• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

How Important is Cadets for RMC Application?

Phantomman

Guest
Reaction score
0
Points
0
I am thinking about going to RMC for university and I am taking it pretty seriously.

I currently have a pretty good average, and I am in the Gifted Program.

Here are my marks:

89% English
98% Math
90% Science
87% French
92% Personal Fitness
90% History
82% Computers
91% Latin

Summer School:

85% Civics
87% Careers

Here are some of my sports:

Rugby ( School & Club )
Football ( School )
Wrestling ( School )
Tennis ( Club )
Swimming ( freshly certified lifeguard )

I have done 50 hours community service, and I have a part-time job.

The problem is I am not in cadets...and I don't have time to be...

How important is cadets for a competitive application?

Will the lack of it diminish my application?

If anyone could help me out with this, I would greatly appreciate it.
 

Clancey01

New Member
Reaction score
0
Points
0
My advice: Read the other topics on the board. Loads of people have asked the same question.

I take that back. Just look at your credentials and ask yourself "How many other dudes out there have all this?" Don't fret about cadets in your case it's a non issue.
 

Phantomman

Guest
Reaction score
0
Points
0
I am really into strategic studies, I have read:

Art of War ( memorized )
The Book of Five Rings ( almost memorized )
The Prince
The Starfish and the Spider
Dutta's Strategy and Games
Masters of War: Classical Strategic Thought
The Making of Strategy: Rulers, States and War
Strategies of Containment: A Critical Appraisal of American National Security Policy during the Cold War
Strategy: The Indirect Approach
Clausewitz: A Very Short Introduction
Political Philosophy: A Very Short Introduction
International Relations: A Very Short Introduction
Makers of Modern Strategy: From Machiavelli to the Nuclear Age
Swords and Ploughshares: Bringing Peace to the 21st Century
Utility of Force: The Art of War in the Modern World
War Made New: Weapons, Warriors and the Making of the Modern World
Another Bloody Century: Future Warfare
Field Marshal Lord Alanbrooke - War Diaries 1939-1945
Masters and Commanders: The Military Geniuses who led the West to Victory in World War II
Sixty Greatest Battles in History

( No need to type more, you get the picture )

I read a lot of publications of strategic studies and I am self taught in Game Theory.
 

Michael OLeary

Army.ca Fixture
Subscriber
Donor
Reaction score
2
Points
410
Phantomman said:
The problem is I am not in cadets...and I don't have time to be...

How important is cadets for a competitive application?

Will the lack of it diminish my application?

It will not diminish your application. As noted, there's lots to read in the forums about others' preparations for RMC applications. Since you enjoy reading and absorbing information, you'll probably get many questions answered even before you start to formulate them.
 

Phantomman

Guest
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Sapper01 said:
My advice: Read the other topics on the board. Loads of people have asked the same question.

I take that back. Just look at your credentials and ask yourself "How many other dudes out there have all this?" Don't fret about cadets in your case it's a non issue.

The problem is I am clueless on how many people apply and the competitiveness :(

Before I registered, I read a lot of topics here, and everyone seemed to be in cadets except for me.

Thanks for your advice
 

Phantomman

Guest
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Michael O'Leary said:
It will not diminish your application. As noted, there's lots to read in the forums about others' preparations for RMC applications. Since you enjoy reading and absorbing information, you'll probably get many questions answered even before you start to formulate them.

Thank you for your input.

I will definitely find the time to read other's applications.
 

Ayrsayle

Full Member
Mentor
Reaction score
1
Points
0
While not RMC, I got in Via DEO route with absolutely no Cadet experience whatsoever. It never came up, really.  They take people on merit!
 

pudd13

Member
Reaction score
0
Points
0
I have heard that about a third of the people at RMC have cadet experience. I also talked to the Cadet unit in my town, and they said only about 10% of their cadets actually carry on with careers in the CF (and not specifically ROTP either). But then again, these are just numbers. This is purely hearsay, but you can find everything you need to know elsewhere in these forums. Or at least you will be able to figure what you can't find, like the number of people who apply in a year, and the competitiveness. Just assume you have to bust your ass no matter what.
 

canada94

Full Member
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Phantomman said:
I am thinking about going to RMC for university and I am taking it pretty seriously.

I currently have a pretty good average, and I am in the Gifted Program.

Here are my marks:

89% English
98% Math
90% Science
87% French
92% Personal Fitness
90% History
82% Computers
91% Latin

Summer School:

85% Civics
87% Careers

Here are some of my sports:

Rugby ( School & Club )
Football ( School )
Wrestling ( School )
Tennis ( Club )
Swimming ( freshly certified lifeguard )

I have done 50 hours community service, and I have a part-time job.

The problem is I am not in cadets...and I don't have time to be...

How important is cadets for a competitive application?

Will the lack of it diminish my application?

If anyone could help me out with this, I would greatly appreciate it.

From what people tell me about the application process, you should be a good applicant. Your smart, athletic and good character (work and community service etc..).

I was never in cadets myself, but still plan on applying for ROTP this coming September. I can't see cadets hurting your application then again I don't

see it as essential.  How old are you? As when you put "science" and "math", they seem to be generic, are you a senior?

Good Luck!

- Mike
 

Azeem

New Member
Reaction score
0
Points
0
I have been accepted for ROTP with no cadet experience. Just be the best applicant you can be.
 

Maverick94

Jr. Member
Reaction score
0
Points
0
No worries dude. Cadets is not even close to being a deal breaker. Continue with your extracurricular's and continue to get good marks.
 

Nauticus

Full Member
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Of course being in the cadets would be beneficial, the CF website does not list it as a requirement to apply for ROTP. With that said, it's very realistic that your application may "make up for it" in other ways, for example volunteer and work experience, high school grades, and athletics.
 

canada94

Full Member
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Azeem said:
I have been accepted for ROTP with no cadet experience. Just be the best applicant you can be.

I think this is the perfect response, be the best you can be. You can't change that you have not committed to cadets so I wouldn't let it bug you.

- Mike
 

Phantomman

Guest
Reaction score
0
Points
0
pudd13 said:
I have heard that about a third of the people at RMC have cadet experience. I also talked to the Cadet unit in my town, and they said only about 10% of their cadets actually carry on with careers in the CF (and not specifically ROTP either). But then again, these are just numbers. This is purely hearsay, but you can find everything you need to know elsewhere in these forums. Or at least you will be able to figure what you can't find, like the number of people who apply in a year, and the competitiveness. Just assume you have to bust your *** no matter what.

That means I have to compete for the 2/3 in the future.  :)
 

Phantomman

Guest
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Azeem said:
I have been accepted for ROTP with no cadet experience. Just be the best applicant you can be.

Thanks :) Good to know I have a chance. Reminds me of "Be All You Can Be" - US Army
 

Phantomman

Guest
Reaction score
0
Points
0
canada94 said:
From what people tell me about the application process, you should be a good applicant. Your smart, athletic and good character (work and community service etc..).

I was never in cadets myself, but still plan on applying for ROTP this coming September. I can't see cadets hurting your application then again I don't

see it as essential.  How old are you? As when you put "science" and "math", they seem to be generic, are you a senior?

Good Luck!

- Mike

Going into Grade 11 :) Two years your junior I assume. I got two more years to make my application more competitive
 

canada94

Full Member
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Phantomman said:
Going into Grade 11 :) Two years your junior I assume. I got two more years to make my application more competitive

Yes you have a good amount of time to create a very competitive application!

- Mike
 
Top