• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

How are RCMP rookies received?

2ndChoiceName

Inactive
Reaction score
I am considering a career with the RCMP, and from my research I can see that if was to go that route, I would likely spend my first 3 years out of the Depot in some sort of rural community. I was just wondering how they are often received in those areas. I can see them not being treated with respect or taken seriously but I can also see them being welcomed. Obviously it depends on the community but generally, how are new officers received in rural or outlying communities?

If you still wanted to join the reserves you will not be able to be in the RCMP at the same time. And to answer your question, id imagine it would be the same as everywhere else in that regard, some will respect you and others not.

You will spend your whole career in a rural community. If that sounds like bad times- go somewhere else. The force is filled with people that thought they d get to go somewhere nice and wear a suit and tie and are bitter because 99 percent of the work the RCMP does is in the boondocks.

Ive got 9 posts under my belt and im treated like a rookie whenever I change places by the community. They dont know your background and it doesnt really matter to them- they just want you to do your job.If you do your job by the book- youve got to be new. If you dont care who the person is you pulled over youve got to be new. If your boots are polished youve got to be new. If you dont let people get away with stuff like Cst. Bloggins- its because youre new. Any time someone doesnt like what youre doing- its because youre a rookie. No matter how much service you have. Its really the goto move for folks that want to try and insult you. After a while its water off a ducks back.

That said the vast majority of issues that comes from moving to a new community is because of the new RCMP member. Not because of the community.

The new guy shows up and talks himself into being "that guy" and then cant escape it until he gets to the next community. The robocop- hair gel, too cool, sunglasses all the time, big talker that everyone tries to avoid.

Generally speaking communities are welcoming to new police officers. The good will can be squandered however.

C.G.R said:
If you still wanted to join the reserves you will not be able to be in the RCMP at the same time.

Yeah.....thats not true.

I'm considering the RCMP several years down the road, so the reserve stuff isn't an issue anyways.

You will spend your whole career in a rural community. If that sounds like bad times- go somewhere else.

Believe it or not, that's one of the things that appeals to me most about the RCMP. I think it's a great opportunity to see different parts of Canada and I think I would really enjoy policing a small community, learning who's who, etc. Sure, becoming a detective would be cool, but I realize the chances of that happening are not that high.

Its actually not difficult to be a "detective" in the RCMP (although we dont have detectives). Most folks now adays will roll through a specialty of some type for at least a few years of their career. But like the military and component transfers and occupational transfers- if you cant see doing what you join to do for a long time- dont join. Lots of those investigator positions are also in these small communities in rural places.

But its less glamorous then youd think. Its just paper work. Then they find other guys to kick the doors so they can go in and look around....and then do more paperwork. But some people love it. The courses are good- you get to see lots of interesting things.

But there are lots of reservists in the RCMP. The rules changed a few years back.

My mistake, i just looked it up and the QR & O I referenced was a bit out dates (1998)

Cool, I'm getting lots of info I didn't expect to, but I appreciate all of it! Are RCMP officers usually sent to places in pairs or alone? And do they ride alone or in partners now? I've heard that some police agencies stopped putting two officers in each cruiser.

But its less glamorous then youd think.

I'm quickly finding out a lot of the jobs I've wanted to do since I was little are less glamorous than I would think.

2ndChoiceName said:
Cool, I'm getting lots of info I didn't expect to, but I appreciate all of it! Are RCMP officers usually sent to places in pairs or alone? And do they ride alone or in partners now? I've heard that some police agencies stopped putting two officers in each cruiser.

I'm quickly finding out a lot of the jobs I've wanted to do since I was little are less glamorous than I would think.

This is a more difficult question to answer. There is a back up policy in place....theoretically you should have backup. I currently am the only police officer on shift for 12 communities several hours across. So while if a violent call came in I would call for backup...they would be hours away, and hour at the absolute best, and I would be expected to act before they arrrived to preserve life. But- im not expected to act in a no win situation because then we just increase the casualties....its alot more cut and dry in municipal policing.

I have been posted places where I have been the only police officer for hours by airplane with no backup responding to calls. Ive been places where the three guys in town are it. Ive been in towns where they have lots of backup. And Ive been places where I am now where while Im supposed to have back up....it isnt available. I do the overwhelming vast majority of my police work alone by virtue of where I am posted. My wife is a member as well- she has been fortunate to be posted to a place where they have backup. She didnt get it because she was a lady or small- its just how the dice tumble. Another member I share duties with is a petite lady- she polices the vast expanse like I do. Same times of day, same risk, same access to backup.

Generally though RCMP members dont have "two man" cars. But there is no rule saying the guys on shift cant ride together- and we do that lots. Its nice just for the company sometimes.

Yikes, that sounds nothing like what I was thinking of. After you've done your three years in one spot, can you stay there if you wish or do you have to be moved?

Container- I'm curious about the opportunities for courses and training. I've been told I'm off to Depot in a few more months (just awaiting a course loading- I have a half hour phone appointment tomorrow to figure that out), and I'm curious what sort of opportunities there will be for development in a first posting. My understanding is that in the really small detachments it's hard because it's more challenging to spare a guy from shifts; presuming I could end up somewhere where this is more of an option, what sorts of things might I get sent to train up on?

2ndChoiceName said:
Yikes, that sounds nothing like what I was thinking of. After you've done your three years in one spot, can you stay there if you wish or do you have to be moved?

Yes, however your employer has the ultimate say. One roto you could be posted to Cochrane Alberta, then the next you could be in Burnaby BC, and then the next roto end up back in Flin Flon MB.

That sounds hectic! I'd better do some real hard thinking about whether this is something I really want to do. Lucky me I'm not thinking of doing it any time soon and I still have time. Thanks everyone for your information.

Brihard said:
Container- I'm curious about the opportunities for courses and training. I've been told I'm off to Depot in a few more months (just awaiting a course loading- I have a half hour phone appointment tomorrow to figure that out), and I'm curious what sort of opportunities there will be for development in a first posting. My understanding is that in the really small detachments it's hard because it's more challenging to spare a guy from shifts; presuming I could end up somewhere where this is more of an option, what sorts of things might I get sent to train up on?

Your first year out of depot is kindve plotted out for you already. 6 months completing your requirements for field training. But after that somethings open up. Some courses will present themselves and others based off your reputation will open up.

You can anticipate, if you dont wind up doing a series of isolateds like I did, going on an Investigative Interviewing course, the conducted energy weapon user course, field coaching, Inland Water Transport if your detachment has a boat, same with quads and sleds. Then as you move along after two years or so search warrant courses and mentorship programs within the Units open up (major crime, serious crime etc). You can take the property crime examiners course and work with the Forensics folks on certain things. Child interview, sex assault investigations. And if you get into the General Investigations Section that a lot of small rural detachments are opening up a new stream of courses opens up.

The two year mark, but usually three, is when the Gucci side stuff like ERT, Tac troop, and things like it open up. Containment marksman, Forensic Ident, intelligence analysis. But you can be the ideal candidate and if your Det Com doesnt want to support you your SOL.

We have the "A-250" program that pays tuition upon successful completion of post secondary- while I was in my first Isolated I did the Dalhousie Police Leadership certificate on the forces dime. Same with Criminal Intelligence Analysis through the Canadian Police College- paid for and done through distance. So even when you are isolated things are available.

We have varying levels of instructors as well. Its not unheard of for a 2 year guy to become a firearms instructor, or a use of force/arrest and control instructor. Then once you do a new stream of courses opens up in each of those streams. Those types of streams are alot based on your reputation. They dont just offer slots to the detachment- so if your interested you need to prove yourself and you cant do that in your first year. But they are there and they are always recruiting.

The courses are never ending really. But if your detachment is short you wont hear about them. The training budgets were also slashed this year so it might be lean for a while.

*EDIT* I should add- youll be surprised at the things you can get into because youre a police officer. Lots of stuff like Arson investigation or Conservation related courses will let you attend and receive their courses as well. Keep yourself networked.

I ve trained and been retained to consult on numerous provincial, municipal, and federal agencies, and received courses from numerous ones in return in a variety of subjects. All based on getting to the trainer stream after about 3 years.

Shoot me a PM when you finish if you wind up in the prairie region and I can help you out.

2ndChoiceName said:

depends. In isolated posts they want you to move- for a bunch of reasons. But then its not written in stone because some guys have extended.

After a certain amount of time youll have a staffing interview where you say where you think your career is headed and then they'll say where they'd like to see you go. You have some input but the force ultimately has the say. Whats true right now likely wont be in a year as the whole staffing system is being civilianized so we arent sure what the system will look like after that.

What were you thinking of? Im curious- maybe what youve thought isnt off point. It really depends on where you are- but you sign the line saying you'll go anywhere.

Excellent, thanks for the insight. I'm looking forward to diving into it, wherever I should end up.

Postings are all based on the needs of the Force AT THE TIME! One week a Division can be closed for cadets and then the next week they may take a wack of cadets from the very next Troop. This happened when I was about to graduate, K Div (Alberta) was closed and the Troop right after me sent 5 cadets. Remember when you graduate you sign on the line that you will serve ANYWHERE in Canada.

Fully 1/3 of the Force is in BC, of that 1/2 are located in the LMD....there is a very good chance that you could be posted to a large centre in the LMD. If you were to be posted to the LMD you could spend your entire career there and not have to move houses....this is an anomaly within the Force.

I would suggest that you go on Bluelineforum.ca and ask any RCMP related questions on the Law Enforcement Applicants page.....it's a LEO version of Army.ca.

As far as serving in the PRes and being in the RCMP, you most certainly can....I am one of the guys that lobbied and changed the policy.

Cheers
Noneck

noneck said:
Fully 1/3 of the Force is in BC, of that 1/2 are located in the LMD....there is a very good chance that you could be posted to a large centre in the LMD. If you were to be posted to the LMD you could spend your entire career there and not have to move houses....this is an anomaly within the Force.

E Div! Its almost a different organization altogether! Nothing thats true anywhere else applies there!

The weather is nice though  ;D

Back