• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Harry DeWolfe Posting?

Mike5 said:
Is it just me or does 'HMCS DeWolfe" sound better then 'HMCS Harry DeWolfe'?

Nah!!! If you had a HMCS The Wolfe, you would soon have to have a HMCS The Montcalm.  :christmas happy:

Oldgateboatdriver said:
Nah!!! If you had a HMCS The Wolfe, you would soon have to have a HMCS The Montcalm.  :christmas happy:

But you "Hairy Sacks" would still have the HMCS Hairy DeWolfe.  [;)

I suspect, like our USN counterparts, we will ‘naturally’ shorten the names informally (Vinson, Ford, Churchill, …). I wonder what CCG does for this (anyone out there want to chime in?)
On another note, there were 10 Canadian Flower class corvettes named for ‘flowers’. These were to be RN vessels but were handed back to the RCN due to a lack of RN crews in 1940. They were HMC Ships Hepatica, Bittersweet, Spikenard, Fennel, Trillium, Snowberry, Arrowhead, Bittersweet, Eyebright and Mayflower

misratah500 said:
My fleet chief just sent out a document to the fleet PO1's and up trying to stir up interest for those that want to volunteer to be on the first few crews I suppose. The document was called Concept of Operations for HDW class ships and it's available on the DIN.

It's a fascinating document over 60 pages in length detailing crewing requirements for command staff, equipment to be fitted on board, operations in detail of what it is envisioned to do and the cycle of ships for operation. They envision 4 on East and 2 on West coast and the east coast ones would operate for 120 days and the west coast ones would operate for 80 up North since it's harder to access the north on the west coast.

This would usually happen from early/mid summer till mid fall depending because of ice conditions. They also envision these ships being better platforms for OP Caribbe than the MCDV's because of the on board USGC LEDET teams and the facilities they have on-board for boarding teams and communications equipment.

They envision the ships operating on a 1/4 rotation because of the small crew with only doing 1/2 operations for short periods of time.

Hell the document even has the ships layout deck by deck. It's pretty cool to see how it is laid out and what not. I think this will be a fine vessel.

It's an unclass document only available on the DIN so if anyone wants me to link it to them after xmas leave you can send me a pm with your forces address and I"ll email you the link.

The only thing missing is the conceptual watch and station bill. I was curious as to see what the core crew make up would be from top to bottom.

Any way to see that DOC not on the DIN/DWAN ?  I am on leave ATM and I would to read it over.  Would love to be part of the commissioning crews!

Too be honest I'm not sure. It's on Halifax's servers from what I gather from the link.

Pat in Halifax said:
I suspect, like our USN counterparts, we will ‘naturally’ shorten the names informally (Vinson, Ford, Churchill, …). I wonder what CCG does for this (anyone out there want to chime in?)
On another note, there were 10 Canadian Flower class corvettes named for ‘flowers’. These were to be RN vessels but were handed back to the RCN due to a lack of RN crews in 1940. They were HMC Ships Hepatica, Bittersweet, Spikenard, Fennel, Trillium, Snowberry, Arrowhead, Bittersweet, Eyebright and Mayflower

Most of the names were short enough to be just minor clipping the http://www.ccg-gcc.gc.ca/Fleet/CCGS-Martha-L-Black  was just the "black" The http://www.ccg-gcc.gc.ca/Fleet/CCGS-George-R-Pearkes was the "Perks"

Back