• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Getting commissioned after NCM

haq_gamer

Inactive
Reaction score
So I have a question If I join the navy as an ncm and already hold a degree in engineering how long will it take me to apply for SCP and another question would be would I have to rewrite the CFAT if I apply for SCP later on as an ncm and how hard is the processand about how many positions are available every year for SCP in the navy? I already tried to join as DEO but my CFAT was too low.

haq_gamer said:
So I have a question If I join the navy as an ncm and already hold a degree in engineering how long will it take me to apply for SCP and another question would be would I have to rewrite the CFAT if I apply for SCP later on as an ncm and how hard is the processand about how many positions are available every year for SCP in the navy? I already tried to join as DEO but my CFAT was too low.

I personally have not done this, but if you get in as an NCM and want to be an officer later you can, but I do believe you have to wait until resigning and you'd need to talk to a BPSO.  And as far as I know it's all possible, but you do have to re do the CFAT.

haq_gamer, if what you actually want is to be a Navy officer, I recommend requesting to redo the CFAT. Regardless of the entry plan (ROTP, DEO, SCP, UTPNCM, CFR), you will need to meet the minimum cut-off for an officer on the CFAT. While serving as an NCM may be valuable experience, it is not necessarily going to prepare you for rewriting the CFAT in the future. You will need to study and retest now, or do it later.

If you have a Bachelor's of Engineering, you likely have the aptitude to do well on the test but came in unprepared... the test is half math-based problem solving questions, using grade 10 and lower level math, after all. The practice aptitude test on Forces.ca is a good indication of the various types of questions on the test, you should be able to find your own resources on primary and secondary school math functions (without a calculator). You've also taken the test once already, so you should know generally what to expect if you retest.

I have witnessed individuals substantially increase their CFAT score after retesting, with proper preparation. While it is an aptitude test, it does require substantial prerequisite knowledge to complete the problem solving section.

Best of luck.

haq_gamer, as for your question regarding the Special Commissioning Plan (SCP), the information can be found online (link below). To apply, you need to have met Operational Functional Point in your MOSID. It is also highly desirable to have comments from your Commanding Officer substantiating your potential to serve as an officer... which means you will have to prove yourself first, a difficult task for a junior NCM that has not yet been given leadership and personnel management responsibilities. Note the policy states,
"In the absence of substantive comments from the CO, it may be assumed that the applicant has relatively low potential for service as an officer".

Your main hurdle to becoming an officer at the moment is rewriting the CFAT. If you plan to join as an NCM and later commission through the SCP, you will need to both rewrite the CFAT and demonstrate to you chain of command that you have the potential to succeed as an officer.

https://www.canada.ca/en/department-national-defence/corporate/policies-standards/defence-administrative-orders-directives/5000-series/5002/5002-11-special-commissioning-plan.html

Back