• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

How MSM are Preparing (or Not) for 100th Fallen

milnews.ca said:
Trust me, I honestly feel your pain on this one - I hear you, and I know you're not alone in that feeling.  All I'm saying is that CBC isn't Army News or Voice of America, and that isn't going to change easily or quickly, if at all.  That's why all I'm hoping for is more balance, in accordance to their own rules, the same way they demand accountability - I can dream, can't I?

The fact is everyone who has commented here Iincluding myself] will be anxious for the details of the unhappy news when the Afghanistan Mission fatality meter clicks 100.  You will want to know... who, what, when, where, why, how.  Our collective interest will contribute to the radio and television stations ratings, the newspaper sales.

The Assisting Officer and the Public Affairs Officer will be challenged in their work.  How to manage the event with care and due consideration for the family of the fatalities and the unwelcome aura of the 100 banner?  They will have to be forthright and tough in their relationship with media and reporters.

Regardless of any particular approach to reporting the story,  one can only hope that the potential affect on the family of the fatalities is a consideration as editors "pre-plan" their reportage.  That will be the measure of the mantra of finding balance and consideration for the human condition. 

Remember, during WWII and Korea many families were first informed that their loved one was missing or dead when the telepgraph boy arrived at their doorstep with the dreaded telegram "We regret to inform you ...."  and the family (widow) was left to grieve in silence. 

gwp said:
Regardless of any particular approach to reporting the story,  one can only hope that the potential affect on the family of the fatalities is a consideration as editors "pre-plan" their reportage.  That will be the measure of the mantra of finding balance and consideration for the human condition. 

Here here!  I've heard of one family, who had some photos taken pre-deployment, ask that those particular photos not be used if anything happened to the deployee.  Like funeral arrangements, uncomfortable and difficult to talk about, but saves a lot of anguish and second-guessing if ever needed.

The "milestone" has come, and nearly passed.
How did the media do?

The CF prepared as well.
"The loss of every Canadian Forces member is significant and we mourn the same for all of them."

The most recent is as tragic as the first, and all the others in between.

I agree with those who've already said it's good, in a way, that no single soldier can be identified as the 100th.  While MSM is focussing on the number, I think there would have been an IMMENSE (and possibly intrusive) press to cover a single family with any specific CF member being #100.

Maybe so, Tony, but I think their attention was grabbed by the political fracas. To suggest that the Canadian media might not have made this into a circus is to suggest that individual members are not highly competitive and ambitious in their pursuit of a story.

Good point OS - although the print Globe & Mail coverage of the latest and past fallen was pretty extensive on Saturday, it IS a far different level of "background news" MSM is working in than usual.

Back