• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

High Ranking Police Folk Allegedly Behaving Badly

Same guy is alleged to have taken $25k in another raid. Unable to work, but still able to perform in a metal cover band.

He also claimed other Ottawa police were present at that raid. He appears to have only a passing acquaintance with the truth when testifying in court.

Man that Ottawa PD sounds like quite the good investment of tax dollars.
I mean they probably write a lot of traffic tickets and if they skim a little off the top and some of that money ends up in a councillor's pocket? That's a win-win right? 😄

So Ottawa city is just a micro reflection of the corrupt Federal Gov based in that town lol
Full House Ok GIF

Ottawa’s a mess. Mostly good people but parking hard on the road, like anywhere, but clearly enough of a leavening of bad ones to keep them in the news, plus some shitty and toxic upper leadership. Senior leadership of Ontario police services tend to bounce around between different services and to be kind of incestuous… Ottawa hired a Mountie from B.C. to be its new chief to I think bring in someone completely outside that. We’ll see if it works.

Ottawa’s a mess. Mostly good people but parking hard on the road, like anywhere, but clearly enough of a leavening of bad ones to keep them in the news, plus some shitty and toxic upper leadership. Senior leadership of Ontario police services tend to bounce around between different services and to be kind of incestuous… Ottawa hired a Mountie from B.C. to be its new chief to I think bring in someone completely outside that. We’ll see if it works.
Comedy Is It Tho GIF by Hyper RPG

I have a few friends who are now OPS Police Officers, I feel bad for them because the force is always in the news for the wrong reasons and I know they are good people who just try to show up at work and do their job.

Comedy Is It Tho GIF by Hyper RPG

I have a few friends who are now OPS Police Officers, I feel bad for them because the force is always in the news for the wrong reasons and I know they are good people who just try to show up at work and do their job.
It was funny going through training and being on the job with a mixed crew of ex CAF and civilians. Totally divergent perspectives on various forms of shiftiness and discomfort, as well as leadership.

It was funny going through training and being on the job with a mixed crew of ex CAF and civilians. Totally divergent perspectives on various forms of shiftiness and discomfort, as well as leadership.

Keep Talking Idris Elba GIF

I see it now in my current line of work. My "richter scale" of what is classified as 'shitty' is WAY OFF what some of my compatriots think. It's probably why they like hiring ex-military guys at my work. We don't know any better LOL.

I see it now in my current line of work. My "richter scale" of what is classified as 'shitty' is WAY OFF what some of my compatriots think. It's probably why they like hiring ex-military guys at my work. We don't know any better LOL.
Its not just the military.

For example cooks tend to work much longer hours than most, worse hours, random erratic hours where sometimes they will cancel your shifts last minute. Many are expected to work through their unpaid breaks or to interrupt them at the drop of a dime, and to top it all off they are paid slightly more than the person tending the register. Many former cooks I know who transitioned into other lines of work are amazed at how poorly they were treated in comparison to everywhere else. The net result being those still in the trade usually don't know any better and those who get out end up shocked with what others consider 'shitty'.

It was funny going through training and being on the job with a mixed crew of ex CAF and civilians.

It's probably why they like hiring ex-military guys at my work.

For example cooks tend to work much longer hours than most, worse hours, random erratic hours where sometimes they will cancel your shifts last minute.

Emergency services is a good fit for ex CAF.

Its not just the military.

For example cooks tend to work much longer hours than most, worse hours, random erratic hours where sometimes they will cancel your shifts last minute. Many are expected to work through their unpaid breaks or to interrupt them at the drop of a dime, and to top it all off they are paid slightly more than the person tending the register. Many former cooks I know who transitioned into other lines of work are amazed at how poorly they were treated in comparison to everywhere else. The net result being those still in the trade usually don't know any better and those who get out end up shocked with what others consider 'shitty'.

If there were only a way to find out about how crappy that job is in advance by watching a TV program or something.

Oh, wait..... ;)

Angry Gordon Ramsay GIF by Gordon Ramsay's 24 Hours to Hell and Back

What if the good people have been working too long and too hard to overcome it and finally just stop working hard? Everybody gets the same pay and benefits after all...

'Quiet quitting' enters the chat:

When Quiet Quitting Is Worse Than the Real Thing​

While most employers understand the challenges associated with resignations, a new trend — quiet quitting — has somewhat more-nuanced implications for organizations. Quiet quitters continue to perform all their regular work, but they refuse to go above and beyond and engage in what researchers refer to as citizenship behaviors. And to be sure, for jobs with responsibilities that can be fully defined in advance, this isn’t necessarily problematic. But many companies rely on a workforce that’s willing to step up and take on extra tasks when necessary. Furthermore, workers themselves benefit when they engage in citizenship behaviors, both in terms of their personal wellbeing and their professional growth. As such, this trend has the potential to harm not only employers, but employees as well — and it’s up to leaders to understand and address its root causes. In this piece, the authors identify three research-backed strategies for managers and leaders: redefine workers’ core job tasks; listen, then invest in employees; and replace an unhealthy hustle culture with sustainable “citizenship crafting.”

'Quiet quitting' enters the chat:

When Quiet Quitting Is Worse Than the Real Thing​

While most employers understand the challenges associated with resignations, a new trend — quiet quitting — has somewhat more-nuanced implications for organizations. Quiet quitters continue to perform all their regular work, but they refuse to go above and beyond and engage in what researchers refer to as citizenship behaviors. And to be sure, for jobs with responsibilities that can be fully defined in advance, this isn’t necessarily problematic. But many companies rely on a workforce that’s willing to step up and take on extra tasks when necessary. Furthermore, workers themselves benefit when they engage in citizenship behaviors, both in terms of their personal wellbeing and their professional growth. As such, this trend has the potential to harm not only employers, but employees as well — and it’s up to leaders to understand and address its root causes. In this piece, the authors identify three research-backed strategies for managers and leaders: redefine workers’ core job tasks; listen, then invest in employees; and replace an unhealthy hustle culture with sustainable “citizenship crafting.”

In the police world it’s called ‘FIDO’- ‘Fuck it, drive on’. The constant pressure from the public to make no mistakes, and the constant pressure form management to do the same but also to humbly eat a big shit sandwich when there’s a complaint (legit or not), has worn a lot of cops down. Cops will still attend the dispatched calls, but so much of the proactive and speculative crime detection and prevention work has stopped happening. Police who used to stop and talk to known gang members they saw out and about - and maybe in doing so detect bail breaches, or spot someone carrying a gun - won’t do it anymore. Same with a lot of proactive traffic stops… It’s unfortunate to see because a lot of buds no longer get nipped.

Last edited:
In the P olice world it’s called ‘FIDO’- ‘Fuck it, drive on’. The constant pressure from the public to make no mistakes, and the constant pressure form management to do the same but also to humbly eat a big shit sandwich when there’s a complaint (legit or not), has worn a lot of cops down. Cops will still attend the dispatched calls, but so much of the proactive and speculative crime detection and prevention work has stopped happening. Police who used to stop and talk to known gang members they saw out and about - and maybe in doing so detect bail breaches, or spot someone carrying a gun - won’t do it anymore. Same with a lot of proactive traffic stops… It’s unfortunate to see because a lot of buds no longer get nipped.

Taylor called it 'Soldiering', which remains a problem in most organizations, although in the examples you mentioned it seems more like self-preservation of one form or another:

Soldiering

Frederick Taylor sought to reduce slow workers by improving work relationships between employers and employees to work at the very best advantage, speed of work and management to help (Taylor, 1911). While Taylor’s work is considered his own, some academics argue that his work is an embodiment of attitudes of time and discipline taken from other theories. Taylor sought to control ‘Soldiering’ which he broke down into two separate forms:

Natural-Soldiering: Workers are naturally lazy, due to a range of reasons of being unmotivated and finding work boring. Taylor saw characteristics of good management of motivation and rewards of advancement ways to improve natural-Soldiering, as Employees had a motive to achieve and perform to a good standard. Amabile (1996) states that employee motivation is a central problem for managers, as unmotivated employees are likely to spend little effort in their jobs. Amabile states that using creativity is essential to improve employee motivation and produce high quality work.

Systematic-Soldiering: Workers conspired together to work as a calm, comfortable work rate. Taylor saw this as a problem that was more difficult to overcome as it related to the group norms of the company. Activities where timed to prevent employees from taking it easy. According to Pascual-Ezama, Prelec and Dunfield (2011) in their research they conducted on over 500 employees they found that a lack of supervision promoted cheating between workers, in the forms of short cuts and longer breaks taken. Dishonesty was also seen to achieve social rewards such as prestige and recognition for a task. It’s interesting to note that Taylors Systematic Soldiering is still a problem in today’s modern society (Price, 2007).

Cops will still attend the dispatched calls, but so much of the proactive and speculative crime detection and prevention work has stopped happening.

That's nice to know. :)

Sometimes responding from couches while watching TV - and monitoring their portable radios - in paramedic stations, and presumably, fire houses as well.

Foot patrol officers in stations were a common sight.

In the police world it’s called ‘FIDO’- ‘Fuck it, drive on’. The constant pressure from the public to make no mistakes, and the constant pressure form management to do the same but also to humbly eat a big shit sandwich when there’s a complaint (legit or not), has worn a lot of cops down. Cops will still attend the dispatched calls, but so much of the proactive and speculative crime detection and prevention work has stopped happening. Police who used to stop and talk to known gang members they saw out and about - and maybe in doing so detect bail breaches, or spot someone carrying a gun - won’t do it anymore. Same with a lot of proactive traffic stops… It’s unfortunate to see because a lot of buds no longer get nipped.

I get it and can I can see why. And it's sad.

Back