• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

How'd you spend Remembrance Day?

The Bread Guy

Staff member
Directing Staff
Subscriber
Donor
Reaction score
Not in anymore, but I try to hit at least some of the Remembrance Day gatherings following the cenotaph ceremony.  Just sharing a few highlights as they come to me - feel free to share yours, too.

Thunder Bay, having a legacy of once being two cities, continues in its almost Balkan-tribal "if there's a ceremony in the north side, there must be a separate but equal one in the south side of town".  I attend at the cenotaph where I used to parade as a Reserve infanteer.  To be honest, I was disappointed in the turnout, although being a weekend, the organized groups of school classes coming out and then going back to school weren't there.

Shirley Boneca, Tony's mom, was the Memorial Cross Mother laying her wreath at our cenotaph.  I understand a relative of Robert Costall laid a wreath at the south side ceremony.

Sgt's mess had a "memorial" table, with a Canadian flag hung up behind it, with framed photos of Josh Klukie, Tony Boneca and Robert Costall, each with a lit candle next to it.  There was a book of condolence to sign on the table as well.

A group of about a dozen PPCLI soldiers who were with Tony Boneca when he was killed (some from his section, some from his platoon, some from other companies) were there, coming to pay their respects to Tony's parents and his final resting place.  I'm told the Bonecas hosted them last night and tonight, with all traditional Portuguese hospitality.  I bought a couple of them a drink, thanked them, and was told it was an emotional visit for them.  I think it was good for both sides - the parents hearing more about their only son, the troops being able to see the kind of mutual support Tony's Thunder Bay colleagues were capable of.  The PPCLI troops presented a display case with Tony's helmet in it to the Lake Superior Scottish Regiment - no word on where it will be displayed yet.

Maybe I'm getting old, but the troops - Reg & Reserve - are looking awfully, awfully young.

Talked to officers in the Regiment, telling them I hope the recent stretch of not having to deliver bad news to parents would continue, while at the same time hoping I wasn't jinxing it by just saying it.

Had a chance to chat with both Old Medic and dglad in one of the messes.

The crowd in the Sgt's mess (all ranks eventually ended up there) was big.  Sadly, fewer and fewer WW2 vets about or on parade - only saw what appeared to be one in the mess. 

Wondered why we didn't (as we have in other years) hit the Naval Reserve Chiefs & PO's mess.  Talked to others who said it might be because of Tony's death, with everyone wanting to stay at "home station" at the Armouries more than usual.  Someone said it was an odd way to remember, drinking and socializing.  I said it's really no more odd than, say, the reception announced after a graveside service.

Spent some time at one of the Legions in Thunder Bay, had the egg salad & ham sandwiches prepared by the women of the Legion.

Bought a beer for a senior medical officer Reservist (nurse) who'd been to K'Har, and had the dual duty of helping the sick/wounded and, because of his certification as a funeral director, also helped the US Mortuary Affairs troops - even helped prepare Tony Boneca for the final trip home.  He wants to go back next year.  Either job is tough, and I told him I respected him for doing both.

Most of the troops ended up at a club run by a former Reservist.  More drinking.  Pizza ordered and eaten.  More drinking.  Some broken glasses, but no fights.  More drinking.  When CBC Newsworld showed photos of the fallen in a montage, the biggest rounds of applause from the assembled Reg & Reserve members in the room were when Tony Boneca's and Josh Klukie's photos came on screen.  More drinking.  I went home early, having spent time with former Regimental alumni, as well as up-and-coming members of the Regiment.

Maybe I think too much about someone who'd had a few wobbly pops telling me I have an "inordinate affection" with respect to people connected with the fallen.  I offer drinks, condolences and thanks, and I leave them to the rest of their grieving.  I do it because I grieve, and I want to be able to do something.

We will remember them.....

At the National ceremony in Ottawa, rained cats dogs shepp cows and horses. Plenty of people out and noticed lots of red in the audience. Great fly by by a local lad in a spitfire with a salute. Baguetteville got scrubbed or the cloud cover was just to low to see hear them. Of note the 30 Field Art (Bytown Gunners) didn't seem to let off 21 maybe due to the weather. Met up with a RCE being ROTO'd to the Ghan, she had been to Bosnia we shared our medal stories. I wished here a safe tour

I had to leave early but the itinerary was as follows.

Junior Rank's Mess. Then to NAVCAN all ranks. Then to the Legion. Then to the Glenn for supper...Then who knows  ;)

alfie said:
At the National ceremony in Ottawa, rained cats dogs sheep cows and horses. Plenty of people out and noticed lots of red in the audience. Great fly by by a local lad in a spitfire with a salute. Baguetteville got scrubbed or the cloud cover was just to low to see hear them. Of note the 30 Field Art (Bytown Gunners) didn't seem to let off 21 maybe due to the weather. Met up with a RCE being ROTO'd to the Ghan, she had been to Bosnia we shared our medal stories. I wished here a safe tour

Not sure how weather would affect the blank rounds...More than likely something more along the lines of miss fire or a GPO or TSM miscounting....Not like a misscount as that's 30Th Fd's Bread and Butter....

21-gun salute, or minute gun?

We used to fire a "minute gun" - single round, then another to end the 2-minutes of silence. In t hose days (maybe still) a misfire with a blank round meant a 30-minute wait. If there was only one gun tasked, and a misfire occurs, then you're SOL...

muskrat89 said:
21-gun salute, or minute gun?

We used to fire a "minute gun" - single round, then another to end the 2-minutes of silence. In t hose days (maybe still) a misfire with a blank round meant a 30-minute wait. If there was only one gun tasked, and a misfire occurs, then you're SOL...

Still is a 30 min wait with blank pull the lanyard then visually/physical check that a) not in make safe b) breech is fully closed, pull again then wait 30 min...I don't see it being a minute gun as we (20th Fd) perform a 21 gun (24 when the TSM isn't paying attention to rounds fired but rather round left by the gun box (each gun had a spared round that year) and fires them all)  at the Leg in Edm...But maybe it depends upon what the Customer (Leg/Parliament) ask for??...............

alfie said:
Of note the 30 Field Art (Bytown Gunners) didn't seem to let off 21 maybe due to the weather.

Don't know about that one. I was at Beechwood, and they fired off the minute round as mentioned by muskrat. At least I think that's what it was.

Anyway, for folks in the Ottawa area, I just want to say that downtown may be national, but Beechwood is also a wonderful ceremony to attend. Very nice with the National Military Cemetery there.

Forgive the long winded reply, not quite as eloquent with words as some on the board.

Told my wife I wanted to go the ceremony at the Grande Parade in Halifax last night.  When we were talking, I mentioned that I did not know weather we should go to Truro, Lower Sackville, or the Halifax ceremony, we decided on the Halifax one. Went down, very large crowd. As the ceremony moved on, a young RCR private walked by us. I caught his eye, looked at him and nodded; he moved on and was chatting to a couple of navy types. As the ceremony was drawing to a close, my wife and I moved on to watch the procession as it prepared to move off the square. Our path took us close behind this small gathering, I took a moment in passing to pat him on the back, and tell him “Stay safe, keep your head up, and come home.” We watched the vets march off and the remainder of the parade as well, my wife asked what I had said to him, I told her, and she was concerned to hear that he was heading over.

Parade ends, we start to leave back the way we came, again past the young lad, he catches my eye and approaches, thanking me, telling me how much it means to hear my words. I tell him I understand what it is he is getting ready for, and filled him in on my history.  “Patricia eh?? You can be damn proud of what they have been up to.” We chatted about the recent action, and upcoming deployment, and a little more. Choked me up. Tears welled in my eyes as we chatted, knowing this young lad was on his way. He is a Newfie as is my wife, and they chat a bit about home. We parted after another handshake, and we left the square, My wife asked a few questions, regarding how I knew who he was and where he was headed, how she had never seen me like that. She wanted to sit for a bit and we did, another Royal walked by with what could have been his parents, we moved on, and ended up passing this corporal, again, pat on the back stay safe… “Thank you very much,” was his reply, solid eye contact and we exchange a knowing nod of the head. 

We are in the car on the way home and she is saying how proud she is that I took the time to talk to these young men, and asking more questions.
I suggest that we stop by the legion, she’s never been. She agrees, and off we go, a little detour and we are at the Fairview branch, the last time I was here I was in little league, too many moons ago, a good 25-30 years. Up the stairs we go, we go to sign in, “Not a legion member, but does my VAC card count?” “Not to worry, today is an open house.”. We head into the hall, and are greeted at the door by a legionnaire, “Here you go folks, first one is on us!” A ticket is thrust into our hands, not what I expected. We move in, very clearly the youngest around.

“Well, lets have a drink and see how things go,” I suggest to my wife. We move into the tiny hall, and grab a seat looking around sipping our beer. I see a vet across the room, and figure, what he hell, he’s got wings, I have wings, I’ll buy him one. I go ask him if he minds my red wings buying his white wings a beer. Turns out, he’s a Patricia too. Cool, I go get the beers, we chat a bit and start to move back to my wife. He stops me, “You see that guy there? He was a jump master and an instructor at jump school.” Over I go to the bar, grab a couple beers, and drop one off to my long lost brother, and then turn to his friend at the next table, and deposit the second there. A little chat and many thanks later, back to my wife.  The first vet stops me and says I had better watch my wallet in this place, and we laugh about it. Back with my wife, I am pointing out vets throughout the room, talking about their history, she is interested about how I can tell.

About an hour later, who walks in, the young lad from the parade square, I move to the bar and get a beer for him and his mate, I look at the nametags, “Don’t tell me your brothers!”

We chat a bit, I point out where my wife is and he is off like a rocket. Shaking hands all around the table, and chatting with my wife. His brother mentions the chat I had with him at the square and how much it meant to him. I am touched. I move back to the table and he is off to have a few with his brother and the rest of his friends who are just arriving. Another vet sits at the table beside us, I see the wings, well, you came this far, you might as well buy all the jumpers a beer, and off I go. Another beer, another thank you and handshake.

A little while later, up for another beer, I turn around, bang, another set of wings, I look lower, PPCLI in he middle of his tunic, “What are you drinking?” “Don’t be so foolish,” a wry smile crosses his lips. “3rd battalion” I state as I offer my hand, he takes my hand “2nd battalion. A comrade, so you have my back today if we get in the s#&*” We chat and joke a bit, at the bar, as we do I look down again, KOREA, Presidential Unit Citation, thinking, this guy was at Kapyong. As we part ways, I mention the young royal getting ready to head out, “Where is he?” I point him out, and we say our goodbyes. 

Some time later, I see the royal again, he approaches, “That’s a hard bastard there,” he says as he points out the Kapyong vet, told me to keep my head up and come back in one piece, “That’s an order!” The afternoon progresses, a couple my wife knows is there for a beer, I shoot out for a minute to get cigs, and while I am gone, I drop by Timmies and get some gift certificates. Get back to the Legion, and my wife and I go out for a smoke, all the navy boys are there, I ask if they are friends of the young royal, they respond affirmative, and enquire if I was the guy at the parade square, yes I was, “Man, that means so much that you would take the time ….etc.” We look up and there’s the troop in question. I give the gift certificates to my wife, “What’s this” I explain, tell him they are only redeemable in Kanduhar, explaining the Timmies trailer. She smiles with a little tear. She moves to him and gives him the certificates, he opens the envelope, and you would swear we gave him a pony. “Yes, this is golden!!” His mates ask what he explains, they laugh smile and have a drink.

Back inside, the first vet is on his way up to the bar, I figure I will con him, lose and buy him another beer. I pull out my wallet; turn it over so you can see where my butt has embossed my coin into my wallet. “You know what that is, and you can see I don’t just carry it around on special occasions.” He smiles and starts to laugh, “Son of a bitch, mine’s at home in my shadow box,! What are ya drinking?!!”  “You are kidding me, I came up here intending to lose so I would buy you another”, he laughed and smiled and bought me one, I got him one back later, (never leave even or one behind a vet.)

I look up and see a new Royal enter, this one a corporal, ISAF medal, buy him a Rye ginger, he’s 3rd battalion. We shoot the poop for a bit, I point out the other royal, and return to my seat. A while later it’s time to jet, I approach the two royals, private listening intently to corporal, discussing “things”.
I shake hands all around, heading out guys, “Trust your NCOs trust your instincts, and stay safe.”

All in all a great day, some touching moments.

That's a great story, Frankie.  Thanks for sharing.

I'm fairly new to my town here, so I went to the service and wreath-laying at the cenotaph.  They had a nice ceremony, and the local flying club even did a fly-past with their Cessnas.  I intended to go into the Legion afterwards, but I chickened out.  I guess being new, I didn't know anyone, and I guess I didn't think I deserved to be there.  The most I did was get my QL4 and become a corporal. 

For the first time in 22 years I did not attend the local parade.
I worked the night shift as one of the CCNOs at the Role 3 MMU at KAF and had to go back for another shift last night.

I am still beating my self up for ruining my stretch of attendance but that attendance would have rendered me less than prepared for the next night. Mission first is the way it has to be, always!

GF

Great story Frankie!

Well I missed the Rememberance Day ceremony today for the first time in a long time (the joys of being a railroader  ::)).  I brought a train to Mackenzie this morning, my taxi back home was late because the driver was at the ceremony (good on him).  I went to see a movie with my brother, and afterward at about 9:30 pm I went to the cenotaph to pay my respects.  It was really quiet and dark, the wreaths and poppies were still there from the ceremony today, lightly dusted with snow.  I took a couple of minutes of deep thought, and laid my poppy with the rest.  I wish I could've been at the ceremony, but in a way being there by myself in the dark and quiet was better, it allowed better reflection.

Planes

Spent it at HMCS Jolliet in Sept Iles Que; small town , but very well done. Weather was good; navy cadets were great on the bugle & pipes: well done (even though I'm ex-army); Well done sailors. great job!  :salute:  :cdn:

LEST WE FORGET

Yesterday was sunny and warm - not our usual weather for Nov. 11th in this neck of the woods.  In fact, it was blazers/tunics weather - no coats!!  The beautiful weather brought out the people and old vets like never before.  Four cadets performed the vigil at the cenotaph.  Everyone who was going to parade gathered at the armoury and moved off from there.  Marched up to the cenotaph which is in the center of town.  There were colour parties f rom the local Legion and our ANAVETS unit, the RCMP, Customs, etc.  We were joined by  troops of brownies, guides, scouts.  We had three WWII veterans in wheelchairs pushed by cadets.  There were many people gathered around to watch the service of remembrance and who clapped every time we marched by.  Very emotional.  The local militia battery provided the minute gun.  A local high school lad was the piper (and did a superb job).  The high school band was on hand as well.  After the service and march past, we were dismissed back at the armoury.  Some of us stopped by the Baptist Church to thank them (they provided real-time video of the service and coffee/muffins afterwards.  Then we went up to the Mess where we met old friends and comrades (and hoisted a few beverages).  I must be getting old when young people I knew when they first joined and now retiring from the regular force!  Then it was off to the KC Hall where my organization was having a social hour and banquet.  We had a large turn-out with local politicians and our members, families and friends and our very special guests - about 10 young soldiers from the local reserves unit.  Afterwards, we had some friends and family drop by the house for a visit.  It was a great day, even more emotional this year because of our losses and people we know coming and going to Afghanistan.  Our community has really responded positively to our troops and the schools are doing a wonderful job of teaching the kids about Remembrance Day and all that it means.  To those who have served and to those who still serve...... :salute:

RangerRay said:
I intended to go into the Legion afterwards, but I chickened out.  I guess being new, I didn't know anyone, and I guess I didn't think I deserved to be there. 

The day is not about you deserving, it's about them deserving .......all our respects. Next year drop on in, shake some hands, buy a few beer's say thanks and listen. You never know, friendships occur at the drop of a hat. I think we just addopted a Royal.  :-X

I_Drive_Planes said:
Well I missed the Rememberance Day ceremony today for the first time in a long time (the joys of being a railroader  ::)).  I brought a train to Mackenzie this morning, my taxi back home was late because the driver was at the ceremony (good on him).  I went to see a movie with my brother, and afterward at about 9:30 pm I went to the cenotaph to pay my respects.  It was really quiet and dark, the wreaths and poppies were still there from the ceremony today, lightly dusted with snow.  I took a couple of minutes of deep thought, and laid my poppy with the rest.  I wish I could've been at the ceremony, but in a way being there by myself in the dark and quiet was better, it allowed better reflection.

He also mourns, who mourns alone.  It's the action, not how many other people happen to be around, that count.

I was part of the Governor Generals Foot Guards, 50 man Honour Guard.  Unfortunately it was the worst tasking that I had ever done.  I had done Ceremonial Guard this summer and throughout it was fine, despite the heat and prolonged periods of staying still.  Being November, I would not have to worry about the heat, so I thought I would be fine.  Was I ever wrong.  1st off the Bearskin (our large fury black hats) that I was given was way to small for my head, cutting into my forehead considerably, causing quite a migraine.  (Think of it as some one wrapping a belt around your forehead and squeezing it with all there strength - that was the feeling).  The urge to pass out hit me hard 4 or 5 times, each time I refused. As well as this, unknown to me, I had gotten the flu as well that morning and it reared its ugly head when we were about to march of from the cenotaph.  I ended up puking , in my mouth 4 times, while marching passed the crowds (which they of course never saw or suspected).  Once back at Cartier Square Drill Hall, I attempted to drink some fluids to calm my stomach, that came up as well.  As I was not in the condition to go out to the Legion or spend time around my colleagues, I drove myself home.  I tried to slowly drink a bottle of water that I had in the car, that too came up on me while I was driving home. 

What was supposed to be a day I dedicated to the Vets, was a day I concentrated on maintaining my own faculties. I'm not proud of it, but I needed to maintain some semblance of dignity and professionalism in front of them.  For what they went through, I had better have.

I did not pass out and go down, I did not vomit anywhere in view of the public and I will not let what happened discourage me from being part of the 50 man Honour Guard next year and spending time with the Vets who went through far worse for far longer than what I just told you.

Watched the salute by my old unit, went down to the mess talked with old buddies and listened to some of the newer guys moving up the ranks. Sad to see so few that I know, but good to see the kind of guys that are taking their place.

I spent my Remembrance Day on Duty. Unfortunately my plans of attending a parade with my wife and son never materialised. It would have been my son's first. This my third year in a row to miss a parade. Last year I was bringing my wife and 4 day old son home from the hospital,the year before that I was working on course. Hopefully next year will work out!

I stayed home this year and watched the ceremonies in Ottawa because my son was there with his battalion. A very moving ceremony as usual and after I had to work but it was a very good day because I work at the Legion and got to spend time with many Veterans young and old.

We call it Veterans' Day!

I marched in the annual Veteran's Day Parade in Auburn, WA USA with my Chapter (XVI (16) of the Special Forces Association on Main St. The weather was sunny and lots of people on the street turned out for the parade. Lot's of "Thank yous for your service!' Always nice to hear!

After the parade most of us went up to our 'team house,' and had a few draft beers and pizza and shared some camaraderie.

All in all a VERY nice day!

There is a picture of the group else where here.  :salute:

Back