• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Goodness Gracious, Great Balls Of Fire - Jerry Lee Lewis dead at 87

My parents played his music on the stereo when I was growing up. Pretty catchy. He liked to light his piano on fire then rock out on it. The Southern practice of marrying his cousin didn’t help his popularity after that though.

My parents played his music on the stereo when I was growing up. Pretty catchy. He liked to light his piano on fire then rock out on it. The Southern practice of marrying his cousin didn’t help his popularity after that though.
Not just his cousin but:

His third marriage (when he was 23) was to a 13-year-old cousin, Myra Gale Brown.

The age that a female can marry with parental consent and/or judicial consent in Mississippi is 15 but at the time was 12 (as per the UK Civil law which was adopted by most states after the revolution. It's still 12 in Massachusetts and 13 in New Hampshire - most are now 15 or 16 [as in Canada] - strangely, unlike Canada, states frequently distinguish between males and females allowing females to marry at a younger age.)

Wait! It gets better:

In addition, Lewis had not yet divorced his previous wife, Jane Mitcham.[4] After Lewis finalized his divorce from Mitcham, he remarried Brown on June 4, 1958

😖

A fabulous performer though. The song starts at 1:10.

🍻

Last edited:
I think Jerry Lee Lewis ( Rock n Roll era ) and Oscar Levant ( pre-Rock era ) were the two most influential pianists of the 20th century.

Not just his cousin but:

The age that a female can marry with parental consent and/or judicial consent in Mississippi is 15 but at the time was 12 (as per the UK Civil law which was adopted by most states after the revolution. It's still 12 in Massachusetts and 13 in New Hampshire - most are now 15 or 16 [as in Canada] - strangely, unlike Canada, states frequently distinguish between males and females allowing females to marry at a younger age.)

Wait! It gets better:

A fabulous performer though. The song starts at 1:10.

😖
That’s right. I forgot about that tidbit. 😖

There was a movie many moons ago about his early career. Dennis Quaid (not the crazy Quaid!) played JLL and a young Winona Ryder played his cousin. Alec Baldwin played his other cousin, Jimmy Swaggart.

Not just his [second] cousin but:

The age that a female can marry with parental consent . . .

The young lady's parents probably didn't have many objections. Lewis' bass player (seen in the videos above - contemporary to his marriage) was his cousin/father-in-law.

And his last wife, Judith, is an ex-sister-in-law of Myra, having been married to her brother (and Lee's cousin) Rusty.

Seems his quest for personal relationships never strayed far from family reunions.

Haven't seen any of his TikToks. Was this guy for real?

• Humorous
Reactions: MJP
Who is Elvis? I don't see him on Instagram....

He was a great piano player. To do it while standing, leaping around, and singing just made it more exceptional.

Back