• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

HMCS Haida September 5, 2009 visit (pics)

CougarKing

Army.ca Fixture
Inactive
Reaction score
Just a few pics of our visit to the famed warship during our Toronto-Hamilton-GTA tour last week:

HMCSHaidaedited1.jpg

HMCSHaidaedited2.jpg

HMCSHaidaedited3.jpg

DSC00295.jpg

DSC00294.jpg

DSC00281.jpg

Some zodiacs we saw while aboard, presumably from HMCS Star, the reserve unit next door.

DSC00282.jpg

Excellent Pics CougarDaddy, but who is the guy with the funny looking white square head!!!

Wow,

In all my time in Hamilton, i have never actually been ON the HMCS Haida, i've seen it from the parking lot of STAR but never been on. Perhaps I'll go on a tour. 
I hear they put up lights on it during the fall/winter months.

I saw the Haida years ago, but I'm getting more inspired to go pay her a visit again. 

NS

I toured it as a kid when it was at Ontario Place. I will have to go to back. Tour the ship and war bird museum on the same day

I toured it as a kid when it was at Ontario Place. I will have to go to back. Tour the ship and war bird museum on the same day
At one point it was slated for full decomissioning and disposal, and it slipped the lines and was bobbing around Burlington bay. Not sure if it was coincidental, but I think that was around the same time it got funded for the permanent location and some additional preservation.

Did a visit a few years ago just before COVID, was pretty cool to see. The war birds are awesome as well, and loved seeing the old planes doing loops around when they did test flights with it. The lancaster bomber sounds incredibly distinctive and it blocks out the sun.

Haven't visited the ship yet but would very much like to after reading about her exploits. They don't call her "Canada’s fightingest ship" for nothing.

haida.jpg

Toured it with my father when it was at Ontario Place. He served as an Engine Room Articifer's Apprentice on HMCS FUNDY ( J88 ), HMCS LOCKEPORT ( J100 ), HMCS UNGAVA ( J149 ), HMCS FORT ERIE ( K670 ) during the war.
One was coal fired. Can't remember which.

At one point it was slated for full decomissioning and disposal, and it slipped the lines and was bobbing around Burlington bay. Not sure if it was coincidental, but I think that was around the same time it got funded for the permanent location and some additional preservation.

Did a visit a few years ago just before COVID, was pretty cool to see. The war birds are awesome as well, and loved seeing the old planes doing loops around when they did test flights with it. The lancaster bomber sounds incredibly distinctive and it blocks out the sun.

I have a civy buddy who is a comercial pilot. He put his name on the list to fly the war birds. Its a long list, hes not hopeful lol

Back