• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Getting married, but want to enlist.

SonarOptional

Inactive
Reaction score
Hey guys,

Recently I've been thinking really hard about appyling for the Navy and becoming a Sonar Op. The only issue is, I'm getting married next July. I don't want to go through all of the application steps only to tell me they are sending me to basic on a date to close to my wedding.

What's the best course of action? Wait until after?

SonarOptional said:
Recently I've been thinking really hard about appyling for the Navy and becoming a Sonar Op. The only issue is, I'm getting married next July. I don't want to go through all of the application steps only to tell me they are sending me to basic on a date to close to my wedding.

What's the best course of action? Wait until after?

Not really a recruiting related question but more a career choice question seeking an opinion and opinions can and do vary from Recruiter to Recruiter.

Being single and joining the CF is all about "you" but joining the CF while already being married needs to be a family discussion and decision, as your career will definitely have an impact on your future spouse.  There will be periods of occupation related separations from your family, some short and some long not to mention the periodic geographical relocations that come with this job.  Being away from your family will definitely put your relationship to the test.  Don't expect to live close to your hometown or relatives, so prepare for and expect this to happen at some point in time.

Here is some light reading material for both you and your future spouse.  http://www.forces.ca/en/page/forfamilies-151

After discussing the possibility of the CF being a career for both of you and if your future spouse supports such a decision, I'd recommend you start studying/preparing to write the CFAT (Aptitude Test), as this is thee most important part of your application process.  The better you do on your CFAT, the greater the chances of continuing your process and some day receiving an offer of employment in your chosen occupation(s).  Whether you think you need to study or not, is your choice but those who do, tend to be more succesful than those who don't.

My recommendation........

Study for 3-4 months, submit your online application and write the CFAT.  This portion of the process involves only a time commitment on your part and at least you will have the testing done, out of the way, have an idea on where your chances may stand and be set-up for future processing.  If you like, you can then close your application after this and come back to it at a later date.  Get married first, settled in and start your life together.  Afterwards and when you think the two of you are ready to continue, re-open your application and let nature take it's course.  Inbetween writing the CFAT and the future pursuit of your application process, do some research on the CF, your occupation(s) choices, military life for spouses, etc, etc.  Don't walk into this blind nor without the support of your spouse.

If you happen to be successful and are made an offer of employment, two main things to consider early on in your career are the fact that you will be separated from your spouse for a minimum of 6-12 months (maybe longer) and your ability to support your family on a limited income for the first few years.  After that, things should pretty much fall into place.

Good luck and choose wisely.    :salute:

Back