• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Harper tells Bush we are Leaving Afghanistan in 2009

GAP

Army.ca Legend
Subscriber
Donor
Mentor
Reaction score
Harper tells Bush we are Leaving Afghanistan in 2009

I can't find a link to the story in any of the MSM sites, but while listening to Chorus Network they announced that Harper told Bush we would LIKELY be leaving in 2009 (depending on the vote....).

Either very clever or real dumb....

clever .... for now

later.... point will be moot - prolly be an election by the time 2009 has come to pass.

Heard the same thing this morning on the radio, but haven't been able to find some hard evidence to back it up....You think the media would be all over this like white on rice...

Some how I would really like to see the look on Bush's face when Harper told him. If it's true or not.  ;D

What's Bush gonna say?... the US media is already refering to him as being a "lame duck" administration.
In some circles, Dubya is being treated like a pariah & people are now avoiding him like the plague.

CBC had one mention of it

Afghanistan, Arctic on agenda
The three leaders also covered a number of other issues during the closing news conference.

Bush praised Canada's role in Afghanistan, where more than 2,500 Canadian soldiers are serving. Harper on Monday told Bush that Canada would likely not continue in a combat role in the country past February 2009 without a consensus in Parliament.

"I believe Canada is doing a fabulous job in Afghanistan," said Bush. "Canada's contribution is more than combat. It's helping to build institutions."

North American leaders end summit with pact on import safety
Last Updated: Tuesday, August 21, 2007 | 4:17 PM ET CBC News
Article Link

The leaders of Canada, the United States and Mexico ended a two-day summit in Quebec Tuesday with a pledge to crack down on unsafe goods flowing into North America, while working to make the two borders more efficient and secure.

The move follows recent safety scares linked to Chinese-made products, including unsafe food additives, toothpaste and toys.

"We agreed to work together on consumer protection. We have to identify and stop unsafe goods from entering our countries, especially those designed for our children," said Stephen Harper.
More on link

Harper on Monday told Bush that Canada would likely not continue in a combat role in the country past February 2009 without a consensus in Parliament.

Nothing new here.  Without a consensus in parliament, we will not continue in a combat role past Feb 09.  This has been stated before.  The only reason that this is newsworthy is because no PM needs parliament's consensus to have the CF conduct combat operations anywhere.  So, without consensus, Harper could keep us there as a PRT, OMLT or anything else NOT COMBAT RELATED past Feb 09.  With consensus, we could continue in the combat role, with a view to continuing to set up the KANDAKs to take over, setting the conditions for success, not for an "exit strategy" (I personally only believe in "victory strategies", but that's just me)
EDIT:  To clarify, the PM could commit the CF to combat past Feb 09 with or without consensus, it's just that he's said that he'll seek consensus.

Perhaps not in a 'combat' role, but I think Canada will stay in Afghanistan well past 2009. We've paid the ultimate price and invested too much to do otherwise.  That would make no sense, IMO.

Politicking at it's best. Bush was the straight man who delivered the line Harper wanted him to for the press and the public....praising our role. Harper used the word likely which is not a definite but rather an indefinite statement. He always has time to change his tune if the mood or the number of seats change.

Harper on Monday told Bush that Canada would likely not continue in a combat role in the country past February 2009 without a consensus in Parliament.

Wow double-speak.

I read this as

"maybe we will ... maybe we won't"

ArmyVern said:
Wow double-speak.

I read this as

"maybe we will ... maybe we won't"

Exactly....it suits his political purposes for the time being...none of us in the military should be surprised by Political double-speak...we've been victims of that stuff for years.

Sounds like the weather forecast most days...

"Sunny with chance of cloudy periods and showers" or..."Cloudy periods and showers with a chance of sun".

Widespread darkness later on in the evening...

Nothing we didn't already know... ;D

Bush praises Canada despite likely Afghan pullout
Tue Aug 21, 2007 3:02 PM EDT

MONTEBELLO, Quebec (Reuters) - Canada won the praise of U.S. President George W. Bush on Tuesday for its military mission in Afghanistan, despite the fact that Ottawa will likely end combat operations there in February 2009.

"I believe Canada has done a fabulous job in Afghanistan, and I thank the people of Canada," Bush said at a joint news conference after meetings with Canadian Prime Minister Stephen Harper and Mexican President Felipe Calderon.

"But, more importantly, the people of Afghanistan thank the people of Canada," Bush said.

He was answering a question from a reporter on whether Canada, which has 2,600 soldiers in southern Afghanistan, will have done enough.

Canada is almost certain to withdraw its combat troops unless the Conservative government wins a majority of seats in Parliament in a new election between now and February 2009. Harper, whose minority government currently needs the support of at least one opposition party to remain in power, has pledged to let the legislature decide.

Canadians are divided over the Afghanistan mission and all three opposition parties are calling for a withdrawal at least by then, with one leftist party calling for a pullout now.

"I think we can all be very proud of the work the Canadian troops are doing in Afghanistan. Parliament will make its decision in due course, whether it wants to prolong the mission," Harper said.

Sixty-seven Canadian soldiers have been killed in Afghanistan, with the latest death coming the day before the North American summit in Montebello, east of Ottawa.

© Reuters 2007. All Rights Reserved.

http://tinyurl.com/38t97u

My vote is for very smart.

If someone needs to step up and do some heavy lifting,
they need to hear that someone has to step up.

NATO needs to smarten up - And they won't unless someone points it out.

The decision to deploy forces remains a power of the executive branch of the government. So, the Prime Minister could keep us there without parliament's approval. However, in a parliamentary democracy, the check on the Prime Minister's power comes in the form of a parliamentary non-confidence vote. So, if he wants to avoid embarrassment, he'll put the decision to remain in a combat roll to a vote in  parliament.

Its probably a good move politically. The Conservatives may gain a strong majority by 09 and will be in a stronger position to remain engaged in Afghanistan. Or the Taliban may be near defeat by then and then the Canadian contribution may be in the form of PRT's.

Either way, harper can't afford to look like the hawk right now.

When the VanDoos take a casualty it would be best politically to lay
resposibility at the liberals' feet.

Not very classy, I know - but that's politics.

Flip,
uh.... WTF, the R22R were deployed as it was their turn at bat.
Both the Conservatives and the Liberals approved the deployment of troops to Afghanistan.

Back