• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Gen.-Maj. Kurt Panzer Meyer Waffen-SS, Sells BEER Too Canadian Occupation Troops

Chispa

Inactive
Reaction score
PBA: Hi this will be my last Thread on SWW, or some new stuff surfaces, and plausible will only dig in too all that stuff in some years from now, pre & FWW awaits.

Gen.-Maj. Kurt “Panzer” Meyer Waffen-SS, Sells BEER Too Canadian Occupation Troops.

Quite an interesting article on Meyer during his incarceration and post, spent some time in Canada. It's to be noted, Meyer requested if Simonds was interested in publishing his manuscript, war memoirs, owing a book published by a war criminal was not favourable. Simonds refused after discovering he was portrayed as, unprofessional, incompetent, etc., etc.

Note the link will take U to the second page of the article, first, is prior page, and the third, is found 5 pages later on P. 95 I believe.     

Ottawa Citizen Feb 1 1957: Meyer Sells Beer to Canadian Occupation Troops.....
https://news.google.com/newspapers?nid=2194&dat=19570201&id=4-kxAAAAIBAJ&sjid=wuIFAAAAIBAJ&pg=6572,500957&hl=en

THK U FR YR TME

C.U.

Meyer's book is interesting and I note in this article that one of the fallacies that he perpetuated is repeated there. That, the 12th SS Division was reduced to "a Bn" by mid August of 1944. German records clearly discount this showing that he actually had a ration strength of about 12,000 at the end of August after suffering about 8,000 casualties in the 70 or so days his Division was in action. While it is probably true that his Division was reduced to the support troops (logistics and to a lesser extent, artillery) and that the bulk of his tanks and vehicles had been destroyed or lost, his division was hardly completely shattered and there are numerous examples on the Eastern Front and later in the war of divisions reconstituting after experiencing less losses. Don't get be wrong though, clearly taking 40% casualties, mostly concentrated in his F echelon, would have rendered the 12th SS Division combat ineffective, but he still led a fair number of soldiers by the end of the Normandy campaign.

Back