• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Has anyone heard of Red Friday's?

zipperhead_cop

Army.ca Veteran
Inactive
Reaction score
Hey, all.  I got this as an email through my regular account.  I couldn't see any sort of originator or even if it had any military origin.  I have reprinted it exactly as I received it (although it was in a red font but red looked terrible in the preview):

Red Friday

Just keeping you "in the loop" so you'll know what's going on in case this takes off.

RED FRIDAYS ----- Very soon, you will see a great many people wearing Red every Friday. The reason? Canadians who support our troops used to be called the "silent majority". We are no longer silent, and are voicing our love for God, country and home in record breaking numbers. We are not organized, boisterous or over-bearing. We get no liberal media coverage on TV, to reflect our message or our opinions.

Many Canadians, like you, me and all our friends, simply want to recognize that the vast majority of Canadians supporting our troops. Our idea of showing solidarity and support for our troops with dignity and respect starts this Friday -and continues each and every Friday until the troops all come home, sending a deafening message that.. Every red-blooded Canadian who supports our men and women afar will wear something red

By word of mouth, press, TV -- let's make Canada on every Friday a sea of red much like a homecoming football game in the bleachers. If every one of us who loves this country will share this with acquaintances, co-workers, friends, and family. It will not be long before Canada is covered in RED and it will let our troops know the once "silent" majority is on their side more than ever, certainly more than the media lets on.

The first thing a soldier says when asked "What can we do to make things better for you?" is...We need your support and your prayers. Let's get the word out and lead with class and dignity, by example; and wear some thing red every Friday.

IF YOU AGREE -- THEN SEND THIS ON

Has anybody heard of anything like this?  What do you all think?  No doubt there needs to be more public awareness efforts than that, but what the heck?

I received it today too, first I'd seen of it.

Snopes however:

Urban Legends Reference Pages: Politics (Red Friday)
Will wearing red on Fridays show support for US troops overseas?
www.snopes.com/politics/war/redfriday.asp

zipperhead_cop said:
Ah, so it was just Canadianized and sent out again.  Could work anyway?

I saw this too - if everyone did it then it would prob work - though non-military may not know what we are doing lol

CHML900 - Hamilton host Roy Green was asking who was going to wear Red on Friday to show support for our troops. Response seemed pretty good

muffin said:
I saw this too - if everyone did it then it would prob work - though non-military may not know what we are doing lol

Since when do sheep do what's good for them? I remember all the emails urging people not to buy gas from Petrocanada in order to get them to drop their prices - never happened. I see gas is back over a buck a litre in Calgary again, so time for those emails to start flowing.

Never heard of Red Friday's, but I know his brother, TGI, makes a killer Margarita

just wanted to tell you, at my high school in Owen Sound, ON a group of me and my friends wear orange instead of red on Fri. for the military.

A friend of mine is seeking more information regarding RED fridays..She is appearing on a local radio station and is trying to gather as much information as she can about this... How it came about? Why now? and how to get others involved?... SO if any of yous got any information or suggestions please pass them on.. Thursday is when she will be on.. So today is the only day.. So please if you know anything about it tell me so I can pass it to her..Thanx :cdn:

Siggy

MasterStryker said:
just wanted to tell you, at my high school in Owen Sound, ON a group of me and my friends wear orange instead of red on Fri. for the military.

WHAT.. I was told to wear yellow..

Next thing you know we all look like a rainbow.. and we'd then be supporting.....  um. 
well, I think you can figure out the rest of the joke!  ;)

Oh Padre.. you are such an entertaining fella...

I'd never heard of it, but ironically enough I am wearing a red top today.

Oh yes.  I got the email last week and posted the idea on another site I belong to.  This has gone national now.  I keep having radio stations, tv stations and newspapers calling me to comment.  Somehow, they got that I started it all ???
I do believe it was an American idea at first, and just spread here. 
I think more than anything, it is public awareness, and keeps the military on the public's mind, which is a good thing.  We never want them to forget that we 2200+ overseas right now with more to follow.
I wore red last week to show support.

Trinity said:
WHAT.. I was told to wear yellow..

Next thing you know we all look like a rainbow.. and we'd then be supporting.....   um. 
well, I think you can figure out the rest of the joke!  ;)

Not that there's anything wrong with that!

I hadn't heard of this previously, but would certainly support the wearing of red...or whatever color is decided upon to show support.  I would forward the info (accurate info) to all on my list and I am sure they would do the same...send me the info and let's get this going all over our country... :cdn:

HL

I think I rather like this idea even if it originated down south! I love the colour and I think this is a great idea... I'm going to pass it on to everyone I possibly can... Annoy them with it until I see them in Red on Friday....

Good idea!

Maybe if enough of this gains attention the beast that is the  public will sort of wake from it's slumber and realize we DO have a military!?!

No rainbow though please, I can only afford so much clothing... And... Dignity...

:)
J/k

Sent the email to everyone on my list, though I doubt my mom will wear it as it doesn't match her tin foil hat  ::)

Back