were there, they were a mad and crazy 30 days.

I suggest the OP read up on Gulf War I (1990-1991). Specifically, the (approximately) 30 day interval between the announcement that three ships would deploy to the Gulf and the actual departure date.

For those that were there, they were a mad and crazy 30 days.
Govt of Canada: "hah look at those stupid Russians putting Green SAMs on their Tugs!"

Random Bystander: "you did the same thing in the Gulf War with your Ships and most of the Missiles failed..."

Govt of Canada:
Be Quiet Mr P GIF by @ICT_MrP

Simple answer is we would need everything. We lack all types of equipment, have next to no war stock, have very limited amounts of what we do possess, and do not have the capability to sustain ourselves for any extended length of time.

We would be facing a casualty rate of at least a company a day based off what is happening right now (likely more as since we would lack even the most basic defenses against certain equipment we would likely take higher casualties to that equipment). So that gives us what, two weeks? Three weeks? Basically the same amount of time it would take for our equipment to be completely destroyed.

The good news is that we don’t go to war without our big brother USA. And they happen to more than make up for our slack. If there was a real shooting war I can see us just asking to be fully equipped with whatever they are using as it would really be our only option to last any length of time. If we were on our own it would make the CAF look like the photo I attached of the Cameron's in WWI before and after, except that would more be what we look like after a couple weeks instead of years. Maybe give ourselves a place in history like the Polish Cavalry in WWII.

Attachments

• Cameron Highlanders.jpg
    Cameron Highlanders.jpg
    91.1 KB · Views: 23
Has anyone done an audit of our War Stock? When can we expect the government to replace what they gave away? Or will they? Do we have anything left worth using? Was any of the stuff in Ukraine taken from individual units? What was the answer when they asked when they'd be replaced? Did we provide a list of what was available or did the government just commandeer it what they wanted? Inquiring minds and all that.

Lets go even lower... how about a decent shovel for proper entrenchment?

Once we are able to dig nice holes, we can work our way up from there.
Listen, you're a retired navy vet. Stay in your lane. ;)

Also, my serious answer is artillery and lots of ammunition.

My less serious answer is a squadron of spitfires!

Has anyone done an audit of our War Stock? When can we expect the government to replace what they gave away? Or will they? Do we have anything left worth using? Was any of the stuff in Ukraine taken from individual units? What was the answer when they asked when they'd be replaced? Did we provide a list of what was available or did the government just commandeer it what they wanted? Inquiring minds and all that.

We have more pressing matters, like updating our approved list of signature pronouns.

Back