• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Hearing (Merged) Including Hearing Tests and Hearing Categories

If the enrolment and occupational standards differ, the more stringent applies on enrolment.

Over time, if your hearing deteriorates, as long as you continue to meet the standards for your trade there should be no repercussions.  If you go below trade standards, depending on the situation, you could be retained without restriction, retained with restrictions, ordered into a compulsory occupational transfer, or ordered released.  What will happen depends on the specific details of your situation.

Thanks for the confirmation. I realized that I was reading something incorrectly (which was that if you *do* meet the requirements, then it is compared to your trade , which I had been reading before as if you *don't* meet them).

Might call my hearing clinic and see if I can get a printout of my audiology results prior to my exam. I know I'm going to need to test regardless and might have to get a new exam entirely if there was a discrepancy, but it'd be nice to know in advance where I'm at.

Hey, so I've gotten a letter from the medical staff saying that I don't fit the CEMS due to a hearing deficit. I'm trying to join as a med tech and I am considered "semi-skilled" (paramedic license).  According to DAOD 5002-1 the CEMS can be waived:

"Meet the common enrolment medical standard of V4 CV3 H2 G2 O2 A5 as set out in A-MD-154-000/FP-000, Medical Standards for the Canadian Forces.
The Comd CFRG or the Comd's delegate may waive the common enrolment medical standard for an applicant who:
    is skilled or semi-skilled; and
    is able to bypass any basic or common military training following enrolment."

I can complete the common military tasks and meet the minimum medical standard assigned to the med tech occupation (H3), would it be possible for me to get waived?
I also know of a surgical procedure that can fix my hearing, would it be worth to do it and re-enrolling instead of waiting for a response from the medical staff? or should I try and get waived?

cawliin said:
Hey, so I've gotten a letter from the medical staff saying that I don't fit the CEMS due to a hearing deficit.

You may, or may not, find these discussions of interest,

Challenging a medical decision/Requesting second review 
https://army.ca/forums/threads/37404/post-1461930.html#msg1461930

As always,  Recruiting is your most trusted source of official and up to date information.

"Unofficial site, not associated with DND or the Canadian Armed Forces."

cawliin said:
The Comd CFRG or the Comd's delegate may waive the common enrolment medical standard for an applicant who:
    is skilled or semi-skilled; and
    is able to bypass any basic or common military training following enrolment."

Note the second line. It says AND IS ABLE TO BYPASS BASIC TRAINING following enrolment. Wouldd you be granted recruit school bypass? If not, it doesn't matter if you are skilled or semi-skilled, you do not meet the second condition.

As for the surgery, do it for yourself if you want. Don't do it for a job, as you are still not guaranteed a job. You could still get denied for any number of reasons, including the surgery itself.

When it comes to basic training, according to the people I've spoken to (friends in the military/ people that have had hearing problems and gotten waived) I would be able to pass training. My hearing is normal in my right ear, I just can't hear much on the left. As long as the sound isn't extremely isolated to only my left ear (i.e hearing earplugs + ear mufflers on the right and trying to listen on the left)

paleomedic said:
Note the second line. It says AND IS ABLE TO BYPASS BASIC TRAINING following enrolment. Wouldd you be granted recruit school bypass? If not, it doesn't matter if you are skilled or semi-skilled, you do not meet the second condition.

As for the surgery, do it for yourself if you want. Don't do it for a job, as you are still not guaranteed a job. You could still get denied for any number of reasons, including the surgery itself.

When it comes to basic training, according to the people I've spoken to (friends in the military/ people that have had hearing problems and gotten waived) I would be able to pass training. My hearing is normal in my right ear, I just can't hear much on the left. As long as the sound isn't extremely isolated to only my left ear (i.e hearing earplugs + ear mufflers on the right and trying to listen on the left)

It doesn't matter if you could pass basic.  If you haven't already completed it, you are not eligible for a recruit school bypass.

My MEL says that in need to wear specialized hearing protection provided by DMedPol whenever I am in an aircraft or firing a weapon. Has anyone ever seen this? I’m not sure what hearing protection they are talking about, I haven’t been issued or fitted for anything.

Good day,

Figured I would start a thread in relation to how people have gone about appealing their H3 rejections and if anyone has successfully entered with hearing aids.

My self I intend on using DOAD 5015.0 to appeal my rejection.

anyone else? Suggestions?

ThePole said:
to appeal my rejection.

For reference to the discussion,

Appeal of Enrollment Medical [Merged]
https://army.ca/forums/threads/22935.0
8 pages.

Just as a side note, read who DAOD 5015-0 applies to

"This is a directive that applies to employees of the Department of National Defence (DND employees) and an order that applies to officers and non-commissioned members of the Canadian Armed Forces (CAF members) who act as managers or supervisors of DND employees."

At the moment you are neither a DND Employee or a CAF member so this DAOD does not apply to you.

Hi,

I just came back from the medical at recruiting centre and am a bit concerned with the hearing test today.
My hearing at high frequency (6000-7000) is bad and it has been for a few years. But in the frequency range of 500-5000, I can hear under 10 db. But the medic put me as H4, but I argued with him as politely as I could but he said since the drop from 5000 to 6000 is of 50 db, he has to put it as H4. I think he messed up, but can anyone provide any information regarding this.

Thank you.

Back