• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

How to join the Canadian Military?

• Thread starter charleslewis
  • Start date
C

charleslewis

Hi There!

I think join the Canadian Forces in the near future because Canada is one of the best country in the world. I want to served my country loyal and show my loves for this beautiful country. But I think the basic recuriting training be hard for me to survial the 10-week of physical demand on your body.

Anybody want to tell me the expernice you had during the basic recuriting training in the Canadian Forces.

Thank! :cdn:

I‘m in the middle of my course so I‘ll let you know
when I‘m done.

But portcullisguy may be able to answer this better
since he seems to be almost done his.

This weekend is my graduation parade for basic.

Overall the last 12 weekends have been very enjoyable. I have learned a lot, and noticed many changes in the way that I deal with and solve problems, and interact with people. I really enjoy having made the decision to join the Reserves, and I do not regret it at all.

It may only be the first course of many, and I may not have much "time in", but already I feel as thought I am part of a select few, an exclusive community of people who have chosen to dedicate their time, skills, efforts, and lives to making a contribution to Canada‘s armed forces. Not everyone is able, or even has the desire to make such a contribution. I am fortunate enough that I am both able and willing.

Basic hasn‘t been too hard. The first few weekends were harder, as the staff attempt to motivate civilians dressed in green, and make them act and look like soldiers. I think the course has been easier than it probably was in past years, but as someone off the street, I have kept my eyes open, listened, and tried to play the game.

I think those that are least rewarded are those that don‘t put any effort in and don‘t try.

Even the physical training hasn‘t been that harsh, as there is no standard we are supposed to achieve, except participation. However, I know that in order to pass the battle fitness test later this summer, I will have to continue progress in this area, by going for regular ruck marches, doing push-ups on my own time, and keeping generally fit.

As for your basic question... how to join... go to your local Canadian Forces Recruiting Centre, talk to them. Find people in your school, neighbourhood, community, etc. who are in or have been in. Talk to them, too. Ask them about their experiences, find out if the Canadian Forces are for you.

The first course any soldier takes these days (BMQ/BOTP) in both the Reserve and Reg Force world is much less physically gruelling than say 10 years ago. Kuro and Port here are describing their experiences in the Reserve world.

If you are worried about your physical fitness and intend to join, don‘t sit around fretting about whether or not you could "survive" your training and wait for someone here to let you know how hard it is; you should go and work work work and push push push your body so you don‘t have to worry. Joining the military for the sake of being part of it without realistic preparation would not be a good idea -- nor aiming for the minimum requirements. Try to dispel any romantic notions you might have of joining the military.

The first course is usually a familiarization of how the CF functions and the most rudimentary skills. It‘s usually the second and subsequent courses where you learn soldiering skills that it starts getting a bit more physically challenging. Due to the nature of the beast, Reserve training translates into a rather small number of actual training days. Reg Force training is a bit more intensive: it‘s a bit more in depth and there is a lot more practice time out in the field (the physical part).

So, depending on your interest: Reserve or Regular, adjust your expectations accordingly. Note that Portcullisguy said "weekends" and not "weeks". For the Regs (or summer training for Reserve) it WOULD be weeks. And it would depend on the trade too... obviously the Combat Arms trades training would be physically challenging.

Back