• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Has anyone had anything stolen?

• Thread starter Thread starter gorf
  • Start date Start date
Allan Luomala said:
oh wait, I might have, once I found out they were getting Spec Pay..... no, that was a feeling of disgust....).

Curiously, I think I know why they get spec pay. Once, when I locked my f%$#ing keys inside my truck, they knew exactly how to break into it without leaving any evidence. Since that time, I've had a lot of respect for them.  ;)

1) Civilians pass through out college all the time at any hour of the day. There's lots of cadets here, both guys and gals, who have significant others who are from the civi side.

2)There's lots of NCMs, Officers, and civilian contractors who work here on a daily basis within our dorms and have access to master keys, etc

3) During the summer, this place turns into a transiate haven and a summer training center for sea cadets (who use all of our facilities)

Go to either of kingstons army surplus stores and ask the staff about RMC cadets stealing each others kit and trying to sell it there.
It's not fair to say the RMC cadets are the only ones taking shit but speaking to the store staff, they paint a pretty shitty picture when it comes to the cadets selling buddies equipment for a cheap buck.

It's funny, because as I was reading the post ref stealing at RMC, I was thinking exactly what Kat ended up posting. While it is wrong to jump to conclusions, I think it is also wrong to point the finger of blame at:

I'm not pointing the finger at anyone, I'm just stating that there's a lot of activity that goes on at the college, which makes it very difficult to pinpoint the source or sources of these thefts.

Go to either of kingstons army surplus stores and ask the staff about RMC cadets stealing each others kit and trying to sell it there.
It's not fair to say the RMC cadets are the only ones taking crap but speaking to the store staff, they paint a pretty shitty picture when it comes to the cadets selling buddies equipment for a cheap buck.

oh, ok, So you're saying some cadet walks into the surplus store and says, "Hey, I'm an RMC cadet, and I like to sell the following equipment?" How do you know they're RMC cadets? Are they wearing their college uniform or something? I think if someone was selling stolen gear they'd be a little more stealthy than that. Lets not forget that Kingston is a semi military town. Just cause someone that has a short haircut is selling some random mil kit doesn't mean they're from RMC. Alot of you people on this forum really think we're retarded or something.

Personally, I think that the average civvy who walks into a military work environment is probably scared shitless of what might happen to them if they got busted stealing military kit (ie a night in a dungeon somewhere)

Ah, no, not here at RMC. There has been Queen's students over the years who have stolen swords here as a "trophies". Again, Kingston is a semi military town, making people not too scared of the military since they see them everywhere. The civis who work here are certainly not afraid of the military. Again, not pointing fingers at them as thieves or anything.

Wait, I lied - someone's story above reminded me that I did indeed have something stolen...

On ROTO 7, near the end of the tour, I didn't get my monthly beer card.   As you all know, no beer card = no beer.   So I went to the Coy Clk and asked if it had been printed - it had, and the bundle for HQ and Med staff had been signed for.

I had to get a memo fr my Sgt, addressed to the OC, requesting permission for a new beer card - can't have two you know.   I eventually got a new card, and then, suddenly, as the first planeful of troops went home at end-Tour, the original beer card was found on the ground, with several days punched out - days where I did not have the card in my possession, and volunteered to be on-duty since I couldn't drink anyway.   Days where many people offered me one of their two precious beers because they felt bad about the missing card, and I turned it down, as I had foolishly volunteered to be on-call.

Annoying points:
1. The thief was someone who I'd lived and worked with for 6 months.   Not only that, I had undoubtedly provided some form of medical care - probably Zithro and Cipro in a high dose combo.   If you're reading this, I think you're an A$$, and would love to tell you to your face, you spineless d!nk.

2. The bartender - she knew us all well enough that when someone apparently had extra cards - she'd at least check to see if the name on the other card was someone on leave or on the plane home.   She knew I was in camp and that my card had been stolen.   Yet, still, she punched my card for someone else.   B!tch!

tlm.

oh, ok, So you're saying some cadet walks into the surplus store and says, "Hey, I'm an RMC cadet, and I like to sell the following equipment?" How do you know they're RMC cadets? Are they wearing their college uniform or something? I think if someone was selling stolen gear they'd be a little more stealthy than that. Lets not forget that Kingston is a semi military town. Just cause someone that has a short haircut is selling some random mil kit doesn't mean they're from RMC. Alot of you people on this forum really think we're retarded or something.

When you spend more time in uniform you'll understand. Thats not a slight at your experience compared to mine or anyone elses, it's the simple truth.
In kingston 9 and a half times out of 10 i can tell the difference between a reservists, regular force soldier and RMC cadet simply by how they act and how they talk.  (Thats not in uniform, without any obvious identification)
You can pick them out at a bar, in the mall or in a dark theater when they are laughing and cracking jokes during the genocide sceens in the beginning of 'The hunted'

Some cadets are stupid enough to wear RMC blazers/jackets etc..   (the same as reserves and reg force are stupid enough to do) They come up with silly excuses.  
"I got issued two and they wont take one back and said i can keep it"
"I quit a few months ago i'm just trying to get rid of some junk i have"

The guys working at the store aren't stupid. They deal with people trying to sell stuff on a day to day basis. I'm sure they can figure a few things out for themselves.
Believe it or not guy, it's REALLY hard to hide the fact that your in the military and even more so when your from RMC.

I think if someone was selling stolen gear they'd be a little more stealthy than that.
You would also imagine an RMC cadet wouldn't try to bring a pellt gun onto an aircraft right?
People do stupid things, regardless of institution.

You would also imagine an RMC cadet wouldn't try to bring a pellt gun onto an aircraft right?
People do stupid things, regardless of institution.

That story is pretty amusing in my eyes. It was a first year cadet. I guess that might be one of the disadvantages of breaking up IAP and BOTP into two summers. All the new cadets have only the IAP (Initial Assessment Period). Pretty much how to wear a uniform, mark kit and identify rank structure. It's incidents like the pellet gun one that make me think where they're getting these people from.

I still have a hard time believing that cadets would actually pawn off each others kit at a surplus store. Alot of people wouldn't risk getting caught and the others are just to lazy. Usually if a piece of kit goes missing, it's because someone cant find there's or borrows without asking, with the intend of returning it (which seldom happens).

I hope when, not if, some thieving maggot is caught red handed, some inside justice ( a la shoe about the head   ;D EDIT: refers to Post 36 - 'take as tongue in cheek') is done instead of doing the PC thing.

Here's to copping a hiding, and then getting chucked out.

DISICPLINE BY EXAMPLE!

Cheers,

Wes

Wesley, as much as I agree with you about the boot to the head, our N American society has allowed it to get to the point where the perpetrator of a crime has more rights than the victim, and a boot to the head would probably result in one losing more than just a piece of kit (ie lawsuit, reduction in rank, etc).

The threat of physical violence (or death) as a motivator to stop people from carrying out certain acts (theft, verbal stupidity, murder, etc) has been lost, and I hope that one day it may return. Until then, I'm afraid that there is little to deter people from acting on their impulses.

Al

Allan Luomala said:
Wesley, as much as I agree with you about the boot to the head, our N American society has allowed it to get to the point where the perpetrator of a crime has more rights than the victim, and a boot to the head would probably result in one losing more than just a piece of kit (ie lawsuit, reduction in rank, etc).

The threat of physical violence (or death) as a motivator to stop people from carrying out certain acts (theft, verbal stupidity, murder, etc) has been lost, and I hope that one day it may return. Until then, I'm afraid that there is little to deter people from acting on their impulses.

Al

Mate, I spent the first 35 yrs of my life living in Canada, and my remark about 'shoe vs head' was from a previous post (No. 36) of mine in this thread (where I caught someone red handed, and smacking him in the head with his own shoe which fell off) and was meant 'tongue in cheek'. To leave the impression of kicking someone in the head with boots on for theft is/was NOT my intention.

As in Canada, here in Australia we too have the same style of legal system. Thats what i call it anyways, as there is no longer a justice system. Pretty sad that the crims have more rights than the victims.

Cheers

Wes

"Wesley, as much as I agree with you about the boot to the head, our N American society has allowed it to get to the point where the perpetrator of a crime has more rights than the victim, and a boot to the head would probably result in one losing more than just a piece of kit (ie lawsuit, reduction in rank, etc). "

Something just occured to me:

Ever notice that we always assume the guy who commits the crime will get away with it, whereas the guy who commits a crime teaching the guy who commited the crime a lesson will get caught?

Tom

Back