• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Grandfather In Dieppe, Record Meaning

Emily4390

Inactive
Reaction score
    To anyone who is militarily versed, I'm sorry if I sound stupid, but I'm very new to anything military-related.
    My Grandfather, Pte.Thomas Almon Kitchener was at the Dieppe Raid on August 19th 1942, in The Royal Regiment of Canada and was injured. I've been studying Dieppe specifically for an individual assignment in my Grade 10 History class, and I've started reviewing any of his records I've found.
    I need to know what it means on a form, that states his "Original Unit" as D.D.2. It is listed below his Unit, The Royal Regiment of Canada and I want to know what it represents. This is a matter of curiousity, and possibly historical significance. I need to know what "D.D.2" and an "Original Unit" is.

Well, you post in the right section, which is more then some new member could say :).

No. 2 District Depot in Toronto

A Google search turned up this mention of it: http://members.aol.com/reubique/b411117.htm, among others.  There doesn't seem to be a specific page describing the Depot's activities.  Basically it would be a base unit at which soldiers were recruited for overseas service, processed for despatch overseas, and eventually processed back though on demobilization after the war.

If D.D. No. 2 is listed as his "Original Unit" it would mean he was recruited into the Army at D.D. No. 2, and afterwards posted to the RRC as a reinforcement.

Back