• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

How to lose weight in a healthy way (merged)

Run every day but do not eat more.
And even if you stay a little bit fatty, you will become stronger and will get more endurance. It may be normal for you to be a bit fatty, its because of your metabolism. I eat like a pig for all last summer and I remained very skinny.
                                                                                                                                Clément

Oh, and find a running partner who's a strong runner

It also helps if she's an attractve female. No honestly! The last thing you want to do is A)Be emasculated and fall behind B)Look whimpy and stop.
Same for fitness trainers, what more motivation could you ask for on top of the forces.

Yes I know it's horrible of me to say but it's the unspoken truth.

Referring to body types: Back when I was 18, I was pretty much a straight line up and down if you looked at me side on. I had ripped abs (always have) and strong lats, and my shoulders are extremely well defined. I slipped a disc very slightly at a Tae Kwon Do tournament tho, and that precluded me from exercise for the better part of two years while waiting for a full bill of health from the doc. As soon as I got it, I started my jogging again, but by then I was ~260 lbs, and my endurance really suffered hard, so I lost motivation and didn't exercise again until ~22 1/2 years old (I'm just recently 24).

So, I know that I can have the body of a greek god, and I can tab like anything (I usually hike trails with buddies carrying most if not all the heavy stuff and don't usually get tired, and that's like 25 km a day). SO I guess I'm a rucker and not a runner, eh?  :crybaby: Ah well, gotta get on that running  :salute:

There are actually many references to loosing weight in these threads, though I know the search option can be hit or miss at times. Look in the Training forum. Paracowboy usually has good advice. My advice would be to run more. Run at least 45 minutes 4 times a week. While weight training can boost your metabolism (which helps with weight loss), the best way to loose is through cardio activities. Get your heart rate up and keep it there for a while. Also, you say you are eating healthier, but maybe look into portion sizes. It's hard to know what the right size portion is these days, as even the most reserved restaurant portion is double what it should be. That being said, you want to make sure you're getting enough calories for you fitness routine. A book from the library (as opposed to the more expensive option of a nutritionist) could help.
Good luck.

Cheers.

Alright here's my ever so controversial weight loss plan. I'm not a nutritionist, but it worked for me. After reading a great little book called "The no-grain Diet" by Dr. Mercola, and following his diet, I lost a lot of weight. Basically it's a low carb diet. I didn't eat any grains at all, including rice. No starchy vegtables like potatoes and corn, and absolutely no sugars including fruit and juice. I know this sounds like torture, but you get used to it, you  lose weight and you feel really good (no more sugar lows). The idea behind it is that your insulin levels are screwed up and therefore effect your metabolism, so you have to get your insulin levels under control by not eating grains and sugars. I know a lot of people will say that I'm mental, (actually a lot of people already have) but there it is. I've lost almost 80 pounds eating this way. Good luck. Oh, and the idea is not that you will eat this way forever, just till you reach your target weight.

"My advice:  I know university students are broke... but if you're serious about it - get a personal trainer.  If you provide a good personal trainer with a timeline, a realistic goal (yours is), and are willing to stick to a program (you sound like you are) - then you're laughing."

There has been numerous threads on the benefits AND disadvantages of personal trainers, educate yourself and take the time to plan your own routine made for you.

Hmm I have always wondered, drinking coffee and having caffeinated no-sugar products actually detrimental to your diet? Does it actually spike insulin levels inhibiting weight loss? Always heard conflicting things...

I have gone from 310 to 240, it has been a long haul and it is no where near finished.  What helped me, first off portion control, then eating 5 small meals a day, no pop, whole grains only.  I set a goal for my self, in my case doing a Olympic and 1/2 iron distance TRI( now focus is on interval and sprint type things), so that meant running, biking, swimming and weights.  My training started out with 3 runs a week, a 5k for time, a 6-9k trail run, and one long distance run, starting at 9k and building to 30k.  For the running I did the 5 and the 6-9k runs with no walking( it took time to build to that) and for the long run I did and still do a 10 min run 1 min walk thing.  I swam 3 times a week doing a 1.5k for time, a 2-4k and I had a long swim of 5-8k straight swimming.  The biking broke down to 2 trail rides for fun, and 2 road rides for specifics( ie hills, sprints, cadence etc).  The weights was basic movements with med to heavy weight.  For me on this type of training I had to eat grains( the carbs were important for the distance), but portion control is the biggest thing that changed for me. 

Enami has great advise to run at least 45 mins a day, for me I tried to do at least( very least) 60 mins of cardio a day 6 times a week.

And yes an attractive running mate helps alot, ego is such a funny thing

As was said earlier, go to the posts that paracowboy started in training.  He and all the others that have written, have great advise.  Good luck, do it smart so it stays off.

respect
FITSUMO

Losing weight may not be what you're looking for...you sound more interested in losing adipose tissue. What you need to do is forget about how much you weigh because muscle weighs more than fat...and water more than both. Make sure you're well hydrated before you run, DO NOT TAKE CAFFIENE PRODUCTS OR HIGH CARBOHYDRATE PRODUCTS...caffiene spikes your heart rate and can be very bad to your health when doing even moderate activities, carbs (ex. chocolate bars, fruitopia) spike your blood glucose levels, this raises insulin in the blood and once all of the glucose is taken into the cells there is a depletion and the effect is TIREDNESS!!! this in both your muscles and your mind. Don't forget your brain is a muscle. Death can even occur if a human overdoses on his/her limits of carbohydrate, caffiene or fat soluble nutrients (vitamin D). Be very careful when you diet and exercise, professional advice is a MUST. The worst thing you want is to die from taking too many vitamins or a cup of coffee.

Oh and to add something I forgot...
Pastas and breads contain starches which are complex carbohydrates...these are important in maintaining blood glucose and insulin levels, if they are eaten in moderation. Do not overeat these but make sure you recieve a good supply to keep you going for the day, the best thing is breakfast and only a little at lunch/dinner. Don't forget whatever is not used by your body (especially complex carbs) are stored as fat.
Make sure that if you are eating pasta and breads that you counteract the oils used for cooking/buttering (don't want to clog your arteries) the best way to do this is to use vegetable based oils. Consuming others may include different fats (hydroxyginated, saturated, unsaturated, etc.)

1) you don't need to lose "weight". Weight means nothing.
2) eat less
3) exercise more

It's not as complicated as everyone is trying to make it sound. Run farther, faster. Lift more weight, more often. Do more calisthenics. Eat less food, and ensure it's healthy food.

Well, seeing as specifics is what this thread needs, I will post my exercise routine, and you can all pick it apart :p

My goal is to raise my upper body strength (I can still only do 1-2 unassisted chin ups) and lose the flab on my body (reduce my body fat percentage).

I should also note that I take absolutely NO supplements or extra-meal vitamins (ie vitamin pills)

My breakfasts are usually high fiber with a glass or two of orange juice. I have a snack of a bran muffin (baked fresh every week by mum! :D) at around 11 am. Have something at ~2 pm, then have a supper usually ~5-6 pm which usually includes a meat (beef or chicken mostly, and both lean), veggies and two to three glasses of water (a glass will be considered ~250 mL)

Excercise:

Monday: Lower body day. 20 minutes full body stretching, upper and lower body. Leg press machine, leg curls, squats, etc. Process is 10 reps at manageable weight, then add weight, 8 reps, add weight, 6 reps, add weight, reps to exhaustion (usually 4-5). Break for 5 with stretching and hydration. Also, hydrate between each excercise machine. After this, up to track for 2 laps walking, one lap fast walk, then 30 minutes jogging with my little manboobs and not so little stomach bouncing around like a happy bellydancer. AFter 30 minutes, 2 laps walk, then to stretch mats for stretching and massive hydration (usually 500-750 mL). Back down to main weight room for any toning work I feel like, then mats for stretching, then steam room to make muscles happy  ;D

Tuesday and Thursday: pure cardio day. Stretch, then stationary bikes for 30 minutes intervalled cardio. From there, upstairs for jog as per monday, then stretching, then showers

Wednesday: Upper body day and military sets. Stretching, bench presses, free weights butterfly, overhead press, bicep and tricep curls, etc. Military set as described a few posts above. Break. Jog. stretch. steam room.

Friday: Lots of stretching, warm up 10 minutes on low impact cardio on stationary bike or elliptical trainer. Upstairs for 2.4 km run. Back down to stretch and if needed, ab work (crunch rolls, situps, ab plank, etc) then steam room.

There's my routine. Any suggestions on how to make it work better at reducing body fat?

Try to increase your water intake to keep things moving in your blood. If you are partaking in constant activity throughout the day plus a 20 min. workout you should consume 4 bottles. If you sit on your butt for a break day 2 bottles is okay. Drink mineralized water though, demineralized can pull your minerals out of cells to balance (osmosis).

I drink, on average, 4-6 liters per day, and on some days up to 8 liters. And it's water straight from the taps (because I have my own water bottle that I keep refilling) so it has all the goodies in it :D

Sweet deal, keep it up. You should have no problem with your fitness if you exercise and eat properly. Good luck! :)

tlm said:
Pears can get fit for their body type, but there are limitations.  Pears are designed for ruckmarches, not running.  We had one monster of a 1CER on ROTO 7, just huge.  He was designed to ruckmarch and carry heavy things at a steady pace, and to pull tracked vehicles out of mud when a wrecker couldn't.  Running was breaking him - when the physiotherapist ordered him to do low-impact cardio (read: NO RUNNING) he was fine.  Some people are just not designed to run.

That is so me... but I was'nt on ROTO 7. Just remember not everyone is the same.

Well, I know that I'm a rucker... I just don't want to fail my fitness exam  :crybaby:  because I really really REALLY want to get in to the Canadian Forces  :salute:

I strongly recommend you (and anyone else interested) pick up a copy of "Body for Life" by Bill Phillips.

I spent most of last year on two major staff courses... Army Ops and Artillery Ops.... needless to say, like some goldfish, my body grew to the size of the environment, in my case the wide-beth staff officer's chair.

Upon returning to Shilo after Artillery Ops, a fellow officer offered me his copy of Body for Life.  In six weeks I went from 205 to 180.  

The trick is, there is no trick.  Phillips preaches that diets don't work... they have a 100% failure rate.  A dedicated lifestyle change is what is required.

The key tenets of his program are as follows:

Eat six small meals a day, not three large ones.  Ensure each meal has one serving of carbs and one serving of protein, and two of those meals should include fruit/vegetable.

Exercise six times a week, alternating three resistance and three cardio workouts.  The cardio workouts are short... no more than 20 mins... but intense.  Take caution here as 90% of PT classes in the military are "runs". I personally inserted one or two long-distance runs per week, alternating each week.

Finally, here's the best part, at least once a week, have an off day where you do no exercise at all and eat anything you want.... if you want to eat McD's five times that day... then do so.  The reason all diets fail is because we try to immediately cut out tasty servings that our body has grown to love over a large number of years.  Once you see the outstanding results of your lifestyle change, eventually that day off, all you'll want is to eat the same healthy food you have all week only more of it.

My wife was previously a fitness instructor at the Gym in Shilo.  Her advice with respect to specific exercises is that the best way to get good at push ups, chin ups and sit ups is to do them.  That sounds patently obvious, but I'm struck at how many people try to improve these exercises by doing other exercises.  The only way to go from 25 pushups to 50 is to just keep doing them.

Good luck... you've got plenty of time and it sounds like you have the motivation, therefore, you have 99% of the equipment you need to make this happen! If you ever falter in motivation, watch the scene from Saving Private Ryan when the German and American are wrestling with a single bayonet and the German wins.  If that doesn't motivate you to do more push ups nothing will!

"Exercise six times a week, alternating three resistance and three cardio workouts.  The cardio workouts are short... no more than 20 mins... but intense.  Take caution here as 90% of PT classes in the military are "runs". I personally inserted one or two long-distance runs per week, alternating each week."

Your minimal running time should be 20 minutes, not the max.

Losing weight (fat) or gaining weight (muscles) is all about descipline and consistency. Go to the gym 5 days a week and cut the junk food. It's that simple but not easy to do. Goodluck.

Back