• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Harry DeWolfe Posting?

misratah500

Inactive
Reaction score
Is this boat going to belong to the West Coast fleet, I heard they've already stood up a command team out here in MARPAC? Anyone have any interesting info on the systems or timeline on this vessel? Wouldn't mind trying for a posting on her if she comes out here.

The plan is to have 4 based in Halifax and 2 in Esquimalt...but that could change!  A lot is dependant on a jetty recapitalization project of A and B jettys in Esquimalt.  If that doesn't go through then odds are they will stay East. 

Attached is the AOPS fact sheet.

I suspect the project is safe, mostly through the permitting stage, no major FN issues, a real identifiable need, it's navy and it means jobs and it's infrastructure, so it hits all the new government bells.

I sat through a briefing on them this afternoon.  They will have the crew requirements decided by April 2016.  After this takes place, the various career shops will start to get things rolling for the postings needed.  The first two crews will do all of their training out of Halifax regardless of if they'll be west coast or not.

Things are still on track for the ships, jettys and refueling depot.  At the moment...

Yeah Yeah. Fine, But get the damn name straight its HMCS HARRY DEWOLFE.

Haven't a clue who Henri DeWolf was  :dunno:  His older brother ???

I imagine with a crew of only a few dozen people that we're all going to be in cabins of some sort. That would be nice. I wonder what kinda combat systems for it we're going to get. So far an IFF system and the 25mm gun. I wish the gun was bigger. The rumor is the CSC vessels will finally have us back in the 5" size of guns for naval gunfire support

Is it just me, or do the names of the ships sound too American?  What would've been wrong with just calling it the DeWolfe-class (i.e. HMCS DeWolfe, HMCS Bernays, etc.)? 

Thumper81 said:
Is it just me, or do the names of the ships sound too American?  What would've been wrong with just calling it the DeWolfe-class (i.e. HMCS DeWolfe, HMCS Bernays, etc.)?

Agreed!

MODs: Can someone change the thread title permanently before it drives me round the bend?

It's HARRY,  not Henry !!!!!!! AAAAAAARGH!!!!!

Oldgateboatdriver said:
MODs: Can someone change the thread title permanently before it drives me round the bend?

It's HARRY,  not Henry !!!!!!! AAAAAAARGH!!!!!

You're sounding rather harried...

Colin P said:
be glad it's not a flower class: HMCS Pansy  ;D

There actually was going to be an HMS PANSY, but it was changed to HEARTSEASE before commissioning.

None of the Canadian Flower class corvettes were named after flowers.  The RN used them all up, so we had to use towns and cities.

Colin P said:
be glad it's not a flower class: HMCS Pansy  ;D

Imagine if that CO had to go visit a USN ship.  From what I remember, the USN refers to the CO as the ship's name, so when a CO goes onboard/leaves, there is something to the effect of "Pansy, arriving" and "Pansy, departing". 

>:D

Oldgateboatdriver said:
Yeah Yeah. Fine, But get the damn name straight its HMCS HARRY DEWOLFE.

Haven't a clue who Henri DeWolf was  :dunno:  His older brother ???

Is it really HMCS at this point, because if it isn't a commissioned ship yet can it take that title yet?

OK, so the HMCS part will come in later.

But it's still Harry! Harry! Harry!

I still don't know who Henry was  :brickwall:

My fleet chief just sent out a document to the fleet PO1's and up trying to stir up interest for those that want to volunteer to be on the first few crews I suppose. The document was called Concept of Operations for HDW class ships and it's available on the DIN.

It's a fascinating document over 60 pages in length detailing crewing requirements for command staff, equipment to be fitted on board, operations in detail of what it is envisioned to do and the cycle of ships for operation. They envision 4 on East and 2 on West coast and the east coast ones would operate for 120 days and the west coast ones would operate for 80 up North since it's harder to access the north on the west coast.

This would usually happen from early/mid summer till mid fall depending because of ice conditions. They also envision these ships being better platforms for OP Caribbe than the MCDV's because of the on board USGC LEDET teams and the facilities they have on-board for boarding teams and communications equipment.

They envision the ships operating on a 1/4 rotation because of the small crew with only doing 1/2 operations for short periods of time.

Hell the document even has the ships layout deck by deck. It's pretty cool to see how it is laid out and what not. I think this will be a fine vessel.

It's an unclass document only available on the DIN so if anyone wants me to link it to them after xmas leave you can send me a pm with your forces address and I"ll email you the link.

The only thing missing is the conceptual watch and station bill. I was curious as to see what the core crew make up would be from top to bottom.

misratah500 said:
My fleet chief just sent out a document to the fleet PO1's and up trying to stir up interest for those that want to volunteer to be on the first few crews I suppose. The document was called Concept of Operations for HDW class ships and it's available on the DIN.

It's a fascinating document over 60 pages in length detailing crewing requirements for command staff, equipment to be fitted on board, operations in detail of what it is envisioned to do and the cycle of ships for operation. They envision 4 on East and 2 on West coast and the east coast ones would operate for 120 days and the west coast ones would operate for 80 up North since it's harder to access the north on the west coast.

This would usually happen from early/mid summer till mid fall depending because of ice conditions. They also envision these ships being better platforms for OP Caribbe than the MCDV's because of the on board USGC LEDET teams and the facilities they have on-board for boarding teams and communications equipment.

They envision the ships operating on a 1/4 rotation because of the small crew with only doing 1/2 operations for short periods of time.

Hell the document even has the ships layout deck by deck. It's pretty cool to see how it is laid out and what not. I think this will be a fine vessel.

It's an unclass document only available on the DIN so if anyone wants me to link it to them after xmas leave you can send me a pm with your forces address and I"ll email you the link.

The only thing missing is the conceptual watch and station bill. I was curious as to see what the core crew make up would be from top to bottom.

True, they are a more capable platform obviously for OP Caribbe and the Arctic. It also mentions in the Kingston Class concept of operations that the MCDV's will still be used for those missions.

Is it just me or does 'HMCS DeWolfe" sound better then 'HMCS Harry DeWolfe'?

Back